immigration bill - Page 16

immigration bill

This is a discussion on immigration bill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Only a matter of time..."Papers Please" is now on the tab in MD as well... How long until your states or mine? Lawmaker Proposes Immigration ...

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: immigration bill

Only a matter of time..."Papers Please" is now on the tab in MD as well... How long until your states or mine?

Lawmaker Proposes Immigration Bill Similar To AZ - Politics News Story - WBAL Baltimore
    Snippet:
    BALTIMORE --
    A local delegate is pledging to push an immigration law through the Maryland General Assembly that is similar to one passed in Arizona.
    Folks just don't get it. There may be more than one way to skin a cat, but only one RIGHT and MORAL way. We could have all property owners line up and shoot every single person that crosses the border but it wouldn't necessarily be moral. The ONLY way to fix this immigration issue is to KILL ALL THE SOCIAL PROGRAM BS! Remove the honeypots.

There's no reason to cross illegally if there's no free ride on the other side.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

National ID Card Included In Democratic Immigration Bill - Yahoo! News

National ID Card Included In Democratic Immigration Bill
    Ryan Grim
    Thu Apr 29, 8:05 pm ET

Democrats pushed forward on an immigration overhaul on Thursday evening with no Republican support, as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) continues to hold out, arguing that the divisive issue will make progress on climate change legislation impossible.

The Senate is also in the middle of debating Wall Street reform, which is expected to take up the next few weeks of floor time. Reid, however, said that the chamber would be able to handle the task. "We can do more than one thing at once," he said.

The Democratic proposal includes increased money for border patrol and drug war agents, equipment, helicopters and unmanned drones. It would create a national ID -- which is dubbed a "biometric social security card." Though Democrats insist that it is not an ID card and can only be used for employment purposes.

The proposal would also include a crackdown on employers who hire undocumented workers. It works to deport some immigrants who are not in the country legally and creates a limited pathway to citizenship for others.

Democrats brought out their heavy hitters for the announcement: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.); Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.); Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who's been leading the push for immigration reform; Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.); Judiciary Committee Chairman Pat Leahy (D-Vt.) and Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.).

The crackdown on employers relies on the creation of national identity cards. "These cards will be fraud-resistant, tamper-resistant, wear resistant, and machine-readable social security cards containing a photograph and an electronically coded micro-processing chip which possesses a unique biometric identifier for the authorized card-bearer," reads the bill summary.

Broadly, the proposal includes:

1. More Border Patrol officers
    2. More Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents, worksite inspectors, document fraud investigators and drug-war agents
    3. The "installation of high-tech ground sensors throughout the southern border and for equipping all border patrol officers with the technological capability to respond to activation of the ground sensors in the area they are patrolling."
    4. More prosecution of drug smuggling, human trafficking and unauthorized border crossing
    5. "[I]ncreases in the number of sport utility vehicles, helicopters, power boats, river boats, portable computers to track illegal immigrants and drug smugglers while inside of a border patrol vehicle, night vision equipment, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), Remote Video Surveillance Systems (RVSS), scope trucks, and Mobile Surveillance Systems (MSS)."
    6. All prisoners will be checked for immigration status and deported if found to lack documentation.
    7. DHS will "identify, investigate, and initiate removal proceedings" against folks who came here legally but didn't leave.
    8. The bill would create "a broad-based registration program that requires all illegal immigrants living in the U.S. to come forward to register, be screened, and, if eligible, complete other requirements to earn legal status, including paying taxes."
    The full summary can be read here.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Wow, a Southern California police chief won't be guided by another state's law. That's real news!

Sort of like saying Arizona won't be guided by Mexico's immigration laws.

VIP Member

Misleading title Unk! It isn't a national ID.

Unk, please go back and carefully read what the proposal is.

It is not the issuance of a national ID card. It is the issuance of tamper resistant social security cards with provisions in the law that they be used only to verify an individuals right to work.

