Anyone use an iPhone?

Anyone use an iPhone?

This is a discussion on Anyone use an iPhone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm thinking of getting one. Pros and cons? Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use an iPhone?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Anyone use an iPhone?

I'm thinking of getting one. Pros and cons?

Thanks.

I've got a 3G. I love it. Don't ever want to go back to a regular phone. I would reccomend it over any other touchscreen. It just has a much better screen, better definition, better everything.

Go for it.

I was thinking of getting rid of mine till I heard of all the new features that will come with the next big OS update. I really do like mine, my only complaint being that it's uncomfortable to hold for long conversations.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I've owned every smart phone on the market since the original Blackberry. I love my iPhone. Everything has hiccups here and there...but have been worked out with the software upgrades they are continually providing. The Blackberry's are better for strictly a business environment and email. But the app store and insane amount of versatility and customization that the iPhone provides keeps me happy. The initial "con" for me was the touch screen keypad...but I've grown to like it a lot.

If Verizon does get the iPhone I will get one but till then I won't becaue AT&T sucks.

I like everything about my iPhone. The only real downsides are the lack of Flash Support and not being able to multi task. If I were you I would be taking a long hard look at some of the droid phones.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

EW3
    I have the 3GS model, bought it last July and LOVE it. Each week I discover a new App that is pretty cool.

Right now my favorites are:
    DirecTV: set the DVR right from the iPhone, anywhere
    Online Radio
    WiFi Network finder
    Calendar
    Facebook
    Calculator
    Battery Status
    Flashlight: turns the whole screen into a flashlight!
    Urbanspoon: find restaurant ratings
    Redbox
    Dictionary

I could never go back to using a regular cell phone; too crude and old fashioned!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I-Phone:
    Pluses....It's a fine device.
    Minuses...Must use AT&T, that's a deal killer for me.

CC
    I love all the apps that you can get. I hate that it is underpowered and can only do one thing at a time.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I like mine,best phone so far. One thing,get the Otter Defender case to protect the phone. Best 50 bucks you can spend.

I love my iPhone. I use it for so many things that have nothing to do with it being a phone. I have wikipedia, imdb, netflix, tetris, Pandora, my iPod, a camera, GPS, the Weather Channel, Amazon, etc,etc,etc in my pocket everywhere I go. It really changes the way you live. lol

I actually have no problem with AT&T. And for those who think Verizon would be way better, here are some things to be aware of:

AT&T's non-3G coverage area is comparable to Verizon's 3G area. But not all 3G is created equal...

AT&T's non-3G data network (EDGE) is almost as fast as Verizon's 3G. AT&T's 3G is much faster.

AT&T's 3G allows you to use voice and data at the same time. Verizon's doesn't. This is a big deal because while you might not need to use the net while on the phone, it cuts both ways... you also cannot receive a call while using the net!

Yeah, AT&T's customer service sucks, but I challenge you to find a cellular company that has good customer service. lol I've had zero trouble with their network, whether I'm in 3G or EDGE. The coverage is pretty good for 3G, and even if you're not in 3G, you're still on as good a network as Verizon provides.

I don't want to sound like an AT&T fan boy, but just saying my experience has been pretty decent, and take what you hear from Verizon commercials with a grain of salt. lol

VIP Member
    I have one with 3G data service. I guess whether or not you need one, or want one, depends on what your daily activities are like.

In our household, I have both an el-cheapo regular cell phone which is really what I prefer for voice service, and an iPhone.. The iPhone is OK for checking email and excellent for text messaging. The built in camera is pretty good for a cell phone, and we use it a lot instead of taking a small digital camera along.

The browser is marginal, but some of the apps made for specific purposes such as checking on bank accounts etc., are nice. Thing is, who wants to walk around with that info on something you can easily loose.

The built in GPS works well to a point, but is no substitute for a dedicated GPS.

Really, except for when we are on the road and out of town, I don't need the internet access that iPhone provides and which costs 30 bucks a month.

And, the ATT 3G is just not widely distributed. You can't count on being able to download maps or GPS stuff once you are slightly out of a city or off a very well traveled highway.

Battery life is poor. Very poor.

We put Skype on ours, but unless you have WiFi access you can't use it because ATT won't let Skype through their 3G system. We were able to make Skype calls from a hotel in New Zealand, but they charged for the WiFi access--a lot.

As far as music, a dedicated ipod gets the job done better.

When the contract is up I don't think we will get another one, but then the big boss hasn't spoken yet and she is the one who uses the iphone; a lot.

I have the 3GS and love it. I quit carrying my laptop with me everywhere because of it. I can...

access the web,
    get all of my email (several accounts) in one place,
    stream podcasts, Pandora, radio apps and youtube videos,
    twitter,
    facebook,
    managing my blog with Wordpress,
    track expenses and billable hours for work,
    Tune my guitar,
    record songs,
    Record, edit and upload video and photos,
    Read books,
    Download music, videos, books, and podcasts over the air
    Manage my calendar,
    GPS and Google maps,
    Check the Weather,
    To Do list,
    Get coupons,
    and so much more.

It's worth getting. And I've had AT&T for 6 years. No real problems.

I have had just about every smartphone since the early blackberries. I would strongly agree about some things that have been said and strongly disagree about others.

OS 4 is coming out this summer probaby june or july and will offer the main feature that most people complain about, multitasking. I liked to palm pre but palm is going down the tubes and is rumored to be up for sale shortly, which translates to poor continued support.

The only downside to the phone is the battery life. I would consider myself a "power user" and I get a full days use out of it, you just have to get used to charging everynight.

The shear amount of apps and the fact that apple doesnt release something until it is beyond polished makes me more happy with my iphone than any blackberry or palm or windows mobile phone that I ever had. I promise if you actually use all the stuff you can do you will love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    I love my iPhone. I use it for so many things that have nothing to do with it being a phone. I have wikipedia, imdb, netflix, tetris, Pandora, my iPod, a camera, GPS, the Weather Channel, Amazon, etc,etc,etc in my pocket everywhere I go. It really changes the way you live. lol

I actually have no problem with AT&T. And for those who think Verizon would be way better, here are some things to be aware of:

AT&T's non-3G coverage area is comparable to Verizon's 3G area. But not all 3G is created equal...

AT&T's non-3G data network (EDGE) is almost as fast as Verizon's 3G. AT&T's 3G is much faster.

AT&T's 3G allows you to use voice and data at the same time. Verizon's doesn't. This is a big deal because while you might not need to use the net while on the phone, it cuts both ways... you also cannot receive a call while using the net!

Yeah, AT&T's customer service sucks, but I challenge you to find a cellular company that has good customer service. lol I've had zero trouble with their network, whether I'm in 3G or EDGE. The coverage is pretty good for 3G, and even if you're not in 3G, you're still on as good a network as Verizon provides.

I don't want to sound like an AT&T fan boy, but just saying my experience has been pretty decent, and take what you hear from Verizon commercials with a grain of salt. lol
    I've always had great customer service from Verizon and living in Maine their coverage is awesome. Yes, there are a lot of dead zones but AT&T cannot compete with their coverage in Northern Maine and AT&T's customer service is some of the worst I've ever read about.

I would love to have an iPhone as I told the last guy a few weeks ago that was trying to get me to renew my 2 year contract I told him I will as soon as they get the iPhone which he could not confirm but he also did not deny that it wasn't going to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links