Atlanta

This is a discussion on Atlanta within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many of you know that I was very close to moving to Atlanta recently. Some of you have asked for the story of why that ...

Thread: Atlanta

Atlanta

Many of you know that I was very close to moving to Atlanta recently. Some of you have asked for the story of why that did not happen. So here it is:

To make a very long and convoluted story readable, let me summarize.

I had a job offer from WGCL, the CBS station in Atlanta. They flew me to ATL for an interview and they like me, I liked them. The station is beautiful from a Technician's view point. They offered the job and I accepted. It was a roughly 12% increase in my pay. Plus they told me they would give me $3,000 moving expenses in the form of a check payable to me to be used for what ever we needed to use it for. Further, my schedule would be Monday through Friday, 10am to 6pm. That was great as it allowed me to bypass the heaviest of the ATL rush hour.

They then flew me and my wife to ATL, put us up in a very nice hotel (named "Twelve" in Atlantic Station) paid for all of our meals and rented us a car for 3 days. This was to allow us to find a house or apartment.

We found a place in Woodstock, North and a bit West of the city off of 575.

When I got home from my last day at the station I work at now, I had an email waiting for me informing me that, my schedule would be Wednesday through Sunday, the hours would be 8am to 5pm and the $1,200 for moving would be included on my first paycheck, as we had supposedly discussed! I was stunned. The email was sent at exactly 5pm Atlanta time from the time stamp on it which means they sent it to me as they were headed out the door for the weekend. And they knew that it was my last day where I worked. It was sent to my home email address so I would be sure to get it after having left for the last time here in Memphis.

In other words, they lied to me and made sure not to inform me of this until it was too late for me to stay where I was working. Or so they thought.

I called the fellow who was to be my new boss on his cell phone, which he was not too pleased about, and wanted to know the meaning of all this. I pointed out the problems and how several things that I had been told were now completely different and his only response was that I must have misunderstood and that they never told me those things. (He is the one who said them to me, to my face as we stood in his office.)

After thinking about the mess that this had become for a day, my wife pointed out this: "If they are lieing to you this badly now, before you are even there, what else will they pull on you when you are actually there and we are all moved to the area and stuck?" God love my wife, she has a way of summing up everything very well.

So I spoke to my boss here in Memphis and told him what was going on and he was very willing to have me stay. My termination papers were torn up, and I came into work the next day like nothing had ever changed.

I did write a nice email to the ATL station and tell then EXACTLY why I would not be coming and EXACTLY what they could do with their job.

We would still like to live in that area though someday. I have to say, while my wife and I were in Atlanta for the house hunting trip, we enjoyed it very much. It is a friendly city. Nothing like Memphis. Memphis has an innate hostility to it. When you are here, it always feels like there is either a gang war or a race riot about to break out. We felt none of that in Atlanta. Everyone there while we were walking down town seemed happy and polite. I actually felt safer in Atlanta at 10pm on a Friday night that I have ever felt in broad daylight in Memphis.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    And now you know the rest of the story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, I wanted to put it out there. I have had several people ask me what happened.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    A Paul Harvey impression doesn't come out to well in typed format.

Like I said before, I'm sure it was a disappointment for you and your family, but at least you found out early on and your current job thinks enough of you to keep you on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

TN Mike, sorry the job in ATL did not pan out, but I think after reading your post that you are better off where you are. Your wife sounds like she has your best interests at heart!

Smart woman, Mike.

Good thing you listened. It will not likely get better, only worse.

Had a friend talk to me about his boss one time.
    The boss had been having an affair, which was common knowledge at work.

My friend's comment was, "If he'll do that to his wife, what will he do to me?"

Wise comment.

Good luck on prospects for the future.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

lucky

good thing you were able to get your old job back, I think that's pretty remarkable in this day and age..

well, you and your wife got some time off and it did not come out of your pocket.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Also.... keep in mind when a company sends you moving expenses, it's considered income and you get a 1099. Most people who did the "cash for clunkers" deal will also get that unpleasant suprise.

Glad it's settled....
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Interesting story, glad it turned out OK. Your wife is most wise. I grew up in Memphis, spent 9 years in Atlanta and the last 20 in Charlotte, NC. Atlanta can be just as bad as Memphis. If you really want to feel safe in a downtown, come to Charlotte. You won't believe it.

Links