Did this guy overreact to car prank? - Page 3

Did this guy overreact to car prank?

This is a discussion on Did this guy overreact to car prank? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Stupid should hurt. I wonder what the back story to all this is....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did this guy overreact to car prank?

Stupid should hurt. I wonder what the back story to all this is.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I see two criminal acts. The jumper AND the driver who after starting to drive away continues to steer into the BG and run him over on purpose. All he had to do was cut the wheel the other way (or hammer the breaks) and the guy would have shot off the hood allowing him to escape.

He didn't HAVE to run the guy over, I think he did it on purpose. If I were a jury member I'd convict him of attempted murder.
    atctimmy How could you say he intentionally ran him over?

The moment he slid off the hood he was under the wheels of the car. You also have to take into account what the driver is capable of doing "in the heat of the moment."

If the driver was startled to the point of being in "fight or flight" mode, and he chose to flee the danger, the totality of the situation coupled with the number of seconds before it was all over severely limits ones physical ability to change the action of what their brain has already decided to do initially.

From the moment the guys butt hit the hood of the car until he was being run over with the rear tires was 4.8 seconds.

From the moment the driver started the action to flee, (indicated by the puff of smoke exiting the exhaust and the vehicle starting to move forward), until the man was being run over was 3.3 seconds.

From the moment the guy slid off the hood until he was run over was 0.71 seconds.

Also the vehicle behind him was no more than 2.5 - 3 feet directly behind him, his only avenue of escape was to drive forward.

There's also the circumstances surrounding this event in it's totality and what specific information was known to the driver at the moment. For all we know, he could have been in the middle of the carjack capital of that particular Country.

On the basis of an 8 second video clip, you already have him convicted of attempted murder?

Whew, it's a good thing we allow expert witness testimony in our court proceedings. Because sometimes, some jury members need to be educated on certain matters. Such things as physics, physiological processes which take place in the human body, the time it takes for the brain to react to certain stimulus as well as the time it takes to change that decision once the brain has given orders to respond with a certain course of action. Also the psychological effects of being suddenly thrust into a dangerous and frightened state of awareness and action when moments ago, no threat was perceived on the horizon.

Yes, there is always the potential of a juror who is incapable of learning about such phenomenon and will vote solely on their emotions.

So thank the lord, we also have what's called a "hung jury" and a mistrial to handle that aspect as well.

YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sure looks like he had something in his hand & after he gets run over you can see something shiny & silver laying on the ground!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I think the driver was in the right all the way. Any one that would pull a prank like this has no grounds to complain. It's a stupid thing to do and I would have had the same reaction. The driver probably was surprised and hit the gas to get away from this idiot.

We only have the on-hood escapades and what follows. We have no idea what preceded the jumping onto the hood. As others have suggested, the "back story" is everything. Can't see much in a short clip. Was there a seething mob? Was he boxed in with multiple other felons threatening his life? What happened in the 10sec prior to that clip? We don't know.

It's pretty simple for me. If someone has threatened my life and is now being so violent as to risk prying me out of my car or damaging me/mine, then I will absolutely be exiting the area. If the violent perp happens to fall off the front side of the hood during the exit, tough toenails. The goal, after all, is to protect the innocents. If legitimately at risk of loss of life or limb, I will not remain in the area if it's at all possible to leave. Stupid perps be damned.

Now, that being said, it heavily depends on the degree of threat. Being inside a car provides a lot of protection right there. It's going to take a lot to legitimately threaten a person inside a car. By far, a firearm is the greatest risk to occupants of a car. Even that little sardine can of a vehicle didn't pop open when the guy jumped onto the windshield/hood. Didn't seem to be a mob of people anywhere near. So, it would take quite a bit beyond mere verbal threats to justify, IMO, powering through people to get out of an area. Was that reached, in this instance? Doesn't look like it, though it's a bit hard to tell since it's only a clip. The occupant(s) knows the whole scoop. It all comes down to the viability and degree of threats leveled at the occupant(s).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Heck, maybe the guy was stealing his car, so he was trying one of those across the hood slides like in the movies to stop him????
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Actually, this was a clip of a stunt gone wrong from the new TJ Hooker reunion movie being filmed in the U.K. Word is William Shatner was only slightly injured in the stunt and will be back to filming in less than a week.

YouTube - TJ Hooker Intro

VIP Member
    Call it what you will guys. Mine is only one opinion. If I were behind the wheel I could have shook that guy off without running him over. I think he ran him over on purpose.

To Barkn: I will concede you your point, there is enough reasonable doubt so as not to convict. I still think it was on purpose but proving it would be a whole other matter.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    was the driver blowing things out of proportion by running him over?
    NO.

Besides, it was only a little car...

If I were to have to make a decision with only the evidence furnished here I would have to rule against the aggressor.

Michael

Hey atctimmy... That's fair.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Short answer yes.
    Guy jumps on your car Cry imminent danger take off your rear is blocked. Guy slides off left front of car turn right keep going call cops. Turn left to hit him again is excessive, almost going over curb vengeance. Driver is in trouble.
    My opinion.

If it had been a DC wife in that car, what would we have suggested doing...have her stick around and see what the guy wants?

The idiot got what he deserved...hopefully, the driver was cleared.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Stupid should hurt.

I have seen the whole video not just that little piece.
    It was Road Rage from said prankster. The driver did the right thing and got out of dodge.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links