Question about Trucks - Page 4

Question about Trucks

This is a discussion on Question about Trucks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My most recent experiences with truck-like vehicles was a 2004 Dodge Durango with the Hemi that I purchased new. During the first 6 months, It ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Question about Trucks

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My most recent experiences with truck-like vehicles was a 2004 Dodge Durango with the Hemi that I purchased new. During the first 6 months, It was to 5 different dealers in 3 states for the same problem which turned out to be a bad wiring harness. But not until a bushel basket full of parts were replaced did a small dealership in Wisconsin finally figure out the problem. I was so disgusted with it, I gave it to my son and daughter-in-law. They have not had any trouble with it since. My current truck is a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic, 3500, Crew Cab, dually, w/ LBZ diesel and Allison Tranny. I use it to carry my 11-1/2' Lance camper. So far, it has been flawless, however, if Toyota made a diesel dually, I'd buy one tomorrow.

Partial to GM trucks myself.

2000 GMC 105,000 miles and the only problem I've ever had was the electric fuel pump got weak... still got me home. Six bolts and I had the bed off, new pump on, rolling down the road two hours later! Imports just don't have the toughness or looks like an American built truck. GM, Ford or Dodge... you can't go wrong IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Apparently you have a problem not only with civil discourse, but with clearly expressing yourself in writing.
    Uh, No I said what I wanted to say. YOU were the one who added things into the mix. Your fault, your problem.

You included Mercedes with the list of other manufacturers that make pickup trucks. You did not differentiate Mercedes from the other ones in that list to indicate that you were not talking about pickup trucks when speaking of Mercedes. Not to mention the fact that the conversation was about pickup trucks.
    Umm, No, GM makes TRUCKS. Flatbeds, heavy haulers, etc. So do Ford and Dodge. ALL of them make "commercial trucks" as well as pickups.

I am well aware of the fact that Mercedes makes trucks (as I believe most people are that know anything about trucks). I am also well aware of the fact that Mercedes has made pickup trucks throughout their history. Google it.
    And this changes my post how? Again, the fact that YOU failed to understand what I posted doesn't mean that what I posted was incorrect. Nor does it lead one to trust what you are trying to say (that because I included Mercedes in a pickup truck mfg list I was somehow being dishonest) because Mercedes DOES make pickups. Thus I was including a pickup mfg in a listing of mfg's who make pickups. How does that make ME disingenuous when I included mfg's who make vehicles being discussed?

Again, you added things into what I said. On top of that you accuse me of being uncivil when it is YOU who are trying to make a big deal out of your mistake.

Not to mention the fact that you are just flat wrong about imported pickup trucks not being real trucks. Toyota and Nissan definitely make real trucks.
    In My Opinion (which is the POINT of this whole thread...gathering the OPINIONS of others on DC about trucks) they do not make real trucks. What they make are TOYS for people who think that an imported pickup is "da bom" because it has a 260 hp V6 and 'tuned' dual exhaust, faux custom wheels, imitation wood grain panels, 47 million CD player, IPOD jack, leather seats, fully tinted windows and ultra plush carpeting.

Vehicles with these things as the main selling points are not trucks. At least in MY opinion. Your beliefs are probably different but that doesn't make mine less credible or important.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    my truck............8 1/2 ton of hay.........(plus trailer)

You know this discussion is kind of like asking about a preference over 1911s, Glocks and revolvers--everybody has their own expereinces, their own preferences, etc, etc.

The best advice has been drive all of them, then try to get the best deal on what YOU like.......
    Attached Images
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Buy the one you like best....
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Toyota and Nissan definitely make real trucks.
    Then why can I never find one that can tow my trailer? When I moved 2.5 months ago, my weigh ticket said 23,xxx pounds...

Find me a Toyota or Nissan that will do that. You won't. Until they can, they will not be considered a real truck.

Heck, even your 1/2 ton trucks are not even real trucks anymore. They used to be work vehicles, you could attach a trailer and the rear end wouldn't sink. You attach a small trailer to my uncles Ram and the rear sinks to the bumpstops. He has to borrow my FIL 3500 every time he wants to tow anything, including his jetskies. Your half ton is now marketed at soccer moms and has a "soft, smooth" ride, which means the springs suck for an honest truck - they are way too soft. Now, in order to get a work vehicle, you must get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I prefer my Fords, but am not crazy about the new motors, that's why I have a 7.3L. I like the Cummins, but the body they wrap over it sucks. Chevy? Not until they put a real axle back under the front, and they just aren't for me,

Now... For vehicle with a lot of storage that doesn't have to pull my trailers... I would prefer an F150, but the spouse and I have been talking about a Toyota.

But Carry4MyFam said it best...

Ive personally owned 4 trucks going back to 90. Two Nissan Hardbodies, and 2 F150s. My first was a '92 8Ft 4.9L Manual trans, and my second is a '06 4.2L Manual trans. I have never had any issues with either of my F150s. I love my '06 to death, and recently added cruise control to it by simply adding OEM buttons to the steering wheel.

On another level, ive worked on just about all of them. From my experience, the '97 through '03 F Series trucks has some real issues, and Im glad I never got one, though I really wanted either a Lightning, an STX, or a plain shortbed stepside. Anyway, the '04s through '08s brought a lot of quality back to the line, and the '09 and '10s, while sporting a funky looking grille up front, rock just as much in my book.

