Shiny shiny!!!

Shiny shiny!!!

This is a discussion on Shiny shiny!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi All, I just got a pair of new 5.11 boots today, I'm sitting here shining them up and was thinking. How many people are ...

Thread: Shiny shiny!!!

Shiny shiny!!!

Hi All,

I just got a pair of new 5.11 boots today, I'm sitting here shining them up and was thinking.

How many people are as anal as me when it comes to shiny boots, shiny badge shiny brass etc. (Anything that you can shine up)

This is intended to be a fun topic, I understand that shiny isn't always best BUT sometimes its fun. LEO and NON LEO please speak up about your "bling". How ridiculus are you?

I probably put 10-15 coats of polish on these boots, to seal and mirror them up as I say. My new gold badge and collar pins/whistle came in today too, gonna pick up a polishing cloth for those.

Let's hear it. lol. Thanks

Jason

PS- you can tell us about creased pants and pressed shirts too.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I'm a big believer in Cor-Fram shoes, no-wrinkle uniforms, and Sta-Bright insignia, if that's any clue.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    dress blues sure but field boots... how can they not get scuffed, scratched and worn?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I believe in keeping your gear as neat and presentable as possible. Yes field boots and equipment will get scuffed etc., but they can be maintained and "fixed". I am very against the new tendency to allow patrol officers and such wear "class B" uniforms while on routine duty. My hometown SD started doing this, and the deputies eventually started taking advantage, wearing just any old black sweatshirt and wrinkled bdu pants with a thigh rig. On evryday routine patrol you should be wearing your Class A uniform and it should be pressed and clean as possible your gear should be clean and presentable as possible. Things happen while on duty, but when you get the opportunity you should straighten up and present an example to the public. The world is getting way too lax and apathetic. I understand special duty, SWAT, and K-9 etc. I worked in one county that issued Class B to their deputies, 5.11 Khaki pants, Long sleeve polos embroidered with there logo and name, and a flex-fit embroidered ball cap. It looked very professional and was only worn upon the direct authority of the sheriff or chief deputy, in times of adverse weather such as blizzards, floods, etc. I like that there are people who still take pride in the appearance they present to the public while in an official capacity.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I've never been real big on looking snazzy, but polishing boots was one of my favorite methods of decompression. After a rough day at work, a bit of time a cotton ball, Lincoln wax, and spit always put my mind right.

Sadly, we don't polish our boots anymore.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    jwhite75 who does your uniform repairs? I hear you about being presentable... I just don't believe in having 100% spit and shine appearance 100% of the time. Keeping it clean and about 80% would be ok IMO. Keeping a CUU or even a standard duty uniform for LEO 100% would be awful tough if not impossible... especially if you don't have the tools to do so.

For dress though it must be 99-100% though less you get chewed out...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I agree with the scuffed boots thing it happens. I have a pair of Original S.W.A.T. boots that I wear now for kick around and dirty jobs because I got the new ones. They are about a year old. I am 6'2" and 320ish its been a hard year for these boots, they have worn out soles and broken down insoles scuffed etc. I can still bring a nice shine to them. I think because I have done it sooooooo many times they are loaded with polish. I can make them look really good, BUT if I don't keep it up they look like a dog toy lol.

What is STA-BRITE insignia, is that a polish?

Every shift,, before I hit the sack, I put on a new coat of kiwi. They'll either get scuffed over night or during the day on the next shift. I'm not anal, but I put some effort into my presentation. uniform shirt = always ironed and starched. I cant stand people who wear their shirts right out of the dryer..... It shouldn't even be allowed.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

VIP Member
    My old Navy trick for my work boots was to keep a can of gloss black spray paint handy. A quick once over every couple of days kept my boots within regs. The flight deck non-skid would eat boots up pretty fast so I didn't have to worry about ruining the leather. I went through 4 or 5 pair a year.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    What is STA-BRITE insignia, is that a polish?
    It's a brand that makes insignia with anodized coating. It reduces corrosion, and eliminates the need for polish.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

My uniform is always tight. Boots are seriously polished once per week. I bungee cord my shirt to my socks to keep myself perfectly tucked and tight. Uniform is always ironed with a sharp crease on sleeves and pant legs. I will never clean my badge however. Wipe it down, yes, but never thouroughly clean it. My badge gets nastier with every nasty thing I get myself into. Maybe those motorcycle clubs are onto something....you know, the guys who refuse to wash the vest cuz its disrespectful to the "patch"? Contrary to Daddy Warcrimes however, I absoultely hate polishing my boots :) If you ever need to decompress, i'll let you shine my boots, no charge!! :)

Guilty!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My old Navy trick for my work boots was to keep a can of gloss black spray paint handy. A quick once over every couple of days kept my boots within regs. The flight deck non-skid would eat boots up pretty fast so I didn't have to worry about ruining the leather. I went through 4 or 5 pair a year.
    I once spray-painted my ankles black (I couldn't find socks) right before an inspection .

If it involves work on my own time when I am with family, forget it. Used to put a high priority on spit and polish, but have switched gears as I near retirement.

I got these boots all shined up and now I'm realizing that I should have gone with a different size. Looks like I get to do it again.

Any tips on starching the uniform or creasing it? Do you all do it yourself?

Thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links