New rule

New rule

This is a discussion on New rule within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you demand that new immigrants learn to speak English and use it as much as possible,then YOU , as a U.S. citizen, must speak ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rule

Exclamation New rule

If you demand that new immigrants learn to speak English and use it as much as possible,then YOU, as a U.S. citizen, must speak and write English even better than the immigrants.
    After all,you are asking them to learn a second language, while you only had to learn one.

Rant off
    BTW, feel free to correct my spelling,grammar or syntax.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

VIP Member
    There better of lerning to speke the wright whey.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I get your joke but I literally don't know what you are trying to say.!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    After all,you are asking them to learn a second language, while you only had to learn one.
    I'm not trying to live in their country. If I moved to a foreign country I wouldn't expect everyone to speak English.

It is their choice to move here, that's why they need to know how to speak English.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    They're better off learning to speak the right way, English.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

my english may not perfect, but i am certainly not asking their english to be perfect either! they should however be learning and trying.
    i lived in germany for a year and although plenty of people spoke english, i never did.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    my english may not perfect, but i am certainly not asking their english to be perfect either! they should however be learning and trying.
    i lived in germany for a year and although plenty of people spoke english, i never did.
    Exactly!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

English is the language of money. I hear it's not easy to learn. The laziness of certain people shows in the fact that they don't look up words in the dictionary before making a public sign. The world is laughing.

If you demand that new immigrants learn to speak English and use it as much as possible,_then YOU, as a U.S. citizen, must speak and write English even better than the immigrants.
    After all,_you are asking them to learn a second language, while you only had to learn one.

Rant off
    BTW, feel free to correct my spelling,_grammar or syntax.
    If I move to Mexico should the have to learn English? No. I should have to learn Spanish. I don't see how moving to the US is any different. I don't mind incorrect English, I just like seeing an attempt at learning our language. IIRC in order to be naturalized you must be able to write and speak English competently.

I'd hate to be in a country where I couldn't communicate with the locals well enough to ask directions to the neares McDonalds or get help.... maybe that's why I have no desire to travel abroad.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

If you demand that new immigrants learn to speak English and use it as much as possible,then YOU, as a U.S. citizen, must speak and write English even better than the immigrants.

Rant off
    BTW, feel free to correct my spelling,grammar or syntax.
    Your point escapes me. As a US citizen living in my own country, if I choose to speak and write the language like a moron I have that right. As for new immigrants, if they are not here legally I don't demand that they learn to speak and use English at all. I demand that they LEAVE.

Senior Moderator
    My Italian great aunt moved here in 1946 after marrying my Uncle in 1945 (she was a Gi bride), she spoke English but to tell the truth I could understand her Italian better than her English and I don't speak Italian.

When my Great Uncle and Aunt met, he didn't speak Italian and she didn't speak English, but they seemed to have been able to communicate with each other well enough
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Your point escapes me. As a US citizen living in my own country, if I choose to speak and write the language like a moron I have that right. As for new immigrants, if they are not here legally I don't demand that they learn to speak and use English at all. I demand that they LEAVE.
    You certainly have the right to speak English badly. I simply feel that if we ask immigrants to learn a second language (and I do) we should try to speak our native language better.
    I was talking about LEGAL immigrants,the illegal issue is for another thread.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If someone immigrates to the US they need to learn to speak English. Period! I will not attempt to communicate with anyone speaking a foreign language on US soil. If I move to France (not very likely) I will learn to speak French.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If they are here legally, I don't care what they speak. If they choose to only speak their own language, then good luck getting around and having a life. I hope they find a local community that speaks their language.

But I do NOT think that our school systems, public signs or consumer packaging should be required to have multiple languages.

While it is nice to see signs in English while in other countries, by no means do I expect it, nor feel that it should be there.

If you want to imigrate somewhere, it would seem to indicate that you want to be there. So learn how to be there!
    Walk softly ...

I have been to Japan, Spain and Mexico. I tried very hard to either learn their language or enough of it to communicate my needs. I did this for two reasons. First, it's their language and second, I did it out of respect. I am their guest, in their house, so to speak. It is only proper and courteous.

ETA: When I was in either of the countries above, when I took the time to speak their language, I was treated with respect that I had taken the time to learn it, which is rough with Japanese! I made good friends in all three countries by learning to incorporate myself into their culture and language. For this reason, I treat others with respect when they speak English and they are not native. Heck, in Montana, I have strove to learn the language of the native tribes, because hey, they were here first. But, honestly, that could apply Spanish in California, Arizona etc, but oh well.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links