Dumb anti-gun letters to Salt Lake Tribune

This is a discussion on Dumb anti-gun letters to Salt Lake Tribune within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guns and greed Both greed and guns are addictive. Those addicted to greed are obsessed with wealth far beyond their needs. Their compulsion results in ...

Thread: Dumb anti-gun letters to Salt Lake Tribune

Thumbs down Dumb anti-gun letters to Salt Lake Tribune

Guns and greed

Both greed and guns are addictive. Those addicted to greed are obsessed with wealth far beyond their needs. Their compulsion results in a stunning indifference to others, which is also true of the gun addict. Gun addicts demand guns and ammunition far beyond their needs, with firearms at the very center of their lives. Self defense is used as an excuse, and a willingness to shoot to kill and to shoot first and ask questions later is the gun addict's mantra. Both addicts flip off Judeo-Christian morality and worship at the godless alter of Friedrich Nietzsche and Ayn Rand, celebrating what Eric Fromm called "malignant narcissism."

The Republican Party has become the voice for greed and guns, hyping both addictions as virtues, and society has paid a terrible price in loss of wealth and lives. Any respectable government is obligated to provide security for its citizens and should establish tight restrictions on both greed and guns. The GOP neither has the will nor moral integrity to accomplish this.

Ron M[...] - Salt Lake City
    Another recent letter from the same idiot.

Gun-crazed GOP

How does Senate Bill 11, the Utah-Made Firearms Act, which the governor signed, benefit Utah when felons, drug addicts, gun-traffickers and the mentally deranged can flock to Utah and buy any number of Utah-made guns and avoid the federal background check they know full well they would fail? Laws are meant to improve society, not make it more violent.

Thank heavens for the federal government and the U.S. Constitution, which will hopefully put this parochial madness to rest.

The Legislature, Gov. Gary Herbert and Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff are so crazed by states rights and flipping off the federal government that they are willing to gamble on the lives of Utah citizens and the reputation of the state. Who voted for these people? They certainly can't represent the majority of Utah citizens. Our Republican-controlled Legislature has already given Utah the poorest public schools in the nation, hyped getting a concealed weapon permit so that it is quick, easy and cheap for all Americans at Utah taxpayers' expense, and looked the other way as Utah became the major dump site for nuclear waste.

Utah will continue to suffer from this monumental stupidity until the addled GOP political machine is removed from power.

2. Remove Ads

Those letters seem to be from a very literate person who knows nothing about guns and lives in a very comfortable, blissfully ignorant existence about the risk of crime and what the police can and cannot do for him.

I'll say one thing, that I'm sure won't be well received... I have no problem with going through a background check in order to be licensed to carry a handgun, nor do I have a problem with being required to go through some education and a proficiency test. I don't know that I would be in favor of a law that makes it legal for anyone over _x_ age to carry a gun around.

Now that I've said that... INCOMING!

I can just see criminals flocking to Utah to buy guns, because of course they can't get guns now where they are at, after all it is against the law.

Anti-gunners are an ignorant bunch.

hutto, nice abstract and backwards look at the 2d amendment. One day You will be the one who cannot buy a gun for some anti-gunners reason, then the whining will commence. Right now you are not affected so who cares right? Maybe one day the law will state if you have a traffic violation, you cannot own a firearm.....

the second is about sporting a hunting right? there should be testING done for our right given to us by our forefathers right?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    "Both addicts flip off Judeo-Christian morality and worship at the godless alter of Friedrich Nietzsche and Ayn Rand, celebrating what Eric Fromm called "malignant narcissism."

This guy makes some pretty bold statements that show he has absolutely zero knowledge of the people or motivation behind the "addiction" of gun ownership.

I will admit however, that you can always use at least one more.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    "Who voted for these people? They certainly can't represent the majority of Utah citizens."

Actually, I voted for them, and yes....they do represent the majority of Utah citizens. YOU HOWEVER, DO NOT.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    People like the letter writers are living proof that extra-terrestrials are living here on earth. What planet did these people come from?

I guess that I'm an addict. Addicted to freedom and the right to choose. Addicted to the American lifestyle and the right to defend it.

bozo
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

What'd he say? I think it's one letter that was just re-written. He didn't get it right either time, so look out for letter three.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Actually, those appear to be written by a pseudo-intellectual because his vocabulary level doesn't jibe with its use or his overall logic. He made sure to spell "Nietzsche" correctly but spelled "alter" wrong (should be "altar"). He read a couple of books (by "a couple" I literally mean "two") and has just been dying to impress someone by using the term 'malignant narcissism' as a quoted reference for that extra-brainy flair.

He's a tool and he knows it. He's just hoping you don't.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

It wouldn't surprise me if the writer of those letters ends up being found to be someone working in the Obama administration just like the Ellie Light letters were.

