immigration bill - Page 2

immigration bill

This is a discussion on immigration bill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife is now a U.S. citizen and has been for about 10 years. She is from Western Europe. We paid the fees, we spent ...

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: immigration bill

My wife is now a U.S. citizen and has been for about 10 years. She is from Western Europe. We paid the fees, we spent the time in an immigration office. I didn't like someone looking at our financials and wanting to see the wedding ring and the wedding pics, what an invaision of privacy. But you have to pay to play. I've been to Brazos County a lot since being married to my wife. She has realatives in Angleton. I know you've seen the signs "Do not pick up hitch hikers, they may be inmates", See someone walking the roads out there and the police are going to ask for ID. Imagine if we didn't have ID, you would be detained regularly. I see nothing wrong with law enforcement asking for ID, for any reason. For your protection and law enforcement. You should carry ID at all times.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Distinguished Member
    Give that Gov a PBR!!!!! Waaaaay past due.

Lets see, I have to produce my "papers" while I drive

For my CDL, I had to produce my papers, and get a fingerprint done.

For my CCP, I had to produce a birth certificate, drivers license, and another fingerprint set.

I opened a small CD at a bank, 3 of the 4 people there know me by name as I walk in, but guess what, I had to produce my papers again.

I want to go hunting or fishing, the Conservation Officer can make me produce my papers even if I was not breaking any laws.

I want to purchase a new pistol, guess what, I first have to go to my local Sheriff's office and produce my papers, then wait 5 days for more papers to produce when I want to purchase a hand gun.

Now I want to buy a hand gun, again I produce my new papers, and fill out more paper work.

To legally drive a truck, I now must have a "medical certificate" , yes more papers to produce, and I have to produce papers to receive the medical certificate.

The more I think about it, the madder I get, so any of you that have your "feelings" hurt, because you might have to produce papers if you get caught doing something wrong-----to bad.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Over 70% here love the bill.Glad we got it and a long time coming.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

HOPYARD, if I was in that situation, I would carry a certified birth certificate with me. If I travel to another state I check the CC laws. When I go through Arizona in the near future I will carry certified birth certicates and my wife's immigration papers with us. Not a big deal. If you immigrated here or were born here and you have a different skin color, be safe, carry papers. By the way white people are immigrants to the U.S. The fact is we all need to carry ID for several different reasons.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That isn't really the issue being discussed. Let's examine the example given by AZChevy.

I'll quote what he wrote, then continue: "My fiance is 100% MEXICAN descent 2d generation...her legal immigrant family who do not have citizenship but green cards,"

OK, now try to follow this scenario. The family members with green cards and the young lady who is a native born American citizen of Mexican heritage are all riding in a car. For some reason they have an encounter with the police and the officer, noting the Mexican appearance and perhaps the accent, inquire about status.

No problem at all for the folks with the green card. They are required to carry the card, they have it, and they present it. The officer then turns to the the 100% Mexican heritage US citizen young lady. "Papers please, let me see your green card."

"Sir, I don't have a green card. Here's my DL."

Officer: "This doesn't show status. Do you have a birth certificate? Passport? Something to show your status."

Young American lady: "No sir, I'm an American, can't you tell I have no accent, I was raised here."

Officer: "Lots of kids were brought here illegally when they were two and grow up with no accent. What can you show me to prove your status."

Young Lady, dumbfounded: "Uh, I have nothing on me but my DL."

Officer: Well, you are going to have to come with me because I think I have a reasonable suspicion that you are here illegally. You look Mexican, you are with other immigrants, and you don't have papers.

See, this AZ law isn't just a burden on the illegal immigrant. It is a burden on the American Citizen who doesn't look Caucasian. And that is the long and the short of it.

The controversy isn't about giving illegals rights, it is about preserving the rights of American Citizenship, and of Americans to go about their business unmolested and without the need to carry papers---if their skin hew is wrong.

See?
    You know I don't have any problem "trying to follow". What I have a problem with is someone who makes up scenarios to fit their agenda then tries to make it seem like a fact.

If you would look at your last two paragraphs with a rational mindset you would see how absolutely ridiculous your position sounds.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I don't think this is as big of a deal as the media is trying to make it. At least someone is trying to address the problem...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Yup, and what is the first thing they usually do afterward?

Sorry, you won't see us in AZ again. Not worth the potential trouble.
    Guess, I well realy miss you.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

It's all good until YOU are the one who's being racially profiled because of the color of your skin! I am a US Citizen, I proudly served MY country and I DO NOT WANT TO BE STOPPED like a "criminal" and questioned about my citizenship because of my appearance! You people who say this is not racist...how are police supposed to distinguish between a legal Mexican and an Illegal Mexican? I am ashamed of Arizona and the extremely poor judgment is has shown!

