For those of you leary of buying a GM

This is a discussion on For those of you leary of buying a GM within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw a new commercial this morning from GM with their CEO reporting that they have paid back every penny with interest to the US ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you leary of buying a GM

Thumbs up For those of you leary of buying a GM

I saw a new commercial this morning from GM with their CEO reporting that they have paid back every penny with interest to the US Government...a full 5 years ahead of schedule. It is no longer Government Motors. Go back and buy you a new Chevy, GMC, Cadillac or Buick with confidence.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Don't know if that helps or hurts.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I never had any beef with GM's quality or debt. I'm glad they paid their debt back early. That's how we all should be. We all should pay off our debts as fast as we can, IMO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

They still took the money, tax money, to compensate for their bad business practices and failure...

Have they paid back the shareholders who were robbed? What about the dealerships that were destroyed and the employees that were thrown out of work?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I had money in a mutual fund that invested in secured bonds (loans to corps) that were "guaranteed" to be first in line if a corp went bankrupt. This was IRA money, invested in "secure" bonds for my future.

Obumber just threw all federal law to the wayside, said "screw you" to me and every other invester and gave the company to his union supporters......

I WILL NEVER OWN A GM VEHICLE AS LONG AS I LIVE!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The US government stills owns over $50billion in GM stock as a result of the bankruptcy.

I have been in the aftermarket auto industry from right out of highschool to date . ( 30 years +) half that time in management.

I have owned GM and Fords in past. In oppinion if a customer asks
    me what I think on a new car it has and will allways be a Honda.
    They will go 350 k or more with zero big overhauls
    Sorry very few and far between big three cars will go that miles
    with out a big overoverhaul Ex new trans or engine

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    They still took the money, tax money, to compensate for their bad business practices and failure...
    Agree - they'd be a stronger company if they went thru the standard bankruptcy channels and the associated cuts and restructuring etc.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    The US government stills owns over $50billion in GM stock as a result of the bankruptcy.
    CORRECT, despite what the headlines state, it is still government motors. shame on you for reading a headline like that and not looking into it your self. how many times do we all need to be reminded to look beyond the curtain to see what is the truth?
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

With the amount of GM I see on the side of the road, broken down. No Thanks.

On further thought while at chow......

My next car will probably be one of the JAPANESE makes just so there is NO UAW labor involved as well!!

All valid points...but we owe it to support these companies to bring our economy back. You can change government this Fall.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    All valid points...but we owe it to support these companies to bring our economy back. You can change government this Fall.
    No, we don't. I am not supporting a company that doesn't care about it's customers, employees, or shareholders and that had to hold it's hand out when it was failing... free market. You screw up? Fail. I wonder how many small business owners got help when they were failing.... wait, they weren't "too big to fail"

I hope GM and chrysler go away.

We as a Country need to think about "our" Country for a change. The businesses need to employ Americans. The Government needs to uphold the will of the people they govern. Otherwise, we're going to be a Third World country before the next generation retires.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links