Land ownership

This is a discussion on Land ownership within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Maybe someone can help since my google-fu isn't working very well today On the U.S. side of the U.S.-Mexico border,who owns the land? Is it ...

Thread: Land ownership

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Land ownership

Maybe someone can help since my google-fu isn't working very well today

On the U.S. side of the U.S.-Mexico border,who owns the land? Is it private, state, or federal?

I think you can see where I'm going with this.

2. Remove Ads

God question!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I beleive it is a mix of all of the above...Where are you interested in exactly?
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

There are many ranchers in Arizona (one was killed recently), who have a border fence right on their property. That's obviously private.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    There are many ranchers in Arizona (one was killed recently), who have a border fence right on their property. That's obviously private.
    AZ ranches are mostly on public lands leased by the individual rancher from the agency that owns the land.

The land on the border is a mix of public, Forest Service, BLM, AZ State and Interior Department lands coupled with Tribal and private ownership. That's the theory.

The reality is, much of Arizona's lands are in possession of the drug cartels.

Biker

VIP Member
    Some of each. There is private property that goes right up to the border. There are park and recreation areas that go to the river. One of the problems Uncle has had trying to build a fence has been opposition by land owners not wanting to cede easements or access, or sell land.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So then it would seem to me that if I owned or leased land on the border I could enforce the law as it applied to trespass, castle doctrine,and robbery.

Yes i know some groups have tried this in the past but,if I'm on my land I would think I have the same rights as say any other U.S. citizen.If I were to detain someone for criminal trespass wouldn't the L.E. have to come and get them, find out obviously that they're illegal and then do the right thing?

I like the new law that the GOV. of AZ signed into law this week, no permit's need any more for CC just like VT. & Alaska it would be nice to see all of the states adapt this sometime in my lifetime.

My family has a hunting lease within 10 miles of the border (Texas side). I asked the ranch manager why they didn't take special action against insurgents from mexico, and he said that if he, or any other landowners in the area, tried it, they'd end up dead. Also, the insurgents have more rights than the owners. Say Boo to one, he'll sue you, or shoot you. Expect no help from LEO, they are spread too thin. I hope that attitude has changed by now.

he said that if he, or any other landowners in the area, tried it, they'd end up dead. Also, the insurgents have more rights than the owners. Say Boo to one, he'll sue you, or shoot you.
    Geezer speaketh thy truth.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Geezer speaketh thy truth.

Biker
    ^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Links