The cards are to have encoded information which will be accessible to employers either at designated workplaces, or at Post Offices or Private Card Reading companies which will be required to post a large bond to operate. I suppose if you are in the workforce it would work something like a national ID, but the proposed law specifically prohibits the use of the card for any other purpose but verification for employment.

The idea is to satisfy the justifiable complaints of employers that they can't be sure they are properly screening employees in today's world where fraudulent documents are readily available. (Just yesterday there was a headline about a ring that was selling false citizenship papers for about 100 K each).

Now, personally I have this nagging sense that no matter what the law says, the newly minted social security cards will be used as ID, just as presently social security cards and numbers are used for all manner of things the were never intended to be used for, and just as the DL is used for things it was never intended to be used for.

At least this new proposal is a step in the right direction toward putting the responsibility for hiring unlawful immigrants onto the employers who have been abusing our system for a few decades. If we stop that stuff, the hiring of illegals, the rest of the problem will mostly just disappear.

And hopefully both sides of the political world will actually try to make reasonable and responsible law instead of play the Grand Stand. Sure. :-

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Only a matter of time..."Papers Please" is now on the tab in MD as well... How long until your states or mine?
    Which if you think about it is really ironic. Maryland was one of the states where illegals could easily get a drivers permit.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

OKLAHOMA CITY --Oklahoma residents are speaking out about one state lawmaker's suggestion about strengthening the state's law against illegal immigration.

Republican Rep. Mike Christian said he wants to deport people who are in Oklahoma illegally, including children who are born in the United States to undocumented parents.

He said he modeled it after the controversial law recently passed in Arizona, but took it a step further. The Arizona laws gives police the right to question anyone who they suspect may be an illegal immigrant and allows citizens to sue officers who don't.

Christian's plans have sparked a strong reaction on both sides. Some lawmakers have said the law is perfect for Oklahoma. Others said it's the most un-American proposal they've ever heard.

"We are witnessing now the legalization of racism," said Juan Miret of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. "You know we've heard of driving while black. We've heard of flying while Muslim. Certainly, this amounts to breathing while brown," said Chuck Thornton of the American Civil Liberties Union.

"This is not just a racial profiling of immigrants," said Anthony Douglas of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "This is racial profiling of American citizens."

At a naturalization ceremony for 97 new American citizens on Thursday, some people said they don't find Arizona's law unreasonable. "I've lived here in the United States since I was 18 or 19," said Mary Wittman. She said she emigrated from Newfoundland and has carried her green card with her for more than 50 years.

She said people who arrive in the U.S. from other countries should do the same thing. "They should get the green cards or get the citizenship, " Wittman said. She said it may be a lengthy process, but the effort is worth it.

The ACLU said that if Oklahoma lawmakers propose an immigration bill modeled after Arizona's, the group will do everything in its power to fight it. Supporters of the idea said they hope they're able to propose the new immigration bill this session.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member
    Now if it wasn't for all the ILLEGAL immigrants, we would not have to pass all these "unconstitutional" law now would we.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Moderator

Geronimo expresses my opinion
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Unk, please go back and carefully read what the proposal is.

It is not the issuance of a national ID card. It is the issuance of tamper resistant social security cards with provisions in the law that they be used only to verify an individuals right to work.

The cards are to have encoded information which will be accessible to employers either at designated workplaces, or at Post Offices or Private Card Reading companies which will be required to post a large bond to operate. I suppose if you are in the workforce it would work something like a national ID, but the proposed law specifically prohibits the use of the card for any other purpose but verification for employment.

The idea is to satisfy the justifiable complaints of employers that they can't be sure they are properly screening employees in today's world where fraudulent documents are readily available. (Just yesterday there was a headline about a ring that was selling false citizenship papers for about 100 K each).

Now, personally I have this nagging sense that no matter what the law says, the newly minted social security cards will be used as ID, just as presently social security cards and numbers are used for all manner of things the were never intended to be used for, and just as the DL is used for things it was never intended to be used for.

