HTC Hero Opinions

This is a discussion on HTC Hero Opinions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's almost time for me upgrade my phone and I'm looking for opinions. I've currently got an HTC Mogul (PPC-6800) running Windows Mobile. I'm on ...

Thread: HTC Hero Opinions

HTC Hero Opinions

It's almost time for me upgrade my phone and I'm looking for opinions. I've currently got an HTC Mogul (PPC-6800) running Windows Mobile. I'm on the Sprint network and planning on sticking with them. I think I want a phone running Android and it looks like the best option right now is the HTC Hero. So...anyone got one? How do you like it? Features I'm looking for are:
    Internet Browsing
    Mobile Skype
    Mobile Office (Word, Excel)
    GPS Navigation.

So...any suggestions?

By the way, I know the HTC Evo will be out in a couple months, but I don't want to be an early adopter. A 4G will be cool, but I don't want to pay the new hotness premium.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

Are you locked into your plan, or are you close to having to renew? If you're willing to switch carries (I'm not a big fan of Sprint, to each their own) I'd look at the Droid or Nexus. Both are excellent phones, both have all the features you're looking for and personally I find them both to be better than the Hero.

If you're stuck with your plan (or like Sprint) check out the Touch Pro 2, after all the rebates it's not much more than the Hero and has better reviews.

Regardless of your choice though, I've been really impressed with HTC's latest offerings. I personally haven't used the Hero but it seems to be a pretty decent phone. I agree with you, wait for the Evo to be out awhile, no sense paying a premium for something that'll undoubtedly have a few kinks to work out.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    It's almost time for me upgrade my phone and I'm looking for opinions. I've currently got an HTC Mogul (PPC-6800) running Windows Mobile. I'm on the Sprint network and planning on sticking with them. I think I want a phone running Android and it looks like the best option right now is the HTC Hero. So...anyone got one? How do you like it? Features I'm looking for are:
    Internet Browsing
    Mobile Skype
    Mobile Office (Word, Excel)
    GPS Navigation.

So...any suggestions?

By the way, I know the HTC Evo will be out in a couple months, but I don't want to be an early adopter. A 4G will be cool, but I don't want to pay the new hotness premium.
    I've really got to get into this new age talk here and figure out half of what the heck you just said here LOL LMBO. I've got to get my daughter to explain all this to me.

I have a Nokia, it has buttons, I push and talk on it. I'm doing good as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by Guardian; April 18th, 2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I'll assume you know what e-mail is, as you need one to join the forum.

Internet browsing is exactly what it sounds like, you're able to use the internet just like a PC or laptop (albeit on a much smaller screen).

Mobile Skype/Skype is an application that originated on computers. It allows you to use the internet to make phone calls. It's pretty much free under certain circumstances, so it's easiest to think of it as a free telephone calls (even though this is not exactly true).

Mobile Office, think MS Office on the Phone (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.), though I believe with Android you'll be using the Open Office instead of Microsoft (though you might be able to get it on their).

GPS Navigation is exactly that, instead of having to go out and buy a GPS unit for your car you're able to use your phone to get you from Pont A to Point B.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I'm on Sprint, and am trying to wait for the Evo. When I say that I mean wait till it's out, plus a month or two for the reviews and any bug reports to roll out.

If you go the Hero route, I think I'd wait till the phone gets the Android 2.1 upgrade before I got one!! (2.1 is supposed to happen in May.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks for the information everyone.

I did some more digging today on the Hero. Apparently it is actually the same hardware as the older HTC Magic, but with a new outer shell and an upgraded interface overlayed on top of the Android OS. The review I read at Endgadget said that the interface was sluggish and they supposed that it was due to the older hardware.

LeChuck - I actually like Sprint. They've got better data service than any of the providers. I got burned by Cingular (now AT&T). As this is a family forum, I can't really explain what happened. At any rate, I'll never do business with them again. I will take a look at the Touch Pro2.

I think I might have to end up waiting for the Evo. It should benefit from all the software upgrades they did for the Hero, but with more grunt in the hardware department. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the cost is.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I've been on the Hero on Sprint for about 1 1/2 months now. I had a Motorola Q (windows mobile phone) before this and liked it. At first I was annoyed that I had to upgrade to a $70 plan to get it since I don't really text. I was on a $40 plan + $15 for internet before with the same minutes.

I use pop3 to check my email plus exchange sync to check work email/calendar. The windows mobile phone I had before was great because when I synced it with my work calendar (wireless), I could plug it in at home and it would sync my personal outlook calendar with my work calendar combining everything.

I got the Hero and it took about an hour and I was completely over windows mobile and the extra money for the plan. I LOVE the hero. There is so much it can do when you start getting apps for it.

The camera is pretty good for a cell phone, especially if you have a lot of light.

The GPS is excellent, I was using Google maps tracking our car on my trip to Detroit and using it to find places to stop and eat. I have not tried the turn by turn navigation program in the phone except to play with it in my house.

