Getting chased by a dog

This is a discussion on Getting chased by a dog within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My kids have perfected the art of getting a dog to chase them this weekend. It seems the best way to do it is as ...

Thread: Getting chased by a dog

Getting chased by a dog

My kids have perfected the art of getting a dog to chase them this weekend. It seems the best way to do it is as follows.

1) Scream like a girl to alert the dog of your presence

2) Flap your arms like a wounded animal

3) Run to trigger all of the other instincts not yet engaged

I have said "Keep you arms down and walk!" about a thousand times, but neither my 4yo boy or 2yo girl seem to have the ability.

2. Remove Ads

Some dogs get overly excited during a chase....once the object has been caught is when one of two things can happen. If there's a dog you don't know, you should never turn your back on it, run away, or look it in the eyes. Standing your ground puts you both on equal terms for the moment until either one makes a move. The movement will be judged as either a threat or gesture of dominance. Most 2 and 4 year old children have no idea, and they are easily outweighed and overpowered by most medium size dogs and up. Best to you in schooling your children about interacting with dogs. I'm sure there's plenty of scary videos available on the internet to boost your cause.
    There are other circumstances that can provoke a dog to bite a child. Running, playing, screaming kids can trigger an instinctive predator-prey reaction in some dogs. Children who rough house and wrestle with dogs unknowingly encourage them to use their teeth. Dogs equate this kind of play with littermates or other dogs where using teeth is allowed. Startling a sleeping dog or petting him when he's eating can also provoke a bite.

What can be done to prevent dogs from biting children? I feel that, first, it's essential to understand that almost any dog will bite under the right circumstances. Second, a dog is a dog, an animal whose behavior isn't the same as humans and can't always be predicted with 100 percent accuracy, no matter how friendly or reliable he is.
    From this article here: Dog Owner's Guide: Kids and Dogs: A Common Sense Approach

Get a female Golden Retriever, I don't think you can find a gentler dog.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    My approach was developed when I was delivering the Washington Post as a kid (about six hundred of 'em on weekdays, eight hundred to a thousand on Sundays). It's hard to do much of anything with a load of newspapers other than get it between you and the dog. So I came up with this method: walk decisively toward the dog, maintaining eye contact at all times, and making the lowest-pitched growl possible, while at the same time visualizing myself tearing that dog's front legs off his body and beating him over the head with his own bloody legs.

Never have had a problem with dogs.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Get a female Golden Retriever, I don't think you can find a gentler dog.
    Oh yeah, an Irish Wolfhound...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Duct tape the kids.....
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

VIP Member
    You should get one of these, that way when your kids "call " another dog over, you'll be all set

Caucasian Ovtcharka

Hey man, you live in America now... speak Spanish!
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    My approach was developed when I was delivering the Washington Post as a kid (about six hundred of 'em on weekdays, eight hundred to a thousand on Sundays). It's hard to do much of anything with a load of newspapers other than get it between you and the dog. So I came up with this method: walk decisively toward the dog, maintaining eye contact at all times, and making the lowest-pitched growl possible, while at the same time visualizing myself tearing that dog's front legs off his body and beating him over the head with his own bloody legs.

Priceless!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    You should get one of these, that way when your kids "call " another dog over, you'll be all set

Caucasian Ovtcharka

Hey man, you live in America now... speak Spanish!
    Impressive dogs!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post

I walk a lot for exercise, and I do this very thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Duct tape the kids.....

Dogs can very easily have their predetor/prey trigger tripped when around kids.

The suggestion to "duct tape" your kids is not as far fetched as some may think. It can be a quick and useful lesson in keeping your arms down and walking if done properly and under qualified supervision. Training the dog, and supervising the dog, should go without saying as well.

As a dog owner it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to maintain control of my dog to ensure that only those that I say he can bite get bit.

Biker

Links