At least this new proposal is a step in the right direction toward putting the responsibility for hiring unlawful immigrants onto the employers who have been abusing our system for a few decades. If we stop that stuff, the hiring of illegals, the rest of the problem will mostly just disappear.

And hopefully both sides of the political world will actually try to make reasonable and responsible law instead of play the Grand Stand. Sure. :-
    Thank you. As a business owner I welcome the oppurtunity to branch out into law enforcement.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Thank you. As a business owner I welcome the oppurtunity to branch out into law enforcement.
    I don't understand how this is any different than the current requirements. As a business owner, you are already required to check an employee's eligibility to work in the US upon hiring. I just verified that the I-9 form is still required to be completed. A single form of ID should make it easier on you than the minimum of 2 you currently require for legal US citizens.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I don't understand how this is any different than the current requirements. As a business owner, you are already required to check an employee's eligibility to work in the US upon hiring. I just verified that the I-9 form is still required to be completed. A single form of ID should make it easier on you than the minimum of 2 you currently require for legal US citizens.
    I suppose what I meant to imply was, if the government(state and federal) did their jobs it wouldn't be my responsibility to do it for them.

VIP Member

re:21bubba Proposal would help you

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I suppose what I meant to imply was, if the government(state and federal) did their jobs it wouldn't be my responsibility to do it for them.
    True enough. And it shouldn't be this way at all. But unfortunately that requirement for the I-9 has been the law for quite some time.

The proposal to issue a new type of social security card which can be scanned --possibly at a post office-- means that in the future an employer who actually scans a card will be free from liability if it turns out later that the card was fake.

That is a huge improvement for you as a business owner. Instead of you having to look at documents and hope that they are legitimate, Uncle will be authenticating the new social security card for you.

For those who don't know, not all social security cards are the same even now. Some are issued to people who need them for tax purposes only, but who are not allowed to work here or be here except temporarily.

There are no easy answers to the problem we have now, but we can't make some citizens and lawful immigrants into victims of
    a pretend solution as AZ has done.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010
    TODAY & EVERY DAY 12 Americans will be murdered by ILLEGALS invited over our
    borders to take our jobs!

Leaving our borders undefended

WHAT COSTS MORE THAN BUSH’S IRAQ WAR?

12 AMERICAS MURDERED EVERY DAY BY ILLEGALS

CALIFORNIA PAYS OUT $18 BILLION IN SOCIAL SERVICE TO ILLEGALS. ABSOLUTELY NO
    TALK OF ENDING THE MEXICAN OCCUPATION. TALK IS ONLY OF LOWERING TAXES ON
    BUSINESS THAT BENEFIT FROM HIRING “CHEAP” LABOR ILLEGALS, AND CUTTING PROGRAM
    THAT BENEFIT THE MIDDLE CLASS.

IN LOS ANGELES, 47% OF THOSE EMPLOYED ARE ILLEGALS. THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES,
    CHARACTERIZED BY THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR AS THE “MEXICAN GANG CAPITAL OF
    AMERICA”, ALSO PUTS OUT MONTHLY, YES, MONTHLY, $40 MILLION IN WELFARE TO
    ILLEGALS. THEN SPENDS A BILLION A YEAR PROSECUTING MEXICAN GANG RELATED
    MURDERERS, AND MILLIONS IN MEXICAN GRAFFITI ABATEMENT.

What Costs More Than The Iraq War? Why are we really in the Red all the time?
    And COLA gave 'legal seniors,' a 3.2% cost of living increase this year, while
    illegals cash in. No wonder everyone wants to come here...........

WHAT COSTS MORE PER YEAR THAN THE IRAQ WAR?

Illegal Aliens Cause Massive Cuts For US Seniors

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year.

2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food
    stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education
    for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English!

5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born
    children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.

8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare and Social
    Services by the American taxpayers.

9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the
    illegal aliens.

