Bolo machete

This is a discussion on Bolo machete within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had an 18" bolo I bought from a local when in the Philippines before I went to J.E.S.T. Lost it in customs, due to ...

Thread: Bolo machete

Bolo machete

I had an 18" bolo I bought from a local when in the Philippines before I went to J.E.S.T. Lost it in customs, due to the wooden handle not being 'properly dried'. It was made from a deuce and a half leaf spring and was the best field knife/machete I've fielded.

I'm starting high mountain hiking/camping again this year, which for most things means smaller and lighter. But not for my knife, I need something 3/8" thick, 18"- 12" long with a full tang. I'm looking for a true field knife, carbon steel with a low degree angle on the edge. Nothing with dragon heads or serrations on the back. Just a real life tool.

I'm not so much concerned about price if the product is right, at the same time, I'm not looking for pretty. Just a quality tool that can work it's way through a 4" green tree with me doing my part.

Only interested in real life experince, and bolo configuration only.

Thanks, rhinokrk
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

2. Remove Ads

Google Shopping results: bolo machete - Google Product Search

I like the idea of one from a deuce and a half leaf spring. I now have a project when I get back home...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I don't know if this fits the bill or not but the guys from Randall's Adventure Training and designers of the Rat Cutlery Knives have taught Jungle Survival in the South American jungles of Peru for over 15 years. They use their production knives in each class they teach. Blade thickness on this may be a little thin for your specs but I'm sure it's a durable short machete to last a lifetime. (btw... if you've kept up with Rat Cutlery, they recently changed the name of their knife company from Rat Cutlery to ESEE Knives which is the Peruvian Military equivalent to U.S. Military SERE School)

Randall Adventure Training & ESEE Knives, formerly RAT Cutlery website here.

ESEE Junglas Fixed Blade

Specs:
    * Overall length: 16.5 inches
    * Overall Handle Length: 5.88 inches
    * Overall Handle Thickness: .88”
    * Blade Max Thickness: .188”
    * Weight Without Sheath: 22.5 ounces
    * High Sabre Blade Grind
    * Hammer Pommel
    * Canvas Micarta Handles (Removable)
    * 1095 Steel Blade – Black Powder Coated
    * Made In The USA By ESEE Knives / Rowen Manufacturing
    * Ambidextrous Kydex Sheath with Cordura MOLLE Back (On Models Shipped With Sheath)

Oh, and no one has a better Warranty!

Warranty Info
    No Questions Asked Warranty. If you screw it up, break it, or cut it in two with a cutting torch, send it back and we'll replace it. Warranty is transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away. We don't ask for a sales receipt, date of purchase or where you bought the knife - No fine print and no hassles. If you have a problem, contact us.

We do not warranty against rust or normal wear and tear. Note: Our knives are made from high carbon 1095 steel. And while 1095 is a top choice for professional cutlery designed for hard use, it will rust and stain if not properly cared for - especially on the cutting edge and around the laser engraving. It is the user's responsibility to keep the blades properly lubricated and cleaned. We suggest using a dry film rust inhibitor such as TUF-GLIDE or TUF-CLOTH.

A lot of folks have asked us how we can stay in business offering such great customer service and warranty protection. The answer is simple; we believe that American consumers, as a whole, are honest people. The occasional customers who are dishonest are few and far between, so even if we lose every once in a while due to dishonesty, our reputation of great customer service, regardless of the situation, brings us more good customers.

Randall's Adventure & Training only guarantees and offers customer service on knives built by ESEE Knives (Formerly RAT Cutlery Company) and any knife manufactured by RAT Cutlery Company before the name changed to ESEE Knives. Randall's Adventure & Training does not guarantee or offer any customer service for knives that are manufactured by any other company. Randall's Adventure & Training does not guarantee or offer a warranty on any knife manufactured by Ontario Knife Company.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Go to knifetests.com ~ Here is the link. www.knifetests.com Home
    Check out the destruction tests on the Busse Combat knives. There are more on Page 2
    Warning....some of his tests are PAINFULLY slow moving & you'll feel like yelling "Hurry Up!" cuss words at your monitor but, no knife holds up like an INFI Steel Busse - though I am tough on knifes and do not ever "baby" a working knife I've never put any of my knives through that extreme abuse even in deep woods survival training.
    It's reassuring to know that the knife that you're carrying can take absolutely any abuse that you may need to throw at it though.

