New Propane Tanks installed, Generator tested.

This is a discussion on New Propane Tanks installed, Generator tested. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After missing the first two "install dates," the propane company finally showed up and replaced my old 125 gallon, horizontal tank, with a pair of ...

After missing the first two "install dates," the propane company finally showed up and replaced my old 125 gallon, horizontal tank, with a pair of 125 gallon, vertical tanks. Doubled my storage capacity.

While they were here, they also ran a line off the low-pressure port of the regulator to my Tri-Fuel generator. They were surprised to see it came with it's own regulator and didn't require any changes to switch from gasoline to propane.

Before they got here, I shut off the valve on the gas tank (now empty,) and ran all the gasoline out of the carburetor. After they made the hook-up, all I did was to push the primer pin on the regulator for a couple of seconds, and hit the start switch.

The genny started right up and ran like a top!

Although I intend to run it on the propane, it's nice to be able to use gasoline if need be, or even CNG, if I ever see any. All just by switching from one fuel line, to another.

As I build the housing for the genny, I'll post a couple of pics.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Very nice did you post a link to the make of gennie before?

I did, but it was a while back. Can't get a direct link to work, but go to their web site, http://www.generatorsales.com and in the upper right corner is a search window that says, "Choose model number." Search for model # 04364

That be the one.

mm

Looks like you made a good choice. Hope you don't have to use it.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Not a bad looking Gennie i would dig one of these though ..

I need to get my 10k running again

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/2000TS_demo.asp

Hopefully, mine will only get run during it's weekly "test runs."

Now that big "open box special" would be great! No price listed? I'm betting new or used, it would have been waaaaay outside my budget!

mm

Interesting, we need a gennie for our new house and wanted to go propane (as we have a 1000 gal in ground tank (overkill maybe)), good to know you can keep the gennie as multi-fuel.

Mark,

A while back, I wanted to get rid of my electric stove and go with a gas model. I much prefer gas for cooking. The propane supplier had a showroom and I got talked into a deal, getting a gas stove & oven, hot water heater, and a gas clothes dryer. Of course, they had a washing machine that "matched" the dryer, so I got that, too.

Which explains how I can to have a propane tank in the first place.

The reasons for my wanting a propane-powered generator was because I had concerns about keeping a good-sized supply of gasoline on-hand. Got to keep it stabilized, and suspected some problems with local laws and regs on gasoline storage.

For me, propane just made sense. And the tri-fuel thing made that particular generator that much more attractive.

mm

But what is your run time on the propane vs gasoline? Gas can be a pain to store but it has other uses as well, Since you were lucky enough to buy a tri fuel I would run gas as the primary with propane as a plan B. When I bought mine I looked at the tri fuel and lusted over the diesel units where some real power can be had, but price kept me with gasoline. The really great thing is next time when every thing goes dark, you will still be operating in normal mode.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Actually, this one is slightly more fuel efficient on propane, than with gasoline.

Right now, I have a 250 gallon supply on-hand. The tank gets topped of on a regular basis, it usually on takes 40 gallons to bring it back up to full. That 40 gallons is used to heat the water, to cook, and run the clothes dryer.

For me to put in an equal amount of gasoline would be a royal pain in the backside. And then I'd have to add a stabilizer, and perhaps swap it out with fresh gas, using the "old" gas in the cars. At least, that's what I've been told some do. And that's more than I care to do.

Since I already had a need for propane, it was no trouble to increase the storage, no permits required. And I don't have to maintain the tanks, either. Top-offs are already being done on a regular schedule, so their was no change there.

I've no idea what kind of hoops I'd have to jump through to install a 250 gallon gasoline storage tank in my neighborhood. But I do know that the propane tanks went it with no fuss at all.

Where I am, in my situation, propane just made sense. Perhaps in other locations, other fuels would be better.

However, unlike many in my area, I am not still procrastinating, or studying the problem to death.

I am ready.

mm

Links