A lot of people are pointing out what is wrong with this. I am NOT trying to be a jerk, I am just curious. What is a good solution to this, in your opinion?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    The more I think about it, the madder I get, so any of you that have your "feelings" hurt, because you might have to produce papers if you get caught doing something wrong-----to bad.
    Z
    So who are the illegals? Are they all wearing signs that will make it easy to round them all up? I doubt it. This means that they now will be stopping tons of people for no reason other than to check their ID. They now have the right to stop almost everyone and anyone they want and request their papers. In reality, they probably could check anyone's ID on a whim now if they want to start checking for illegal Europeans, Asians, and Africans too. This isn't about stopping people who did something wrong. This is about stopping everyone to look for the few (and it is a relative few in comparison to the legal population) who did something wrong.

What amuses me is that I have read numerous posts in other threads how this country will become a "Papers Please!" society, and how much they oppose that. There was an epic thread a couple of years ago that went several pages deep on this subject and most of the responses were against having to show your papers for no reason. Because of previous posts on the subject, I am surprised to see so many people support this new law.

I guess if you're willing to give up some of your freedoms to get those dang illegals out, it's all good.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

What isn't making the headlines is that a lot - possibly a majority - of Mexicans and South Americans who are in Arizona LEGALLY support the new law. Two elections ago, the "employer sanctions" law - also seen by the bleeding hearts as "anti-immigrant" - was voted in with a plurality that would not have been possible without a majority of the Hispanic community voting for it.

Sadly, the "Fourth Estate" - the news media - has chosen sides in this debate, so what is presented as news is hardly free from bias.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    A lot of people are pointing out what is wrong with this. I am NOT trying to be a jerk, I am just curious. What is a good solution to this, in your opinion?
    Punish the businesses and support systems that have been allowing them to work illegally and earn money. Huge fines and maybe jail time for employing illegals. When illegals apply for social services, provide whatever care they need as they are being transported back to their home country. If they cannot work, and cannot live for free they will not stay very long. But then again, it couldn't be that easy, could it?

edit: That last sentence wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I'm just a bit tired and it seems like a decent yet easy solution in my present condition.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Punish the businesses and support systems that have been allowing them to work illegally and earn money. Huge fines and maybe jail time for employing illegals. When illegals apply for social services, provide whatever care they need as they are being transported back to their home country. If they cannot work, and cannot live for free they will not stay very long. But then again, it couldn't be that easy, could it?

edit: That last sentence wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I'm just a bit tired and it seems like a decent yet easy solution in my present condition.
    Yeah, that is a simple solution! Often times, the simplest solution is the correct one.

Of course the talking heads are going to be whining about "the system being broken." I am so sick of that phrase I could puke. I really don't give an equine posterior about their view of what is broken or not, 'cuz their "solution" mucks it up so much more!
    I'll stop now, what I am thinking should be over at Conservative Stronghold!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

This is precisely how you make refugees out of citizens. Keep on making fun. In point of fact should TX go this route we would leave. Likely to Iowa or MN. And if this craziness continued to spread we would unfortunately become refugees of one sort or another.

You see the whole AZ plan is mindless.

Folks come here and want it both ways. They want to claim they are conservatives and that US citizens have rights; but then they make fun of other citizens and take steps to limit their rights.

They think other citizens should have to carry papers but they should be exempt because their skin is the right hew. How many illegal Irish do you think your AZ police will be stopping? Or illegal English? Or illegal Russians? Likely, they'll be stopping some native Americans. Guaranteed. It is also guaranteed they will arrest at least some native born Hispanics. How many millions of your state coffers (tax dollars) do you think these victims will have when they win the lottery in court?

The AZ law is so broad (if I am understanding it) that anyone who isn't very clearly a caucasian native born American might be asked for papers. Papers being more than a DL, proof of status, which most DLs are not.

Thankfully so far the only time I have needed my passport or my wife hers is when we travel into the US from abroad. I have no intention of putting myself in that position--carrying around a passport --to go stay in your wonderful AZ Biltmore.

So guys, you lose. You lose revenue I won't be spending in your airport. You lose rental car revenue I won't be spending. You lose hotel revenue and occupancy taxes. You lose restaurant business and you lose sports event attendance.

Make fun.

The AZ economy is going down the toilet from this one. It is only a matter of time. Because there are very very many people who are likely to feel the same way on this issue. And some are affluent who just might decide that AZ isn't where they want to retire.

Thank you!! This is racist, period. No matter how you look at it. There is no way to enforce this law without racial profiling. Something needs to be done but alienating other Americans just because they aren't white is definitely not the answer!

Has anyone here actually read the bill?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links