Just another person who think themselves highly educated but in reality, knows very little about many things.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"The Republican Party has become the voice for greed and guns, hyping both addictions as virtues, and society has paid a terrible price in loss of wealth and lives. Any respectable government is obligated to provide security for its citizens and should establish tight restrictions on both greed and guns. "

You know, he's partly right and does not even know, understand, or care to see where. Guns have helped cause terrible losses of lives. And the gov is obligated to try to provide for the security of it's citizens. BUT........ it's the criminals that have used the guns to take too many lives and it's the gov that constantly lets them out to do it again. So how in the world can you blame a law abiding gun owner for that? Simply amazing. And how would disarming them make them safer? And blaming the worlds problems on one party is pretty simple minded.

And this.

"Thank heavens for the federal government and the U.S. Constitution, which will hopefully put this parochial madness to rest."

Did he read the constitution? Oh yeah, the coma between militia and the right of the people was an accident, not a separate thought. What a clown. Unfortunately, he is allowed to vote. Maybe we should rethink that.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    But he used the word "parochial" in a sentence. He MUST be smart!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Interesting comment, about majority elected representative not representing the majority. Civics lesson, Johnnie?

Our Republican-controlled Legislature has ... hyped getting a concealed weapon permit so that it is quick, easy and cheap for all Americans at Utah taxpayers' expense ...
    I seem to recall a healthy fee that I paid from my checkbook, for the privilege. No Utah citizen covered a nickel of it, last I checked.

By the way, I'm able to carry a defensive firearm in my state and Utah without any politicians' permissions procedure, merely by virtue of being a citizen. That's as it should be.

Utah will continue to suffer from this monumental stupidity until the addled GOP political machine is removed from power.
    Yes, upstanding citizens will continue to benefit from this "flipping off" of the feds, who have it "in" for citizens' ability to protect themselves. Utah's thinking leaders, on the other hand, seem to respect life and everyone's right to defend it, to the point they'll go to great lengths to achieve it even in the face of stiff resistance by the unthinking mob. Even if those in desperate need of being "flipped off" wear "I'm from Washington and Here to Help" buttons on their lapels. More power to them.

Both greed and guns are addictive.
    Implying "guns" are bad, inherently, with no redeeming value, irrespective of purpose. Irrespective of the utility of a defensive, life saving tool such as a firearm?

Little Johnnie needs a refresher course in practical utility. He needs it before he find out the true utility at the hands of a criminal, in a situation where he is devoid of the ability to defend the lives of his family members because of his blind devotion to avoiding the "evil" gun.

Gun addicts demand guns and ammunition far beyond their needs, with firearms at the very center of their lives. Self defense is used as an excuse, and a willingness to shoot to kill and to shoot first and ask questions later is the gun addict's mantra.
    Assumptions make a person look a fool. All too often, that's a spot on assessment.

I'm an upstanding person. I have no addiction of the sort claimed by this unknown person. I seek an effective and practical life-saving tool that can be used to defend my life and the lives of my loved ones in the event of violent criminal attack. I seek the tools to achieve that ability. Those tools require competency through regular training, and that training requires supplies. I seek sufficient ammunition to support my training needs. I seek to avoid heinous prices inherent in small-lot purchases, taking advantage of case-size quantities that cover about 10 days' worth of shooting. I also seek to guard against the hateful and short-sighted attempts by some in temporary seats of power to deny citizens the ability to defend themselves, via attempting to deny them access to arms or ammunition. Such people would condemn me straight to Hades for my taking steps to ensure preparedness. Them first.

Both addicts flip off Judeo-Christian morality and worship at the godless alter of Friedrich Nietzsche and Ayn Rand, celebrating what Eric Fromm called "malignant narcissism."
    My morality is of sufficient quality and strength that howls from the "cheap seats" do little to shake my knowledge that it's sufficient for myself and my family.

Rand's keystone ideal is best stated in the oath of John Galt, which stated:

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    The suckers of life are the ones who dare attempt to eviscerate the ability of citizens to defend themselves against criminals. They seek death and destruction, with the blood of innocents as the grease of the motor that keeps it running for their own petty satisfaction.

I choose life. I won't abandon a quality one for anybody. The essentials of Rand's ideal formed a keystone foundation to my character, long before I read Rand.

The life suckers who devalue it can go jump off the nearest cliff that suits them.

Any respectable government is obligated to provide security for its citizens and should establish tight restrictions ...
    All citizens worthy of the name hold the eternal responsibility to retain the right and ability to defend against criminals and crime ... both foreign and domestic, no matter the cost. All citizens remain forever obligated to control the uncontrollable beast that is "government." Any government hack who seeks to destroy this right deserves removal by citizens, no matter the cost.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 14th, 2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Hi everyone. My name's Steve. Im an addict, I can admit that now. Currently Im on the 5th step, learning to accept that not everyone is out to kill me coz no Im aware of everything that goes on around me. I finally surpassed the 4th step of greed with a little help from our "friends" in the government who I will reluctantly give up to 30% of my earnings this year because felons, drug addicts the mentally deranged and corrupt teacher's unions apparently need it more than I do.

And I accept this.

VIP Member
    As always ccw9mm, I really enjoy reading your posts. You seem to find eloquent ways to write many of my thoughts I can't seem to put on paper (or your computer screen).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Links