The war for my yard flares up again

This is a discussion on The war for my yard flares up again within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We had a yard full of squirrels, Then a family of Red Tail Hauwks moved in the neighborhood, Tree rat population way down ; ) ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The war for my yard flares up again

We had a yard full of squirrels, Then a family of Red Tail Hauwks moved in the neighborhood, Tree rat population way down ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm not sure what they are, but there are some hawks of some sort that cruise around a lot. I've even seen one sitting on my fence post from time to time. They are not very big, they maybe stand 8 to 10 inches tall. Wing span is somewhere around double that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's illegal where I live, but I've heard that a 22 short fired from a rifle from inside the house through an open window is pretty much undetectable .[/QUOTE]

Most 22 long rifle rounds from a long barrelled rifle can't be heard either. Strictly a research project.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If these are burrowing animals that leave a trail across your yard, a perfect solution for me was to get one of those poison smoke bombs for moles, etc...stick it in the hole, then use a leaf blower to push the smoke down into their network of tunnels

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    You need the RODENATOR!

Pest Control - Moles, Gophers, Burrowing Rodents @ Rodenator

Straight from redneck heaven.

Both the Pro and R2 Remote work on the principal of delivering a precisely measured mixture of propane and oxygen into the tunnel or burrow of invasive pests. This mixture is then detonated by the operator, causing an instantaneous underground shock wave of concussive force that eliminates the pests and in some (species specific) cases collapses some of the existing tunnel structure thus preventing immediate reinfestation.
    Actually, there was a ground squirrel problem around here and the city tried that thing and ended up with a lot of pissed off neighbors (and the squirrels are as plentiful as ever)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not sure what they are, but there are some hawks of some sort that cruise around a lot. I've even seen one sitting on my fence post from time to time. They are not very big, they maybe stand 8 to 10 inches tall. Wing span is somewhere around double that.
    That sounds like what we call a sparrow hawk, and he's there for a reason.

How about using the stuff out of the cat's litter box and sprinkle it on their trail where it enters your property, in fact maybe sprinkle it all along the perimeter.

Google "rataway" it is a chemical that rodents, squirrels hate, I understand it is harmless to people/pets. About $30 buys the concentrate to make a gallon, spray it where they run, chew, hide, etc. Excellent for spraying on the wiring harness of equipment to stop chewing. I think it'll even keep squirrels from chewing on your house. Rataway makes a powdered product that you just sprinkle around where they run, and they hate it as well.

Just some ideas outside the box of regular rodent control........I've got experience.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Around here, we get poisoned wheat from a CO-OP, and mice will come from all over to eat it. They love it. It works so quickly, that even the fastest mouse will not be 10 ft away from it when he's dead.

The problem is, if a 'pet' finds and bites into a dead mouse or even gets a touch of this stuff, they will be dead too....

I went on vacation and had 1 mouse I couldn't seem to trap / catch. So I had gotten a very small bag of it and I put it under the kitchen sink. I forgot to put it out when I left. The mice, ate thru the bag to get to it. There were 13 dead mice on the floor when I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    It's illegal where I live, but I've heard that a 22 short fired from a rifle from inside the house through an open window is pretty much undetectable

Most 22 long rifle rounds from a long barrelled rifle can't be heard either. Strictly a research project.
    Now that the statute of limitations has passed, I can assure you that both your assertions are correct!

Sixto, assuming you have a good sniping location, let me suggest a high-quality air rifle and appropriate scope. My Beeman R9 is the most accurate gun I own, and the R7 on my wish list is quieter, no less accurate, and has plenty of power for mice out to 25 yards or more.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    We have 2 Miniature Dachshunds.... the mice we had living in the back yard did not fare well.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    That sounds like what we call a sparrow hawk, and he's there for a reason.

How about using the stuff out of the cat's litter box and sprinkle it on their trail where it enters your property, in fact maybe sprinkle it all along the perimeter.

Google "rataway" it is a chemical that rodents, squirrels hate, I understand it is harmless to people/pets. About $30 buys the concentrate to make a gallon, spray it where they run, chew, hide, etc. Excellent for spraying on the wiring harness of equipment to stop chewing. I think it'll even keep squirrels from chewing on your house. Rataway makes a powdered product that you just sprinkle around where they run, and they hate it as well.

Just some ideas outside the box of regular rodent control........I've got experience.
    Most of the deer and rodent sprays can be made at home for a few dollars.

Get a new spray bottle. Mix in water, cayenne pepper, garlic, a rotten egg, and a little bit of dish soap. This will usually only cost a dollar or two since most ingredients are already in your home.

If you look at the ingredients of the sprays it usually contains rotten egg and capsicum.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, I'm not one to kill animals just for the sake of killing them either. But, I don't want mice in my yard and certainly not in my house.

The bucket trick sounds like a good idea, I might try it.

Its a little to windy to sight in my Sheridan (its been a while since I shot it). I guess I'll be setting traps.
    Isn't a Sheridan tank a bit extreme? If not, I don't think the wind will really matter much..
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    Most of the deer and rodent sprays can be made at home for a few dollars.

Get a new spray bottle. Mix in water, cayenne pepper, garlic, a rotten egg, and a little bit of dish soap. This will usually only cost a dollar or two since most ingredients are already in your home.

If you look at the ingredients of the sprays it usually contains rotten egg and capsicum.
    Rataway, (no financial interest) has only one active ingredient and it is extremely bitter which rodents hate the smell and taste. I had some chewing on water lines, enough to make them leak, and wiped some on the water lines once a year and they've never been back.

Thanks for the home remedy recipe, lot's of them work very well........now about that rotten egg.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    We have 2 Miniature Dachshunds.... the mice we had living in the back yard did not fare well.
    We too have a Long Haired Mini Dachshund. I thought he'd be a better hunter than he turned out to be.

He must be getting to many scooby snacks.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    There were 13 dead mice on the floor when I got home.
    That would freak me out. 13 dead anythings is considered a sign in my world.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hey Sixto, rent Caddy Shack, it will show you how to deal with rodents!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links