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's
    two-and-a-half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their
    children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US

11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that
    crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from
    Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroin and
    marijuana, crossed into the U. S from the Southern border.

12. The National Policy Institute, estimated that the total cost of mass
    deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between
    $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period.

13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their
    countries of origin.

14. 'The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One Million Sex Crimes
    Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States Total cost is a whoopin'...
    $338.3
    …………..

TWELVE AMERICANS MURDERED EACH DAY BY ILLEGALS
    By Joseph Farah © 2006 WorldNetDaily.com WASHINGTON –

While the military "quagmire" in Iraq was said to tip the scales of power in the
    U.S. midterm elections, most Americans have no idea more of their fellow
    citizens – men, women and children – were murdered this year by illegal aliens
    than the combined death toll of U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan since those
    military campaigns began. Though no federal statistics are kept on murders or
    any other crimes committed by illegal aliens, a number of groups have produced
    estimates based on data collected from prisons, news reports and independent
    research. Twelve Americans are murdered every day by illegal aliens, according
    to statistics released by Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa. If those numbers are correct,
    it translates to 4,380 Americans murdered annually by illegal aliens. That's
    21,900 since Sept. 11, 2001.

Total U.S. troop deaths in Iraq as of last week were reported at 2,863. Total
    U.S. troop deaths in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan during the five years
    of the Afghan campaign are currently at 289, according to the Department of
    Defense. But the carnage wrought by illegal alien murderers represents only a
    fraction of the pool of blood spilled by American citizens as a result of an
    open border and un-enforced immigration laws. While King reports 12 Americans
    are murdered daily by illegal aliens, he says 13 are killed by drunk illegal
    alien drivers – for another annual death toll of 4,745. That's 23,725 since
    Sept. 11, 2001. While no one – in or out of government – tracks all U.S.
    accidents caused by illegal aliens, the statistical and anecdotal evidence
    suggests many of last year's 42,636 road deaths involved illegal aliens.

A report by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Study found 20 percent of fatal
    accidents involve at least one driver who lacks a valid license. In California,
    another study showed that those who have never held a valid license are about
    five times more likely to be involved in a fatal road accident than licensed
    drivers. Statistically, that makes them an even greater danger on the road than
    drivers whose licenses have been suspended or revoked – and nearly as dangerous
    as drunk drivers. King also reports eight American children are victims of
    sexual abuse by illegal aliens every day – a total of 2,920 annually. Based on a
    one-year in-depth study, Deborah Schurman-Kauflin of the Violent Crimes
    Institute of Atlanta estimates there are about 240,000 illegal immigrant sex
    offenders in the United States who have had an average of four victims each. She
    analyzed 1,500 cases from January 1999 through April 2006 that included serial
    rapes, serial murders, sexual homicides and child molestation committed by
    illegal immigrants. As the number of illegal aliens in the U.S. increases, so
    does the number of American victims. According to Edwin

Rubenstien, president of ESR Research Economic Consultants, in Indianapolis in
    1980, federal and state correctional facilities held fewer than 9,000 criminal
    aliens. But at the end of 2003, approximately 267,000 illegal aliens were
    incarcerated in all U.S. jails and prisons. While the federal government doesn't
    track illegal alien murders, illegal alien rapes or illegal alien drunk driving
    deaths, it has studied illegal aliens incarcerated in U.S. prisons. In April
    2005, the Government Accountability Office released a report on a study of
    55,322 illegal aliens incarcerated in federal, state, and local facilities
    during 2003. It found the following: The 55,322 illegal aliens studied
    represented a total of 459,614 arrests – some eight arrests per illegal alien;
    Their arrests represented a total of about 700,000 criminal offenses – some 13
    offenses per illegal alien; 36 percent had been arrested at least five times
    before.

