Attention anyone using Win XP

This is a discussion on Attention anyone using Win XP within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Read this!! Apparently Microsoft is having trouble with a root kit virus. Glad I use Linux!!!! BBC News - Infected XP owners left unpatched BBC ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attention anyone using Win XP

Read this!! Apparently Microsoft is having trouble with a root kit virus. Glad I use Linux!!!!

BBC News - Infected XP owners left unpatched
    BBC NEWS
    Infected XP owners left unpatched

Some of the latest security updates for Windows XP will not be installed on machines infected with a rootkit virus.

A rootkit is sneaky malware that buries itself deep inside the Windows operating system to avoid detection.

Microsoft said it had taken the action because similar updates issued in February made machines infected with the Alureon rootkit crash endlessly.

The latest updates can spot if a system is compromised by the Alureon rootkit and halt installation.

Find and fix

The latest batch of updates for Windows was released on 16 April and some of them fix vulnerabilities in the core, or kernel, of Windows. This is the same place that rootkits try to take up residence.

When Alureon is present it monitors net traffic and plucks out user names, passwords and credit card numbers. It also gives attackers a back door into infected machines.

The virus first appeared in 2008 and has been spread via discussion forums, hacked websites and bogus pay-per-click affiliate schemes.
    FREE ANTI-ROOTKIT TOOLS
    # AVG
    # Avira
    # F-Secure - Blacklight
    # McAfee
    # Panda
    # Sophos
    # Trend Micro

Notes for the security patch explained which "abnormal conditions" would prevent XP users applying the updates.

"These abnormal conditions on a system could be the result of an infection with a computer virus that modifies some operating system files, which renders the infected computer incompatible with the kernel update," read the statement.

By not applying the patch, Microsoft hopes to avoid a repeat of events in February which left many people struggling to get their computer working again.

Microsoft also wants to avoid a situation in which people become wary of updates because they provoke a crash.

It is not yet clear how many people have been left without the updates.

Microsoft urged those who are infected to ensure their machine is cleaned of the rootkit. It recommended using its malware removal tool or using rootkit detectors from other security companies.

Many modern security packages have them built in and will find rootkits when a machine is scanned.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC News - Infected XP owners left unpatched

Published: 2010/04/16 09:30:16 GMT

© BBC MMX

Print Sponsor
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I've lost three PC due to virus. My kids keep importing music and I think that is where it came from. I've switched to a APPLE and don't seem to have the virus problems anymore.

Windows 7 for the win. Also in regards to Hiram's comment: I've been running since about September with no virus protection whatsoever and have yet to get an infection.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Read this!! Apparently Microsoft is having trouble with a root kit virus. Glad I use Linux!!!!
    ME TOO!!! hahahahahahahahaha
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

save your headaches and get a mac thats what im in process of..:)

but i will tell you the OS is diffenet and it takes a lot to get used to

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    save your headaches and get a mac thats what im in process of..:)

but i will tell you the OS is diffenet and it takes a lotto get used to
    Save yourself a lot of money and get Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint!!!!
    Questions? Ask Me! Plus, it works on older computers, most times, increasing the speed of it.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    *sigh*

Windows VS OSX

as bad as

OC VS CC,
    Coke VS Pepsi,
    Chevy VS Ford,
    Import VS Domestic (cars, beer, etc)
    Glock VS XD

I use Windows. I upgrade to the next version before it becomes old as sin. I am up to Vista on my desktop and 7 on my laptop. It is fast and easy to use and connects to all my devices. I can run my games and runs my business applications. I haven't gotten a virus because

I don't download 1000000000000000 free applications and games.
    I don't download pirated software or other such.
    I don't go to free sites to play flash games and other such BS.
    I run maintenance software regularly like virus scan, defrag (which newer windows will do automatically) etc.
    I know it's limitations and what I should and should not do.

I am content with Microsoft Windows.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    *sigh*

Windows VS OSX

as bad as

OC VS CC,
    Coke VS Pepsi,
    Chevy VS Ford,
    Import VS Domestic (cars, beer, etc)
    Glock VS XD
    Or 45 versus 9mm!!!!

Just keep your computer up to date and be responsible!

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    *sigh*

(snippage for brevity)

I am content with Microsoft Windows.
    Are you also content with BEING REQUIRED to pay endlessly for security software that doesn't work until AFTER you've been "infected" because neither the OS or the software can be secured? For having to suffer the loss of computer use time and man-hours while your security software updates every day? The weekly scan? The BS Microsoft "patches" which, in essence, make you a beta tester of their "finished product?"

Then there's the endless stream of useless bloatware and the unending Miscrosoft bundling monopoly saga...

There are better solutions out there than Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Are you also content with BEING REQUIRED to pay endlessly for security software that doesn't work until AFTER you've been "infected" because neither the OS or the software can be secured? For having to suffer the loss of computer use time and man-hours while your security software updates every day? The weekly scan? The BS Microsoft "patches" which, in essence, make you a beta tester of their "finished product?"

Then there's the endless stream of useless bloatware and the unending Miscrosoft bundling monopoly saga...

There are better solutions out there than Windows.
    too much caffine?

I don't pay for "security" software, I don't get viruses, I don't get spyware, my computer runs nice and fast for years, and I don't Have to stare at my computer while it runs scans of any kind.

Viruses happen to Windows OS because it is so popular. Its like Glock KB... you hear so many problems because so many people own them. Viruses happen because people download crap... a lot of crap.

Don't kid yourself... Microsoft is no monopoly in the computer world.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Please don't kid yourself that not D/L'ing music or playing at game sites will keep your computer virus free.

There are LOTS of horror stories where people have gotten a keylogger or other rootkit virus from shopping websites. Email is the most prolific virus contagion as well. Malware comes from EVERYWHERE including "safe" sites.

Defrag won't do anything for a virus or other malware problem.

If you are not running AV software on your windows machine you are probably infected even if you don't know it. Or won't admit it.

Please don't kid yourself that not D/L'ing music or playing at game sites will keep your computer virus free.

There are LOTS of horror stories where people have gotten a keylogger or other rootkit virus from shopping websites. Email is the most prolific virus contagion as well. Malware comes from EVERYWHERE including "safe" sites.
    You have experience i take it?

Defrag won't do anything for a virus or other malware problem.
    Thank you captain obvious

If you are not running AV software on your windows machine you are probably infected even if you don't know it. Or won't admit it.
    I run anti virus

I have tried OSX and just like Glock it isn't for me. It doesn't run anything I need it to (such as proprietary programming software or software for devices I have to repair for work), it does not run any of the games I like, and it isn't compatible with any device Apple deems inferior (such as interface with MP3 other then apple products, phone, video capture device, and some others) I would have to re buy all that stuff... no thanks

Linux based OS is much better for my needs but Linux type OS still has its pitfalls and other incompatibilities I can't live with.

I'm not going to debate any further, nor am I going to defend Microsoft. I don't need to defend Microsoft they will be around for a good long time. If windows was so problematic and not worth the trouble then we all would have mac or some form of linux.

Incorrect. I have Malwarebytes and a couple others installed. I ran a scan not a month ago, first one in about 6 months, and it found not one item. It does not run in real-time, only when I run a manual scan.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'm not sure what all this means?

I just want to know if my Mac is safe or not???
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Pretty much no one makes viruses for Macs. It does happen occasionally but it's far more common for Windows since Windows is more popular and, due to its market, more vulnerable.

MacOS is not built better, it's built for exclusivity. It's designed to only run on specific, approved hardware. Windows is designed to accept millions of different pieces of hardware, applications, drivers, etc. That is the main thing that makes Windows "less secure" than MacOS.
    My blog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links