I found an excellent ballistics calculator for it that gathers your altitude and atmospheric conditions including wind speed and direction based on your GPS location and direction you are pointing the phone.

I'm addicted to Pandora internet radio. I listed to it every day at work instead of my ipod.

There is a lot more I like, SportsTap alerts me when games start or someone scores in a NJ Devils hockey game, Flixster finds movie times at theaters near me, Foodfinder tells me what restaurants are near my location. I have a golf program that keeps my score and uses GPS to tell me how far it is to the hazards and green. You'll find tons of apps that are useful to you.

There was an article today with some leaked screen shots from sprint saying that Android 2.1 would be out for the hero in early May.

Contacts are all backed up on google's servers so you'll never lose them. You can sign into facebook and associate a facebook friend with each contact so it pulls their photo and birthday into your contacts.

The only bad point about the Android OS is how it handles appointments from multiple calendars. It doesn't combine them. I synced my work calendar through it's exchange sync and then plugged it into my home computer. Since those two calendars were synced up until I got the new phone it put them ALL on the phone. Basically I had two of every appointment on the phone. Once was orange and one was green, colors showing where they came from, work or home. I deleted all the appointments that my home computer put on it and pretty much gave up on keeping my home and work calendars in sync. I just use the work calendar now and use the phone to see appointments at home.

If you have duplicate contacts from exchange and Google you can choose to hide duplicates and only show them from one source. I did not find that for calendar appointments.

Go for it, if you like gadgets and being connected you won't be disappointed.

If you do get one check out the case from otterbox.com. I bought the commuter case and it's excellent. Very well made and great fit, plus it had a hard plastic shell over the rubber so it slips into your pocket easily.

edit: I don't notice any lag in my OS. Perhaps they fixed it?

I also got Sprint I am waiting for HTC EVO 4G which supposedly is coming out this june it has wimax which makes it 10x faster than current 3G phones

I've had a HTC Hero for a few weeks and I'm pretty happy with it, but this is my first smart phone, so it's not that hard to be impressed coming from a $9.99 Virgin Mobile phone.

The phone integrates best with Google services. The GMail app notifies me when I have new messages. My Contacts and Calendar sync up with Google. The regular mail app connects to an separate IMAP account that I have.

Skype supports some Android phones, but the HTC Hero is currently not unsupported. I don't really see this as necessary since my plan already gives me plenty of talk time, and if I really needed to use Skype that much I'd be doing it from my notebook or desktop computer.

You can view (but not edit) Google Docs through the mobile version of the site via browser @ Google Mobile. There are apps that can let you view MS Office documents, but I haven't tried any of them.

Here's a video that demonstrates GPS navigation: YouTube - Sprint HTC Hero: GPS Navigation

I haven't used it yet, though I have used the GPS with Google Maps to find my current location locate nearby businesses.

The browser in general works fine, and I've been able to enjoy my favorite sites while away from the computer.

I can see myself eventually upgrading to the 4G phone, but I'm pretty happy with my jump from a dumb phone to the HTC Hero. The Android OS installed is currently version 1.5, but Sprint is supposed to be releasing a 2.1 upgrade in the near future which should be pretty sweet.

Thanks for the detailed answer Darkvibe & Realfriend.

That kinda brings me back to even. I guess I'll have to go play with one in the store and follow my gut!

If you're waiting for a 4G phone, check to see where there is 4G coverage. As of now I think it's only a few large markets. No clue how fast they plan to expand that.

I do have 4G coverage.

I've been doing a lot of research and played with a couple phones today. I think I've decided on the Samsung Moment. For several reasons:

1. I tried out the on-screen keyboard on the Hero and hated it. The Moment has a real keyboard
    2. I dug into the tech specs of the Hero and found it a bit lacking. The SenseUI is pretty, but not pretty enough. The Moment has an 800 Mhz processor.

I checked out some preview videos of the Evo. It looks like a nice phone, but most of what you get out of having a 4G phone doesn't appeal to me - the biggest thing they're pushing is video conferencing. 3G is fast enough for web browsing for me. The Evo does have a 1Ghz processor, but it doesn't have a real keyboard.

Thanks for the input everyone! Now all I have to do is wait a week for my upgrade.

I'm waiting on the EVO as well. I'll have to pay full price for it, but from researching the specs it's going to be worth it. I'll end up saving money by being able to drop my mobile wifi service and using the phone as a mobile wifi hotspot.
    I currently have the Touch Pro II and love it...but the Evo is going to be what they are calling a " superphone" vs a smartphone.
    If you don't want to wait until June...Verizon has the HTC Incredible dropping on the 29th. almost the same hardware as the Evo
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I had the moment...if they haven't solved the battery draining issue...be prepared to have a lot of chargers handy. mine wouldn't last 1/2 a day with little or no usage without being plugged in. I had it for about a week before I went with the TPII
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Links