direction of the Country ...?

This is a discussion on direction of the Country ...? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not I apologize, please feel free to move it - I looked at ...

Thread: direction of the Country ...?

direction of the Country ...?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not I apologize, please feel free to move it - I looked at all locations this looked like the most appropraite-

(posting in a number of web forums, as I would like to get peoples experiences with this)

Got to tell tell you: - the more people I talk to lately in my daily life, and I'm talking about people who you and I would normally call liberal minded the more I'm hearing this: "I'm really worried about the way things are going in this Country, worried about possible anarchy, and I want to look into buying a gun".

Again, and let me be clear, these are people that would never dream of owning any kind of weapon, handgun, rifle, whatever...

Also, they are afraid that the latest rumblings of gun bans etc, etc, are scaring them, in that they are afraid they will not be able to get a weapon if they wait any longer.

Throwing this out there to see if anyone else has experienced the same?

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    Defiantly! I have seen the change of mind in alot of folks, especially around the Tacoma/ Seattle area in the last year. There has been a surge of violence on LEO's and normal crime rate seams to rising. I know several people at work that have purchased a hand gun or shot gun and changed their habits because the recent events and the out look of the political future.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

The number of CCDW permits issued in Delaware has close to doubled in the last year, and we are a very small State.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    This is a disturbing trend. The media has been slow to pick up on it but just today, there was an article in the paper about an increasing lack of trust in our government. The worst part is, our President and congress go on about their agenda's with utter disregard for the will of the people. They're always the last to learn.

Just FYI....http://www.conservativestronghold.com/vbulletin/ might be a better place for this if it goes beyond the scope of guns/2A-related discussion...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Funny you mention that. I am currently reading "The Federalist Papers" and catching up on what public school did not teach or I did not hear. My Optometrist asked me about it. So we started talking about the revolution and the founders. And he pops out with, "Yeah, I think we are headed for another one." Caught me off guard from him. Cool conversation that went a lot of different directions after that. For me, about 6 mths ago it was not a serious thought on my radar. Not so sure now. Hopefully we can find another solution before anything crazy happens.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    Without a doubt. I have a few friends and family members who have purchased firearms for the first time for that very reason. It is wide spread and country wide. Just take a look at your local gun shop. Business is brisk, even when the economy is slow and its spring time. Both are typically business killers for the gun shops... not so this year. (or last)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Heck I think Ammo sales support this too! Still hard to find 45ACP in any decent amount unless you want to pay a lot for it.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

There does seem to be a bit of fear and uncertainty about. I have had similar conversations with people and many of them have been stocking up on ammo, buying firearms and getting ready for civil upheaval. Some just have that "deer in the headlights look" and don't know which way to turn.

I'm not quite at that point, but have my concerns about the breakdown of society and having to fend for one's self, family and a cherished few friends in times of disaster.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I have definitely noticed the same thing. I have seen many first time purchasers at the gun store.

I'll be the first to admit I am a strong conservative and would like to see a conservative country and government. However, I am also wise enough to realize there needs to be balance and a give and take. That is why our system has worked so well for so long. However, I do fear that if the November elections do not bring the country back towards the center, some folks will turn to violence. I pray that does not happen, but it does seem like many folks believe there will be troubles down the road, hence the uptick in sales and concerns noticed by Sixto and others. I never thought I would see that kind of thing in our great country.

IF things continue on the current path...civil unrest could be coming to a town near YOU. Best estimate I've heard is 3-4 yrs. Prepare yourselves and PRAY it doesn't happen.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

People sense that something is seriously wrong. I think Urbanization causes the decline of civilizations. It just has never been studied. All resources have a Carrying Capacity, a tipping point. Entitlement programs keep growing, the Rich are now the Mega Rich and the working people are being squeezed. Why? Because: ONLY WORKING PEOPLE CONTRIBUTE TO THE ECONOMY! The poor can't and the rich make it on the backs of the working man. I am not a Marxist but the mixed economy of the US is broken, people feel it even though they may not be able to put it into words. We are tired of feeding people who won't work and we are tired of making other people rich. If the Working Class bucks, it's a bad day for everybody, ugly.

Worrying about the direction of the country should have been done years ago when the country was spending and dealing in things that it couldn't afford but thought it could. To stay solvent a Nation must do the same things the individuals do that make up that nation that is don't spend and get involved in things that you can't afford. We've been doing this a long time and this didn't start recently, check your facts if you are serious.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Don't fall into the "blame the rich" mindset. We aren't rich, but due to a variety of reasons, we know a number of "rich" people. Although they don't do much manual labor at their jobs, they all work long hours every day, most work weekends, and worry constantly about their jobs, companies and employees, even when they aren't "at work".

But a better reason to respect the "rich" is those people are the ones that hire others. Have you ever been hired by someone who is poor? Never happen. How about being hired by a working Joe? Somewhat more likely, but still rare. Hired by someone with money ("rich")? Almost all of my jobs were from either some person with a good deal of money, or a company that was doing well (richer than most rich people) or the government (can take or print as much money as they want).

The working class in this country don't pay much of the taxes. 47% don't pay any income taxes at all. As I recall, 90% of income taxes are paid by the top 10%. If the "rich" go on strike, or don't pay their taxes, the country will come to a grinding halt.

But back to the OP, yeah, a lot of people I would never have expected have asked me about buying guns to defend themselves or their families.

Links