Failure of proficiency testing, training, etc?

Failure of proficiency testing, training, etc?

This is a discussion on Failure of proficiency testing, training, etc? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If "the plural of anecdote isn't evidence" one example is even less compelling. But from time-to-time a story comes along that fits ones point of ...

VIP Member

Question Failure of proficiency testing, training, etc?

If "the plural of anecdote isn't evidence" one example is even less compelling. But from time-to-time a story comes along that fits ones point of view too well.

So an anecdote, not evidence, suggesting that proficiency testing, training, etc does not guarantee a tool won't be misused. OTOH, post violation penalty are in play.

Hit-run victim dies of injuries - Roanoke.com

Hit-run victim dies of injuries
    Charges against Kimberly Eide have been upgraded to first-degree murder.
    By Jorge Valencia and Lerone Graham
    981-3349
    A Botetourt County woman faces murder charges after the woman she is accused of hitting with an SUV outside a Mexican restaurant before fleeing the scene died in the hospital Friday.

Tara Leann Rooksberry-Tyree, a 28-year-old nursing assistant living in Roanoke, lay unresponsive on the parking lot of El Rodeo restaurant, near the intersection of Electric Road and Brambleton Avenue in Roanoke County, when officers arrived there about 3:20 p.m. Tuesday, said David Damewood, Rooksberry-Tyree's stepfather. Kimberly Eide, 40, of Botetourt County was charged Tuesday with aggravated malicious wounding, driving under the influence subsequent offense, refusal of breath test and resisting arrest.

A man who was with Rooksberry-Tyree was also hit. The Roanoke County Police Department declined to name the man but said he declined medical treatment.

Officers pulled Eide over about 20 minutes later on Interstate 581 near the onramp to Interstate 81 north, police said.

Roanoke County police upgraded the charges to first-degree murder Friday after Rooksberry-Tyree died of her injuries, Detective Adam Thompson said.

Lauren Galvan, 30, Rooksberry-Tyree's older sister, was with family members at her bedside when she died at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

"I have faith in God and I believe justice will be served," she said.

Thompson said an investigation is ongoing. He asks that anyone with information call the police department at 562-3265.
    Woman hit by car was friends with suspect - Roanoke.com

Woman hit by car was friends with suspect
    The victim is being treated for severe brain damage, according to her stepfather.
    By Jorge Valencia
    981-3349

Tara Rooksberry used to invite her friend Kimberly Eide to her family's Roanoke County house. But something soured this week, and police believe Eide purposefully hit Rooksberry with an SUV. Doctors at a Roanoke hospital are treating her for brain damage.

Rooksberry, a 28-year-old nursing assistant, lay unresponsive on the parking lot of El Rodeo restaurant, near the intersection of Electric Road and Brambleton Avenue in Roanoke County, when officers arrived there about 3:20 p.m. Tuesday, said David Damewood, Rooksberry's stepfather.

"They were supposed to be friends," Damewood said. "Friends like that don't need enemies."

An article in Wednesday's Roanoke Times incorrectly stated that Rooksberry spoke to police Tuesday.

A man who was with Rooksberry was also hit. Detective Adam Thompson of the Roanoke County Police Department declined to name the man but said he declined medical treatment.

Thompson said officers pulled Eide over about 20 minutes later on Interstate 581 near the onramp to Interstate 81 north.

Officers charged Eide, 40, with aggravated malicious wounding, driving under the influence subsequent offense, refusal of breath test and resisting arrest. She was being held Wednesday at the Roanoke County-Salem Jail.

A week earlier, Eide had been arraigned at a Botetourt County District Court on charges of being drunk in public, destruction of property and assault of a law enforcement officer.

Rooksberry was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital on Tuesday. Damewood said he didn't know why his stepdaughter had argued with Eide or whether she would recover.

"She has very severe brain damage," he said. "The worst part is it's a waiting game."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Another example of drink clouding your better judgement!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Another example of drink clouding your better judgement!
    Never question that.

IMHO, it's a question of:

1) nanny state prior restraints (such as the Eighteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution, along with the Volstead Act) because someone might... , or even because quite a few do....

2) the idea that mandated proficiency testing & training will fix stupid.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links