As for the others. They are ok Vehicles, but You cant pay me enough to buy GM, both on looks and quality, Ive never been a fan of anything Dodg/Chrysler/Jeep, and id buy a Toyota or Nissan before I got either one of those.

The problem for prospective shoppers is, you can buy any one of them and not have a single problem for as long as you own it.

Just my 0.02 of opinion.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Uh, No I said what I wanted to say. YOU were the one who added things into the mix. Your fault, your problem.
    Nice try, but the problem was with the lack of logic and/or clarity in your post, and the fact that you won’t own up to it when it is pointed out. Not to mention being over sensitive when someone dares to question you. How about just saying, “I meant…” or "To clarify..."? Even if you didn’t see the mistakes in your logic or communication, starting out with statement like “Problem with comprehension?” does not lend itself to civil conversation.
    that because I included Mercedes in a pickup truck mfg list I was somehow being dishonest
    ….
    How does that make ME disingenuous when I included mfg's who make vehicles being discussed?
    And speaking of being over sensitive, that was a nice little jump you made. How does my questioning the logic of your post translate into me calling you dishonest?

As for the rest of your post, it is another exercise in twisting of words and rambling conversation that does not follow any sense of order or logic, so I’ll refrain from wasting time commenting on it and just end things here.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by JT; April 26th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Nice try, but the problem was with the lack of logic and/or clarity in your post, and the fact that you won’t own up to it when it is pointed out. Not to mention being over sensitive when someone dares to question you. How about just saying, “I meant…” or "To clarify..."? Even if you didn’t see the mistakes in your logic or communication, starting out with statement like “Problem with comprehension?” does not lend itself to civil conversation.

And speaking of being over sensitive, that was a nice little jump you made. How does my questioning the logic of your post translate into me calling you dishonest?

As for the rest of your post, it is another exercise in twisting of words and rambling conversation that does not follow any sense of order or logic, so I’ll refrain from wasting time commenting on it and just end things here.

Have a nice day.
    This is a nifty attempt to try to show that you are being reasonable. But, it's all smoke & mirrors. Your post where you complain that I used a "non pickup" manufacturer in the "pickup only" discussion was where YOU went astray.

You've admitted that Mercedes is a pickup mfg yet you try to chastise me about including it on my list. So, just WHERE did I state something incorrect? I listed 4 mfg's who ALL make pickups. I listed them and stated my OPINION that these mfg's make "trucks." I said nothing improper or uncivil.

My follow up to your post where I stated "comprehension?" was a query to which YOU took offense yet it was YOUR MISTAKE which created that query. You should (in the words of someone else) MAN UP about it instead of weaseling.

Your following post continues your lack of comprehension as well as a clear attempt to "twist words" as you accuse me of doing. YOU made a mistake, in public, and won't admit it. A simple "oops" or "I didn't know that" would have been perfect had a response even been necessary. Instead we've been reduced to this where I have to protect myself and you just rattle on with incomprehensible drivel about how nasty I am and then run away.

Poor baby. Go home to mommy.

JT
    This is a nifty attempt to try to show that you are being reasonable. But, it's all smoke & mirrors. Your post where you complain that I used a "non pickup" manufacturer in the "pickup only" discussion was where YOU went astray.

You've admitted that Mercedes is a pickup mfg yet you try to chastise me about including it on my list. So, just WHERE did I state something incorrect? I listed 4 mfg's who ALL make pickups. I listed them and stated my OPINION that these mfg's make "trucks." I said nothing improper or uncivil.

My follow up to your post where I stated "comprehension?" was a query to which YOU took offense yet it was YOUR MISTAKE which created that query. You should (in the words of someone else) MAN UP about it instead of weaseling.

Your following post continues your lack of comprehension as well as a clear attempt to "twist words" as you accuse me of doing. YOU made a mistake, in public, and won't admit it. A simple "oops" or "I didn't know that" would have been perfect had a response even been necessary. Instead we've been reduced to this where I have to protect myself and you just rattle on with incomprehensible drivel about how nasty I am and then run away.

You still don’t get it. My point was Mercedes has manufactured pickups. You were the one who claimed they did not fall in the category of imported pickups. You said:

1. Mercedes makes real trucks.
    2. Imported pickups trucks are not real trucks.

Followed by:
    Thus, even though Mercedes made the "truck" list, Mercedes isn't an imported PICKUP.

MAN UP about it instead of weaseling.

Real classy, Rob. Real classy.

It's funny that a guy that would post this...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...36-bumper.html

Would say “Poor baby. Go home to mommy”.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I can beat all of y'all for high miles. 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 (372,000 miles). Sold it and the next was a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 (564,000 miles). I now own 2 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 each with over 150,000 miles. All have been Cummings powered. Dont buy any diesel after 2006 due to more emissions and less mileage. High tork and horsepower, great fuel mileage, cant beat a Dodge.
    Never forget the ones we have lost in the past, but always focus on the future.

Administrator
    Two Men Enter One Man Leaves!
    Two Men Enter One Man Leaves!

JT & Rob P - You are being punished. You both must suffer through this YouTube VID from start to finish.
    That is your punishment since you are both responsible for this thread getting closed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQC3nkftrk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links