Apple ipod... a pain in my butt.....

This is a discussion on Apple ipod... a pain in my butt..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just thought I would throw it out there. At work I like to listen to music. The times I forget to charge my ipod it ...

Thread: Apple ipod... a pain in my butt.....

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

Just thought I would throw it out there.

At work I like to listen to music. The times I forget to charge my ipod it dies and I am a sad panda.... well today was another one of those days but ALAS I brought a USB cord with me... hooray... or not.

Plugging in the cord to the computer results in the computer thinking it is a hard drive... eject the hard drive and it stops charging... arg.... plug it back in and stop device... it stops charging... arg!

I debated buying a power adapter charger for the dinosaur but I would much rather put the $30-$50 toward a new ipod.

A Google search yields the exact things I have been trying... ARG! Finally out of frustration a brief flicker of the idea lamp I mask off the 2 inner pins (data pins) of the USB connector with scotch tape. Bingo charging while listening to music.

Found it to be a reversible extremely cheap solution to a problem. Although this has nothing to do with anything this board is about... it goes to show that sometimes being smart doesn't mean get out your wallet.

Just thought I would share.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Nice! Ingenuity at its best.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I would think that if you have iTunes installed everything should work fine.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

ya, if ur at a computer that doesnt have itunes and you cant download it for one reason or another (such as being at work), then its crappy.
    good thinking through with masking the data pins
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I guess I forgot to mention that installing iTunes isn't an option on the work computer.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You shouldn't have had to block the data pins for it to charge. I plug mine in at work occasionally to charge. The computer will think it's a hard drive and the little "device connected" icon will appear in the system tray. Although it doesn't actually work as a hard drive in that I can't really access what's on it with Windows Explorer, it still charges, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    You shouldn't have had to block the data pins for it to charge. I plug mine in at work occasionally to charge. The computer will think it's a hard drive and the little "device connected" icon will appear in the system tray. Although it doesn't actually work as a hard drive in that I can't really access what's on it with Windows Explorer, it still charges, though.
    It will charge but it display the "do not disconnect" with the ghost buster sign and will not play music.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Just get a USB wall socket adapter. They are cheap (a few bucks), and they can be used to charge any device that charges over USB. Since there is no data connection on the wall side, the iPod will not try to go into sync/HD mode, and you can listen and charge at the same time.

My iPod car charger is an inverter, an AC-to-USB adapter, and a retractable iPod USB cable...

Here's what I am talking about:

* Travel wall charger with dual USB charging ports - Black - USBWALL - Buy.com

Honestly, every rechargeable gadget I use now is either micro- or mini-USB, or USB on one side like the iPod. I haven't bought a dedicated "charger" for anything in years...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

BTW.. You can actually access the ipod as though it was an ordinary hard drive.. I forget how to do since it's been a few years.. But it is nice when you want to pull thousands of tunes off of a friends ipod.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I found locking the computer and connecting it charges it the computer dosnt do anything but charge and I unlock it and go back to working.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Links