Kill Switch?

Kill Switch?

This is a discussion on Kill Switch? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, you know how motorcycle's (most of them anyways) have a kill switch on the handlebars? Is there a kit or way out there that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill Switch?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Kill Switch?

Ok, you know how motorcycle's (most of them anyways) have a kill switch on the handlebars?

Is there a kit or way out there that one could install for your car/truck? Say under the dash out of sight where only the owner would know about it.

There's been a couple cars stolen out of our employee parking area in the past few weeks & I was thinking if I (or anyone) had this hidden kill switch that no matter what they did to try to hotwire the ignition on the steering column that the kill switch would keep them from starting it up.
    For God, Family and Country!

I think people do that all the time. In a car with a conventional starter, you just route one of the starter wires through the switch. I don't know if that would work with a push-button start cars like some of the newer fancy cars have today.

I am sure there has to be. My father had a '91 grand prix that had one under the dash. It seemed to just be a toggle switch. Never looked real close at it. He did not install though. Not sure if it was a factory security feature.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

There has got to be something like on hot rods, they have a battery disconnect usually in the back of car. I think its some form of a knob you can turn. If they have that, I would think they have something you could conceal under the dash. A lot of cars have a computer chip inside the key which i think does the same thing.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

There are plenty of ways to disable your vehicle... a lot of alarm systems now use that as a feature...

Consider routing the power for the fuel pump through a switch... don't flip the switch, don't get gas.

Or like was mentioned... run one of the starter wires through the switch... either the power or the ground... no connection, no start.

When my dad was around, years ago, he had his ignition wired so that even with the key, you had to have the lights on and in the 'brights' position to start his car.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Promise not to tell anybody but we used to install a resister on the cold side of the ignition coil and ran a wire in the factory loom all the way thru the firewall to the cigarette lighter. You would cut the cut the positive wire in the center and connect it to the wire from the resister. When you got out of the car you pushed in the cigarette light all the way in. Because there was no positive power going to the lighter did not heat up and pop out. You could crank the car all day long and you would not get spark to get the car to run. To start it you popped the lighter back out to the rest spot as it normally sits. People would be looking all day long and never see it. On all the cars that I have installed it on and all the people I have taught how to install it people have tried to steal it but never lost a car.

Could be easily done with a standard relay and can use anything as the trigger to activate it. Like pushing up the power window to the close position and turn the key. Locking the doors. putting on your seat belt. Power mirror switch anything. Send me a PM and I will explain how to wire the relay cube.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When my dad was around, years ago, he had his ignition wired so that even with the key, you had to have the lights on and in the 'brights' position to start his car.
    Old school trick

Had a pick up truck at work stolen last November. It was the only one of twelve that was locked. The rest were unlocked with keys in ignition.....Go figure

My bro in law had a security feature on one of his cars that had some kind of a system where in order to start the car, you had to insert a connector into a socket under the dash. Ignition, fuel and starter were all wired into this circuit, so the car was pretty much a giant paper weight without it.
    Here is something like it.
    Ravelco Anti Theft Device
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I saw one years ago where the guy had installed a push button switch in the cigarette lighter. Push in the lighter and the car would start, push it again and it wouldn't.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Ive got a 55 truck with a kill switch. You ground the negative side of the coil thru a switch.You'll run the battery dead but it won't fire.Switch is hidden.Good place for a switch is in the back of the ash tray.Turn on the switch and close the ashtray.Bottom of the console is another. MIKE

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Merrell, I had a truck stolen in afternoon by a mental health patient who was bright enough to head for detox the next day, after she found out I was going
    after her for everything including restitution.I worked in one of Maine's countys
    Superior Courts so I got to know District Attorney and Judges.I asked them for advise before I even proceed with the D.A. in the adjacent county.I wanted
    full restitution,no drivers license until I was made full on all financial requests.My
    case went to court in about two months ,boy did I get the ass kicking of my life ! Since this person was on social security I couldn't sue her for damages !
    There was no way for me to recover $4200 worth of damage and costs ,she
    caused because you can't sue.Where she went to detox because she was a repeat drunk driver she only got 7 days in jail despite being clocked on radar
    doing 120mph on a secondary road (two way) this is where my truck rolled
    and was totaled.To the best of my knowledge 15 years latter she not driving
    because my insurance will not allow her to get a driver's license until she pays.
    I had to fight with the insurance company to get a fair settlement and I refused
    the first two offers and was headed to meadation when we finally settled at
    19,200 for a 9 month old truck.I lost out sales tax,excise tax.What bothers me the most is the thief got away with a hand slap nothing for stealing my truck !
    7 days in the can for drunk driving. When the D.A. called me to tell me the out come I asked him,how could that be as do you know how long it's going to take me to replace $4200 IN LOSSES SHE CAUSED ! One account ,one year
    I told the D.A. he botched my case and why didn't she get any time for stealing
    and destroying property? All he did was stammer, I told him it was a good thing he didn't work and live in my county as I would make dam sure this case would be in the paper as one not prosecuted properly.ILast thing I told this guy was he did a lousy job and I am the victim. This happened before gap insurance
    so when you buy a car and you borrow money on it buy the gap insurance!

Ignition wiring is pretty tied into the engine control computer these days. If you have a fuel-injected vehicle, I would avoid that route.

What will work is to identify the power lead either to the fuel pump directly, or to the fuel pump relay, and install a hidden switch which controls it. Switching the FP relay is desireable because of the small current involved; fuel pumps are typically fused at 25 amps or more so you would need a switch capable of handling that current.

Mount the toggle switch some place out of the way, such as tied to the seat frame under the driver's seat. You don't have to go nuts finding a super-secret location, just out of normal sight is fine as long as the wiring is hidden or at least inconspicuous.

With the FP switched off, your car may start but it sure won't run for long.

If you want to get esoteric, you could use the switch to move FP power to a slow-blow fuse rated at 1/3 to 1/2 the normal rating for the FP circuit. That would allow the car to be started and run for just a few minutes, presumably long enough for the thief to get the car out on the road before it died - thus calling attention to itself.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Here's a couple links if you are interested in anti theft devices...

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

How to Install a Kill Switch | eHow.com

Just google and you will get a wealth of information. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links