The war for my yard flares up again - Page 3

The war for my yard flares up again

This is a discussion on The war for my yard flares up again within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Or maybe now is the time to go ahead and get that suppressed 22. Justifying the tax stamp on the suppressor ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Or maybe now is the time to go ahead and get that suppressed 22.
    Justifying the tax stamp on the suppressor for an AR15-22?

Distinguished Member
    I know you said they're in the yard. If they set up house inside, spread Bounce fabric softener sheets around. Works for a few weeks then you have to replace them.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Administrator
    Nope, not inside. Besides ruining my lawn, I want them gone for fear that they will eventually move inside.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    It's illegal where I live, but I've heard that a 22 short fired from a rifle from inside the house through an open window is pretty much undetectable .
    Most 22 long rifle rounds from a long barrelled rifle can't be heard either. Strictly a research project.[/QUOTE]

Yuppers...I use CCI CBlongs out of one of my plinkers with a Gemtech OutbackII to deal with the occasional vermin. No one is the wiser...well, except for my neighbor anyway. He actually made the comment last summer about my .22 plinker being quieter than his airgun.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    It's illegal where I live, but I've heard that a 22 short fired from a rifle from inside the house through an open window is pretty much undetectable .

Most 22 long rifle rounds from a long barrelled rifle can't be heard either. Strictly a research project.

I can verify that... I was more than just a little surprised. About all we heard was the spring loaded firing pin strike on a bolt action .22

I was also pretty impressed shooting suppressed MP-5 with sub sonic 9mm rounds during my tactical medic class. Compliments of the FBI in KC who brought 3 MP-5's and case of sub sonic ammo for the course.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I'm in the same situation Sixto....my mice problem seems to come and go about every 3 to 4 months
    It got so bad that I had to wage war last summer:
    -poison blocks in the attic, behind storage shelves in the garage, and under shed in backyard
    -glue pads in the house behind or under all the furniture/appliances
    -set snap traps with peanut butter at desired locations
    -set snap traps with cheese at desired locations (different tastes in food LOL)
    -bought one of the sonic wave thingamajigs that is supposed to run 'em off

I can't say the sonic thingamajig was worth it since it came in near the end of the war I guess, I had 19 enemy combatants confirmed dead the first week, 2 the 2nd week and the problem went away.
    Now that the weather is warming up, I'm expecting the insurgents to begin striking again. We'll see how well the sonic thing repels.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

That would freak me out. 13 dead anythings is considered a sign in my world.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Most 22 long rifle rounds from a long barrelled rifle can't be heard either. Strictly a research project.

Yuppers...I use CCI CBlongs out of one of my plinkers with a Gemtech OutbackII to deal with the occasional vermin. No one is the wiser...well, except for my neighbor anyway. He actually made the comment last summer about my .22 plinker being quieter than his airgun.
    Aguila Super Colibri out of a rifle it sounds like someone dropped a pebble. It won't have enough power to take down anything bigger then a squirrel but it is just another option for pest control.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Hey Sixto, rent Caddy Shack, it will show you how to deal with rodents!
    That was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread.....
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Administrator
    I gave one of my 10/22's a little work out last week, I haven't seen another mouse since... but the weather has been bad and I've been working a lot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I know mice are sign of grubs, they feed on the grubs... but I don't think they stay in the yard, they just travel through it. Who knows. I just hate rodents.
    Moles are also another sign of grubs.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    As a kid I hid in the garge, put out cheese and peanut butter and waited with a scoped air rifle using darts. whacked many a rat that way. My Mom stopped asking me to get rid of rats after I chased one down his hole (which I had blocked all his exits) poured some gasoline down and sprayed some hairspray for good measure. the resulting "wump" and 10' of flame was very satisfying. My Mom ran out on hear the noise to see smoke raising from her garden and me smiling and saying "I got rid of that rat for you" Sadly most of her plants died a few days later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links