Question about Trucks

Question about Trucks

This is a discussion on Question about Trucks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So right now I am driving a Mazda Protégé (yah I know my car WANTS to be a car when it grows up LOL) and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about Trucks

Question about Trucks

So right now I am driving a Mazda Protégé (yah I know my car WANTS to be a car when it grows up LOL) and I really want a truck. Living in the South I figure I might as well assimilate.

I have narrowed it down to the quad cabs of these models:

Ford F150
    Dodge Ram
    Toyota Tundra
    Nissan Titan

Ok...so maybe narrowed down is not exactly accurate LOL!!! I would like some input on these trucks from anyone that might own one of the above models.

Thanks for reading my rambling post!!

VIP Member
    I drove Fords for years before switching to a Toyota Tundra. While it was a few years back, the reason I switched was that Ford did not want to deal on the price they wanted. I don't regret the switch at all. Never been a fan of Dodge products and the Nissan just didn't flip my switch.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I currently drive a Chevy 2500HD 4x4, if I had to replace mine with the choices you listed, hands down it would be the Toyota Tundra. Second choice would be either the Dodge or a Chevy again.

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    So right now I am driving a Mazda Protégé (yah I know my car WANTS to be a car when it grows up LOL) and I really want a truck. Living in the South I figure I might as well assimilate.

I have narrowed it down to the quad cabs of these models:

Ford F150
    Dodge Ram
    Toyota Tundra
    Nissan Titan

Ok...so maybe narrowed down is not exactly accurate LOL!!! I would like some input on these trucks from anyone that might own one of the above models.

Thanks for reading my rambling post!!
    Driven the Dodge Ram (2008) many times, very smooth truck. Handles well for a truck, acceleration is very smooth, etc.

Also driven a Nissan Titan a few times (~2006), also smooth, decent truck.

Own a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with ~120k miles. Works great, only complaint I've had is the power steering pump (had it fixed, still makes whining noise when wheels turned to limits) and the windshield washer system has a leak somewhere. It's a diesel, so it is loud (friend has a ~2009 Ford F250 diesel and it is as quiet or quieter than a gasoline truck).

My personal advice would be to go drive each of the models you are looking at (take it for 2 or 3 hours and really try everything out), find what suits you best. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

I don't have a Tundra but I do have Tacoma with 210,000 miles on it and it still run great, Toyota makes a good truck.
    Luke 22:36 and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Husband has a Tundra and I have a Tacoma. While they are older Toyotas, they have been GREAT trucks! Can't speak on the newer ones.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Dodge 2500 here.. But if I could do it again I would get a 90's era dodge diesel and take it to ATS diesel in Aurora CO and get twins and all kinda goodies and still spend less than a used 2004++ model.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    I hate to admit it, but I'd probably buy the Yota.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think I have the Tacoma beat mileage wise. Where I used to work, they had a 93 Chevy with 273K miles on it. It was a 1/2 ton and I drove it around with 2 tons of gravel in it for two weeks. The job kept getting delayed, so the gravel stayed. I pumped the tires up to 85psi, max rated pressure, and it drove just fine. 305 with a five speed. Hella truck. So, Chevy has always held a place in my heart as far as trucks go.

Yes, I am sure on the weight of the gravel, I got weighed before and after I got the truck loaded. It was a full bucket from the front loader. Dang impressive!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I vote Tundra...it's my next truck...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Toyota 4Runner isn't on the recall list!

SUV but on a truck chassis... not a car chassis.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I like my Dodge, been a good truck. Of course my Dad worked for a car hauling outfit that hauled Chrysler products and the were eligible for the employee discount. He signed my purchase, and I got about $5,000 off the top. Had to go with the Dodge.

VIP Member
    I'll go against the grain and recommend the F150
    * It's a proven model (huge understatement)
    * They didn't need a bailout (I believe in rewarding good behavior)
    * American auto makers can do one thing right - and that is trucks
    Plus, I'll admit that I've always owned Fords. They've never let me down.

JT
    I have 15 years and 170K+ on my Nissan Hardbody. I keep saying that I'm going to replace it with a new Nissan, but so far it hasn't given me enough excuses to put out the money. My only major repair was in January 2009. I had to put in a new clutch. But after 150K+ on the original clutch, I’m not complaining.

The only other repairs I’ve done on it, other than routine maintenance have been :

Alternator @100K
    Speedometer @120K
    Starter/solenoid @160K

And the starter didn't even go out. It was the solenoid, but I went ahead and replaced both since I had them out.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member
    I've been a Ford guy for a long time. My loyalty is not so strong anymore. They've always made rock solid trucks until they started redesigning diesel engines. The 6.0 is a nightmare and I own 2 of them. You're right for considering all. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links