I would take a serious look at the new Busse Bushwacker Mistress Combat Grade at $375. ~ though the blade is thinner than you want (3/16") - that is actually a plus for a machete type blade and the INFI is so damn tough that it's sure to be a really fast, effective, and nearly indestructible general survival utility & chopper.
    It will be my next Busse purchase. Here is the link to Busse Combat Welcome to the Busse Combat Knife Company

The Busse that I am taking with me now is this one.
    the NMSFNO

(flicker web photo - not mine)

OMG QKShooter...

That guy is seriously insane! Yes, his video's are painfully long... but he has a system!

I freaked when he did the SOG SEAL 2000 destruction video underwater wearing scuba gear! But who the hell else but him would actually do that!

I've seen a couple of his videos on a couple RAT Cutlery knives and while they didn't make it to the end of the entire process... I wouldn't not get one either. They held up as well or better than most according to him.

One thing is sure. He seems to know what to expect out of what steel the knife is made with.

+1 on Knifetests.com
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for the links guys, 3/16" is a bit thick. I'm off to work I'll check out the links when I get home :)

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    For a knife that large I'm partial to the Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie. The blade is about 9 inches and sharp enough to shave with. I used one many years ago to chop through a 5 inch thick pine tree. My bronco slid on some ice and stratled the tree which was partially blocking the road. The Trailmaster took chunks out of that tree better that a hatchet or axe. I was back on my way in about 10 minutes and the knife was still sharp enough to shave with.

I just looked at several on ebay,I too have used the exact bolo you are speaking of.It was a buddys and I tried many times to get from him.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    For a knife that large I'm partial to the Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie. The blade is about 9 inches and sharp enough to shave with. I used one many years ago to chop through a 5 inch thick pine tree. My bronco slid on some ice and stratled the tree which was partially blocking the road. The Trailmaster took chunks out of that tree better that a hatchet or axe. I was back on my way in about 10 minutes and the knife was still sharp enough to shave with.
    Ditto for the Trailmaster Bowie, I've used it to clear my backyard!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I've always been fond of the Khukuri.
    Kukri House - khukuri knives dealer from Nepal run by ex-Gurkha Army appears to be a good distributor, but I have not used their products personally.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Go to knifetests.com ~ Here is the link. www.knifetests.com Home
    Check out the destruction tests on the Busse Combat knives. There are more on Page 2
    Warning....some of his tests are PAINFULLY slow moving & you'll feel like yelling "Hurry Up!" cuss words at your monitor but, no knife holds up like an INFI Steel Busse - though I am tough on knifes and do not ever "baby" a working knife I've never put any of my knives through that extreme abuse even in deep woods survival training.
    It's reassuring to know that the knife that you're carrying can take absolutely any abuse that you may need to throw at it though.

I would take a serious look at the new Busse Bushwacker Mistress Combat Grade at $375. ~ though the blade is thinner than you want (3/16") - that is actually a plus for a machete type blade and the INFI is so damn tough that it's sure to be a really fast, effective, and nearly indestructible general survival utility & chopper.
    It will be my next Busse purchase. Here is the link to Busse Combat Welcome to the Busse Combat Knife Company

The Busse that I am taking with me now is this one.
    the NMSFNO

(flicker web photo - not mine)
    Thanks for both links, I like the FFBM. Joined the forum and will do some more research. I like the chopping power of the combat grade on the dead hardwood in the video. That guy diffidently needs to learn about film pacing. Busse is at the top of my short list.

[q]I've always been fond of the Khukuri.
    Kukri House - khukuri knives dealer from Nepal run by ex-Gurkha Army appears to be a good distributor, but I have not used their products personally. [/q]
    DW, at that price point I'll probably grab up one of those, looks to be made the same way as my old bolo. Price may be cheap, but I only payed a fifth of Jim Beam for mine (peso was 33.6 to the dollar back then).

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    While I haven't used their knives, I did order some as gifts. The invoice had the product at $10, the rest was shipping.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Administrator
    rhinokrk
    "That guy diffidently needs to learn about film pacing."

I heard that.

Links