Co-worker Jumped at Gas Station...Dallas, 4-24-10

This is a discussion on Co-worker Jumped at Gas Station...Dallas, 4-24-10 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just thought I'd post this to let you know what went down and where. A couple co-workers of mine were getting ready to go home ...

Thread: Co-worker Jumped at Gas Station...Dallas, 4-24-10

Just thought I'd post this to let you know what went down and where.
    A couple co-workers of mine were getting ready to go home and taking care of thier end of shift duties by getting some fuel at a gas station on thier way back to HQ.
    They stopped at the Chevon on the NE corner of 635 & Midway at approx 3am Saturday morning, got out of the ambulance and started receiving nasty comments from some random thug and even askin my co-worker what his proplem was to which he obviously replied that he didn't have a problem.
    The co-worker didn't think much of it when he looked back up and didn't see the guy, next thing you know he absorbs a couple sucker punches as the guy snuck up behind him.
    The fight is on! Right there in the parking lot, but sadly it's 3am and traffic is minimal.
    I've got no idea where his partner is, who is a small fella btw and prob would have just gotten hurt if he had tried to interveen.
    The one under attack is a BIG OL BOY, I'll tell ya, and worked EMS in New Orleans before coming here after Katrina so I assume he knows how to take care of himself.
    Long story short the BG got away and my co-worker is ok minus an injured ankle sustained from multiple kicks to the BG. I'll consider this a win though.
    I've talked to the guy he worked with that night and two supervisors who all say the BG got his xxx whooped!
    I'm really lookin forward to seeing the security footage from the stores cameras.
    The BG got away but the cops did find his "boo"(girlfrind) riding around on a flat tire. What happens now I don't know, but I am interested to see where it goes from here.

I even made the comment to one of my supervisors that maybe it's time they allow us to start carrying pocket knives...of course his answer was no. But he did mention how effective a portable oxygen cylendar could be against a BG which I thought was funny coming from a supervisor.

So, just a reminder, 635 and Midway is not a nice place to be at 3am. Also, I seem to remember a post on here a while back about something similar in the same general vacinity.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Wow, what about pepper spray can y'all use that?
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I don't know.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    The employee handbook only specifies that we are not allowed to carry or posses on our person or on company property a firearm or any other dangerous weapon.
    While PS is not a weapon, but a self defence tool IMO, I can see the higher ups having a different opinion if it were ever discovered I had it with me on the truck.
    Could I fight it claiming that no policies were specificly violated? Maybe, but Texas is an "At Will" state which means they don't really have to have a reason to fire you.
    You can be fired for not putting the toilet seat down.....not really, but you catch my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    I don't know.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    The employee handbook only specifies that we are not allowed to carry or posses on our person or on company property a firearm or any other dangerous weapon.
    While PS is not a weapon, but a self defence tool IMO, I can see the higher ups having a different opinion if it were ever discovered I had it with me on the truck.
    Could I fight it claiming that no policies were specificly violated? Maybe, but Texas is an "At Will" state which means they don't really have to have a reason to fire you.
    You can be fired for not putting the toilet seat down.....not really, but you catch my drift.
    OC spray is not dangerous, but it is HOT!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well i appreciate the work that you and all EMS do. you see the worst of the

worst and put your life on the line everyday. If i were you i would probably carry

a stun gun or pepper spray at least and only use it only if absolutely necessary..
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Well, the problem with that is that my company is more concearned with how they may be held liable if we were to defend ourselves, so they prohibit us from carrying anything to do so with.
    Though OC and a taser are not "weapons" I have a feelin that the higher
    ups would not feel the same way and would terminate on site.
    I might could fight it but who knows.

I hope you don't ever have to work with his "partner"...so much for having his partner's back.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    I hope you don't ever have to work with his "partner"...so much for having his partner's back.
    Right!
    Seriously though, he's a small timid little guy. He would have just gotten hurt.

A Bic to the Eye always makes people let go and back up a few steps.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    Well, the problem with that is that my company is more concearned with how they may be held liable if we were to defend ourselves, so they prohibit us from carrying anything to do so with.
    Though OC and a taser are not "weapons" I have a feelin that the higher
    ups would not feel the same way and would terminate on site.
    I might could fight it but who knows.
    Just wait until one of you is really hurt bad, and gets a good lawyer, they want to know what liability is. They prevented you from defending yourself, you followed their rules and were injured as a result. Good lawyer and they may have a problem.
    Last edited by Hiram25; April 26th, 2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Good point Hiram.
    But for the time being the policy is in place and its there for a reason Im sure and Im ok with that.
    If anything happens to me like this I'll just hope I can kick him in the nards, and get back in my rig quick enough to make like a tree and get the heck outta there!
    lol

Tactical pen, kubaton, Bunch of useless keys on a steel carabiner. You get the idea. Boss I just used the first thing I could get my hands on.

And the O2 cylinder would work unless you managed to whack off the end, then you have a nice little rocket on the loose. I was always a bit extra careful when skiing around with those when I patrolled.

Maybe a heavy duty set of EMT shears. Or the emergency tools for cutting seatbelts. There are always options. Like I told my wife, if I ever have to use something to defend myself at work what the boss has to say is low on my list of priorities during the engagement. Good luck.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    He could have sprayed the BG with gasoline. You'd be amazed how that takes the fight out of people.

Your co-worker should file for workers comp for the ankle. If that doesn't get the higher ups attention, nothing will until someone gets seriously injured or killed (God forbid!).

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Like I told my wife, if I ever have to use something to defend myself at work what the boss has to say is low on my list of priorities during the engagement. Good luck.
    I like that!

Sponsored Links