WW2--FDR'S SPEECH EDITED ON WW2 MEMORIAL

WW2--FDR'S SPEECH EDITED ON WW2 MEMORIAL

This is a discussion on WW2--FDR'S SPEECH EDITED ON WW2 MEMORIAL within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was written by a person who visited the memorial and discovered the glaring omission. Today, I went to visit the new WW2 Memorial in ...

Bravo3

WW2--FDR\'S SPEECH EDITED ON WW2 MEMORIAL

This was written by a person who visited the memorial and discovered the glaring omission.

Today, I went to visit the new WW2 Memorial in Washington DC. I got an unexpected history lesson. Since I am a baby boomer, I was one of the youngest in the crowd. Most were veterans of WW2 with their families. Hundreds of us milled around, reading the inspiring words of Ike and Truman that are engraved there. On the Pacific side of the memorial, a group of us gathered to read the words FDR used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor: \"Yesterday, December 7, 1941--a date which will live in infamy--the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked.\"

One woman read the words aloud. \"With confidence in our armed forces, with unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph\".

But, as she read, she was suddenly angry. \"Wait a minute--they left out the end of the quote. They left out the most important part. Roosevelt said \'so help us God\'. \"You are probably right\" said her husband, \"but we are not supposed to say things like that now.\"

\"I know I\'m right\" she insisted--\"I remember the speech.\" The two shook their heads and walked away.

I went home and pulled out the book \"Flags Of Our Fathers\" by James Bradley. It\'s all about Iwo Jima. Right there--on page 58 was Roosevelt\'s speech which ends with--\"so help us God.\" The people who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on the memorial could have fooled me. I was born after the war,but they could not fool the people who were there.

Rickman

Have you verified this?

If it\'s true, I hope someone calls them on it!

Bravo3
    ********!

Links