The war for my yard flares up again

This is a discussion on The war for my yard flares up again within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A few years ago, I posted about doing battle with field mice in my yard. I eradicated them with commercial spray (which did little) a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

A few years ago, I posted about doing battle with field mice in my yard. I eradicated them with commercial spray (which did little) a good high powered pellet gun, and a feisty Jack Russel. I haven't seen any signs of them in two or three years.

Now, I look out my 2nd story window, and I see yet another trail going from the back fence line to my patio. There is the beginnings of another trail going the width of my yard too. Looks like I have to order up some more 5mm pellets. Or maybe now is the time to go ahead and get that suppressed 22.

I know mice are sign of grubs, they feed on the grubs... but I don't think they stay in the yard, they just travel through it. Who knows. I just hate rodents.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have two Jack Russels, twice the eradication power!
    Nothing lives inside the fence
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Get a cat and don't feed it for a few days. Or call "Billy the Exterminator".
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I'm surprised that the Jack Russel isn't up to it? My dog (mutt) lives to find critters. His cruelty must be getting legendary because even snakes won't cross my fence line anymore.

It's illegal where I live, but I've heard that a 22 short fired from a rifle from inside the house through an open window is pretty much undetectable .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I have two Jack Russels, twice the eradication power!
    Nothing lives inside the fence
    My Jack died last October. He was a young dog, but in typical jrt fashion, his curiosity ended up killing him.

I'd love to get another, but the boss refuses. And since she would end up taking care of the dog, its a no go.

But, I like the break out the airgun and shoot them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Forget Billy the Exterminator, I want video of Sixto sniping rodents.

Sorry to hear about the dog. Might I ask what he got himself into?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Administrator
    He separated the sections of his crate, and ended up strangling himself in the crate.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    After the snow melted, we found a little city of rodent trails at the edge of our yard. Only because our dog doesn't go to that part of the yard in the winter. She's hyper and doesn't normally let anything in our yard. But now that the snow is melted, our cat is outside every day. He loves to hunt. Mice, rats, chipmunks, squirrels, birds and snakes. He's brought all of his "trophies" home. With these two working the land, I don't have to worry about the mice coming back.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My Jack died last October. He was a young dog, but in typical jrt fashion, his curiosity ended up killing him.

I'd love to get another, but the boss refuses. And since she would end up taking care of the dog, its a no go.

But, I like the break out the airgun and shoot them.
    I ought to call animal activists out to your property. Shame on you Mr. Sixto.

If you want to get ride of them you can try the bucket trick. It's a little more cruel then just a pellet though.

Get a 5 gallon bucket fill it up about 3/4 of the way with water. Use a plank of wood to make a ramp leading up to the rim of the bucket. Throw sunflower seeds or other food in that will at least float on the top for the day to disguise the water.

You might have to put a little food up the ramp so they get the idea they hit the jackpot. This will work on squirrels and I would imagine also mice. Just make sure the water level is high enough for them to be enticed in but not out.

I haven't had any mice problems in my yard. We have two hawks in our neighbors back yard. As long as a creature isn't destroying something of mine it's left alone.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Administrator
    Yeah, I'm not one to kill animals just for the sake of killing them either. But, I don't want mice in my yard and certainly not in my house.

The bucket trick sounds like a good idea, I might try it.

Its a little to windy to sight in my Sheridan (its been a while since I shot it). I guess I'll be setting traps.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My step-daughter had an infestation of Voles this spring. We put our Chocolate lab in the yard and she killed 3 within 10 minutes and chased one more out. She hasn't had a problem since. Do you know anyone with a dog they can lend you for an afternoon?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    My step-daughter had an infestation of Voles this spring. We put our Chocolate lab in the yard and she killed 3 within 10 minutes and chased one more out. She hasn't had a problem since. Do you know anyone with a dog they can lend you for an afternoon?
    We have two dogs already. One is a retarded bird dog. If it doesn't have feathers, it doesn't exist. The other one is a terrier, but a pup. That one is my wifes dog, and I don't think he would do anything about them unless they got into his food.

I also have a cat, and I'm sure that is why we have no problems inside.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    When I had mice problems in the garage I started baiting a bunch of traps outside. The kill count in the first week was 30, second week was less then half, and it decreased exponentially until 2 months later no mice.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Forget Billy the Exterminator
    Vexcon!!!! all the way. I am surprised that Discovery did not pick up Billy and A & E did.

Sixto, sorry you have a mouse problem. Be thankful you aren't dealing with moles.
    "Proud To Have Been Banned by Huff PO"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links