Attention facebook folks

This is a discussion on Attention facebook folks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just posted this to my friends on FB, but you should be aware of it too, so I am putting a copy here. Facebook ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention facebook folks

Attention facebook folks

I just posted this to my friends on FB, but you should be aware of it too, so I am putting a copy here.

Facebook is allowing your info to be public again and you have to manually opt out. This isn't a hoax or a scam.
    To opt out, go to Account> Privacy> Applications and Websites> Instant Personalization Pilot Program
    Go to the bottom of the page and unclick the box: Allow select partners to instantly personalize their features with my public information when I first arrive on their websites.

Debate Continues Around Facebook Privacy Changes : NPR

I verified this by going to Yelp.com and it did indeed show up. Also, it shows up on Pandora.com.

I also recommend resetting your password as well as reviewing your other privacy settings.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

This one has been around for a good week now. I posted the same to my friends. It is not a joke.

Facebook Kills More Of Your Privacy For Cash - The Consumerist

Yea. This is part of their "Like" everything attempt. Numerous web sites can now access your face book unless you opt out. It's a check box in you privacy settings.
    I review mine about once a week, every week just for this.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

DM2
    Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about deleting my FB profile. Keeping up with all the changes they constantly do is becoming annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about deleting my FB profile. Keeping up with all the changes they constantly do is becoming annoying.
    Yea, I'd be deleting mine too...if it weren't for the fact that I keep in touch with a lot of people on it.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    It has some positive uses, you just have to approach it from the perspective of "Would I post this on a community bulletin board?" If the answer is no, it probably shouldn’t go on Facebook.
    A second recommendation I would make if you have a spouse like mine (or children using FB), is to review their accounts' security settings with them. My wife has no idea how to set that stuff, so I check hers regularly too.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Thanks. I modified my FB so am a happy camper (for now).
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I just changed mine. Thanks for posting.
    For God, Family and Country!

Thanks!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

You might want to go to a website called spokeo.com also. Type your name in the search box and see how much information about you pops up there. It has a privacy opt out feature at the bottom of the page also.

I had never heard of it until a friend told me. Apparently, it scours the internet and compiles data from every available source.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Thanks!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    updated and thank you
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Thanks to you and others for posting this info. I had meant to change it after I read the first thread, but forgot. So, when I saw ours. I went straight to facebook and changed it.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    You might want to go to a website called spokeo.com also. Type your name in the search box and see how much information about you pops up there. It has a privacy opt out feature at the bottom of the page also.

I had never heard of it until a friend told me. Apparently, it scours the internet and compiles data from every available source.
    I just checked spokeo....it does have some correct info...but some incorrect info as well. It says I live in a >$1M house with swimming pool but in a below avg neighborhood...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links