"While the vast majority of illegal aliens are decent people who work hard and
    are only trying to make a better life for themselves and their families,
    (something you or I would probably do if we were in their place), it is also a
    fact that a disproportionately high percentage of illegal aliens are criminals
    and sexual predators," states Peter Wagner, author of a new report called "The
    Dark Side of Illegal Immigration." "That is part of the dark side of illegal
    immigration and when we allow the 'good' in we get the 'bad' along with them.
    The question is, how much 'bad' is acceptable and at what price?"

ZOGBY POLL.... MEXICANS BELIEVE THE AMERICAN SOUTHWEST IS ALREADY THEIRS! and
    here’s a news flash. It is! Our corporate government handed it to them when they
    handed our jobs to
    According to the HERITAGE FOUNDATION.or, the Mexican invasion will cost us 3.7
    trillion ABOVE what the illegals put into the economy.

The Violent Crimes Institute in Atlanta is a real place. They did a real study.
    These are the real results. 'Based on a one-year in-depth study, Deborah
    Schurman-Kauflin of the Violent Crimes Institute of Atlanta estimates there are
    about 240,000 illegal immigrant sex offenders in the United States who have had
    an average of four victims each. She analyzed 1,500 cases from January 1999
    through April 2006 that included serial rapes, serial murders, sexual homicides
    and child molestation committed by illegal immigrants.'

FBI DIRECTOR:

"The violent MS-13 - or Mara Salvatrucha - street gang is following the
    migratory routes of illegal aliens across the country, FBI officials say,
    calling the Salvadoran gang the new American mafia. MS-13, has a significant
    presence in the Washington area, and other gangs are spreading into small towns
    and suburbs by following illegal aliens seeking work in places such as
    Providence, R.I., and the Carolinas, FBI task force director Robert Clifford
    said. "The migrant moves and the gang follows," said Mr. Clifford, director of
    the agency's MS-13 National Gang Task Force."

INS/FBI Statistical Report on Undocumented Immigrants 2006 (First Quarter)
    INS/FBI Statistical Report on Undocumented Immigrants CRIME STATISTICS

95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens.

86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens.

75% of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix and Albuquerque are
    illegal aliens.

24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here
    illegally

40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals here
    illegally

48.2% of all inmates in New Mexico detention centers are Mexican nationals here
    illegally

29% (630,000) convicted illegal alien felons fill our state and federal prisons
    at a cost of $1.6 billion annually

53% plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico,
    Nevada, Arizona and Texas are perpetrated by illegal aliens.

50% plus of all gang members in Los Angeles are illegal aliens from south of the
    border.

71% plus of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona,
    Nevada and California were stolen by Illegal aliens or “transport coyotes".

47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no
    registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are illegal aliens.

63% of cited/stopped drivers in Arizona have no license, no insurance and no
    registration for the vehicle. Of that 63%, 97% are illegal aliens

66% of cited/stopped drivers in New Mexico have no license, no insurance and no
    registration for the vehicle. Of that 66% 98% are illegal aliens.

BIRTH STATISTICS 380,000 plus “anchor babies” were born in the U.S. in 2005 to
    illegal alien parents, making 380,000 babies automatically U.S.citizens. 97.2%
    of all costs incurred from those births were paid by the American taxpayers. 66%
    plus of all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose
    births were paid for by taxpayers

FIGHTING FOR AMNESTY, OPEN BORDERS, NO WALL, NO E-VERIFY, NO ICE ENFORCEMENT, NO
    ENFORCEMENT OF LAWS AGAINST HIRING ILLEGALS, AND NO END TO ILLEGALS ON WELFARE
    ARE:
    DIANNE FEINSTEIN
    BARBARA BOXER
    HENRY WAXMAN
    ZOE LOFGREN
    ANNA ESHOO
    JANE HARMAN
    JOE BACA
    SAM FARR
    ANTONTIO “TACO RUNT” VILLARAIGOSA
    HILLARY CLINTON
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

AzB
    "We are witnessing now the legalization of racism," said Juan Miret of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

Is it just me, or is it incredibly ironic that the head of the Hispanic chamber of commerce is screaming racism.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Links