Homemade yogurt

This is a discussion on Homemade yogurt within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm attempting my first time making yogurt at home. I'm trying the long method of 12 1/2 hours. If It works for me it'll be ...

Thread: Homemade yogurt

Homemade yogurt

I'm attempting my first time making yogurt at home. I'm trying the long method of 12 1/2 hours. If It works for me it'll be so much cheaper. I usually eat a 32oz container a day which costs around $2.50-$3.00. I don't eat it as much as I used to because of the price.

Anyone else make or have made homemade yogurt?
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    I've made it before.

A couple tips

1. Make sure all your containers and pots, etc are really clean
    2. Don't overheat the milk; too hot and it will kill the culture
    3. Don't go crazy stirring the culture yogurt in, stir/mix it in gently and just enough to combine into the milk
    4. Don't bump or jostle the container(s), just let them go
    5. Don't be too disappointed if the finished product isn't as thick as store-bought, much of that has thickeners in it. You can strain it through cheesecloth if you want it thicker

Good luck!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Moderator
    I make my yogurt. I use the oven with just the light on. I mix my milk and starter culture in a bowl and then put the bowl in the oven overnight, presto chango a bowl full yogurt in the morning
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

We'll see how this comes out. I warmed up the milk and added culture. I wrapped towels around it and put it in the oven for over night.

I found a few methods some quick and some longer. If this doesn't work out for me I might try the crock pot way next.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

YouTube - Yoghurt's final scene in Spaceballs
    May the Schwartz be with you...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Well the first attempt I think came out okay. I didn't eat much of it because my daughter was ill and threw up on me 3 times in one day. So that didn't make yogurt very appealing to me.

I'm doing a new method right now. It's a "fast" method of only 3 1/2 hours. If it doesn't come out right I might do the first recipe again or try a crock pot.
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

The second batch I made came out great. I added a little maple syrup to one of the mason jars after it was finished. One of the jars came out really thick the other one not so much.

I poured it over some fresh strawberries today and it was so much better then store bought.
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    The second batch I made came out great. I added a little maple syrup to one of the mason jars after it was finished. One of the jars came out really thick the other one not so much.

I poured it over some fresh strawberries today and it was so much better then store bought.
    Stop it, I am hungry and I miss homemade yogurt. Sounds good!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Links