Need advice from my motorcycle pals!

This is a discussion on Need advice from my motorcycle pals! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey guys! I just found a great deal on a Honda NX125 enduro. It would be a great commuter bike for me, but my question ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from my motorcycle pals!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar

Need advice from my motorcycle pals!

Hey guys!
    I just found a great deal on a Honda NX125 enduro. It would be a great commuter bike for me, but my question is:

Can this little bike haul my 300+lb butt?

I've never had an enduro, nor any bike under 700cc's.

15 mile commute.

Opinions?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

2. Remove Ads

BTW..asking before I go check it out, as it's a haul to go see it, and I don't want to waste my time if my butt will crush it!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Will it move, yes. Will it do so with out effort, NOPE. Don't plan on too much expressway running with it. In fact, that wouldn't be legal for expressway up here in MI. If it were me, I'd look for something like a 250 dual sport or a 250/500 cruiser/sport standard.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Thanks Jackle.
    It IS legal here in TN. (has lights, horn, can be registered).
    The ride is 15 miles. 0ne stretch of 45mph, the rest is all 30mph.

This would be strictly a commuter and maybe very light offroad, IF it COULD haul me.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Administrator
    I'm a fairly avid dual sporter, I ride a 400cc. It has plenty of power for around town, in fact I'm pretty confident that I can out accelerate anything on 4 wheels to about 40-50 mph. I won't ride my DS bike on the highway, but its not for the lack of power, its the lack of stability that gets you on a DS bike.

Also, DS bikes are geared a lot lower than a street bike, so long runs at higher speeds get really buzzy. You can always raise your ratio, but with a 125, there isn't a whole lot of room to work with. BUT, the good news is, with the lower gearing and a minimalist type of build, you don't need a large displacement to get some decent performance out of a DS bike. 20-30 HP is all you really need, anything more is just for wheelies.

The NX125 is a sought after bike in the DS community. It will haul your 300 # butt around just fine, but don't expect to win any trophys. Also, expect to respring the suspension, as that bike was probably set up for a rider at 130, 150 pounds. It doesn't cost a whole lot to do that, any bike shop should be able to. But it is super important to do so, other wise the bike will handle like a wet noodle with a guy your size on it... and that can get you killed.

I keep thinking of things to add; The early Honda four strokes are what the Chinese are copying to put in their junk they are now selling. Despite the Chinese bikes being junk, the engines are actually fairly decent. This means that you can buy Chinese engine parts at a fraction of the cost for Honda parts. This can get out of a bind until you locate the correct Honda part.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is the standard family car in many parts of the world

couple of points if it has knobbies they will wear quickly and not provide very good stopping power

as others have said this is not a good highway bike but if you ride within the limits of the bike you will enjoy it
    Steve

Life member

Thanks Sixto!
    That's about what I had suspected, but had no experience to back it up. I figured the power-to-weight and the gearing would be it's advantages.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be considering a small bike, but this seems like a good deal at $900 if the bike is as good as it appears in pictures.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by pir8te View Post
    This is the standard family car in many parts of the world

couple of points if it has knobbies they will wear quickly and not provide very good stopping power

as others have said this is not a good highway bike but if you ride within the limits of the bike you will enjoy it
    It would definitely be ridden inside it's limits. It's mission would be to keep miles off my other high mileage aging vehicles, and rarely see anything other than the ride to work.

Beyond that, it would be a good experience builder for my wife, who loves to ride her automatic scooter, but is curious about riding a manual bike. Good size for her.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I think the decision will come down to how comfortable the bike is for you. Dirt bikes aren't exactly designed for comfortable long rides and as far as I know there aren't many ways to make it much better. I could be wrong though, I've only ever driven other's Dirt Bikes I was always more of an ATV kind of guy. My motorcycle experiences begins and ends with the 79' Bonneville I had in highschool and college.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I concur, a 125 would be hard pressed. My recommendation is
    500+.

I ride a 1700 Voyager though, so I'm a little bias here LOL.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Personally, I would opt for something a little larger. You need to give consideration to your physical frame as well as your weight. Riding for any distance with your knees in your ears is not a pleasant way to spend time.
    TU NE CEDE MALIS SED CONTRA AUDENTIOR ITO

Is $900 a good price? I'll bet you could get something bigger/better for just a little more. I have an 82 yamaha maxim 650 in great condition and i found it in the classifieds for $1200 here in Utah.

You may be getting a great price, I am not sure, I'd just encourage you to shop around and check all sorts of different sources to make sure you're getting the best deal.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    Bigger isn't always better. Here is a little urban dual sporting on small displacement, "under powered" bikes. I may or may not be in this video.

Warning, Killer squids ahead,

Enjoy;

YouTube - SuperMoto Madness in Cincinnati
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I concur, a 125 would be hard pressed. My recommendation is
    500+.

I ride a 1700 Voyager though, so I'm a little bias here LOL.
    I LIKE bige cruisers too, but mine died, and I don't have a big budget to work with right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DWBoyd View Post
    Personally, I would opt for something a little larger. You need to give consideration to your physical frame as well as your weight. Riding for any distance with your knees in your ears is not a pleasant way to spend time.
    They're pretty tall for small cc bikes. It's a short ride, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post
    Is $900 a good price? I'll bet you could get something bigger/better for just a little more. I have an 82 yamaha maxim 650 in great condition and i found it in the classifieds for $1200 here in Utah.
    You may be getting a great price, I am not sure, I'd just encourage you to shop around and check all sorts of different sources to make sure you're getting the best deal.
    This is TN, and prices started rising months ago. Finding a good bike in my budget at ALL is going to be tough. I just happened to stumble onto this, and I think I can get it for $800 IF I ended up liking it.

If It will haul me, it's in consideration. If not, it's out. It's not a matter of comparing it to something else.

Thanks for the comments guys!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

You are a lot closer to a Moped than a Motorcycle with that 125. You gonna hate life after 15 minutes on it. A man your size outta go at least 1000 cc's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links