How much government waste do you see here?

This is a discussion on How much government waste do you see here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a pic I took recently of a Census van and workers, apparently recruiting more workers. This was in a small town mind you. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much government waste do you see here?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

This is a pic I took recently of a Census van and workers, apparently recruiting more workers. This was in a small town mind you. Is this really necessary?
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It's our stimulus money at work. Just hand it out to one and all. After all, it's free money. I just hope they remember to count themselves.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

VIP Member
    What really kills me is the bogus ads they use to try to convince you of the legitimacy of the whole Census Malarky.

For example, Have you seen the one saying, if you don't tell how many kids there are in your house, they won't know how many schools to build?
    They take a head count in school for this very purpose after school starts.
    Its all baloney if you ask me

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them, it is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is ‘needed’ before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ interests, I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can." Barry Goldwater
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Nothing personal but all I see is a poorly taken picture. I cannot form an opinion over that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Nothing personal but all I see is a poorly taken picture. I cannot form an opinion over that picture.
    I have a crappy camera phone and was a ways away. It's a big blue van with "Census 2010" written all over it. There is a tent with nothing under or around it but a bunch of people talking to each other. There is a banner about needing census workers that is not visible in the pic.

Click on the pic and you get a larger version.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Hey, for all the waste and adding of nosy questions, at least "enumerating the people" really *IS* constitutional. One of the few things that government does which is, in my opinion.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    It's our stimulus money at work. Just hand it out to one and all. After all, it's free money. I just hope they remember to count themselves.
    And it's only costing $14 billion.

What is really wasteful is all the stupid extra man hours spent on delivering census papers to the rural communities. I live in a rural area and the census first came by to gps my house; then they came by to let me know the census is coming in the mail; I received a letter twice on the census is coming in the mail; and finally a census worker hand delivered the census form to my house. Family (who live on farms) in other parts of the state have had the same experience. What, the mail no longer works? I figure they could have saved at least two trips, and a mailing if they had just dropped it off at the post office. What a waste!
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

and this one.
    "if you do not fill out the census then we will not know that you need a second traffic light."

the DOT does traffic studies with the rubber hose across the road. none of that data is from the census.

"Get your fare share" translated "stick your had out and beg for more"

there are 4 people living in my home.
    income - NA
    race - NA
    job - NA
    any and all other questions - NA
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

My dad is working as a census worker while waiting for the ever efficient govt. to process his hiring papers at the local Air Force base. When I was complaining of the very same things you all have mentioned, he said they have problems with mail delivery in rural communities. The post masters will not deliver to a p.o. box so they just send them all back to the govt. This then requires census workers to make an initial human to human contact before they can make the delivery (by hand) of the census form. It is required under their processes and procedures.

I am not sure if his explanation was meant to make me feel better about it, but there is the official reason. None of this makes me feel better, just reaffirms the lack of efficiency we are already aware of.

The ads are my favorite part. They speak of the high cost of using census workers to complete the work and so we all must fill it out when we receive it. So are all these television ads cheaper than census workers? The money is being spent either way in my opinion.

I filled mine out and sent it back but the waste on this project is just ridiculous.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

"there are 4 people living in my home.
    income - NA
    race - NA
    job - NA
    any and all other questions - NA"

NA - short for "none of your damn business"?

Gotta love the tricked out, manufactured in Dusseldorf, Germany Mercedes Benz Daimler AG Frightliner / Dodge Sprinter van re-assembled and rebranded in the USA. Only the best for the Census Bureau. I heard a "gorilla marketing" company out of Atlanta got 10's of millions to help get the message out. Bet it cost a few hundred million less than having Acorn do it.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
    The post masters will not deliver to a p.o. box so they just send them all back to the govt. This then requires census workers to make an initial human to human contact before they can make the delivery (by hand) of the census form. It is required under their processes and procedures.
    So let me get this straight. Supervisory employees of the Federal Govt are refusing to deliver official Federal mail that is Constitutionally mandated.

You know, Hitler may have been one bad dude but I bet he never had these kinds of problems.

It took me awhile to figure it out but the census is like alot of other gov't jobs, it doesn't exist to perform a service, only to spend money so the individual can pay taxes.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

I never got a census form in the mail,I live in the city limits of a town of 50,000 part of a 500,000 metro area and some kid walked up and knocked on my door,good thing he didn't ask how many of those guns you got
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Why not just outsource the whole dam thing to India like everything else.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links