The Tone of Posts Changing?

This is a discussion on The Tone of Posts Changing? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Maybe it's just me... but has the tone of posts changed in recent weeks? It seems that people are more argumentative than in the past. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tone of Posts Changing?

The Tone of Posts Changing?

Maybe it's just me... but has the tone of posts changed in recent weeks? It seems that people are more argumentative than in the past. Is this perceived "new" tone because of the current affairs in our country? I can remember after 9/11 how attitudes changed and people actually took time to be patient and care about the lives of others. I pray it doesn't take another tragedy or attack to remind us to be considerate...
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

2. Remove Ads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    Maybe it's just me... but has the tone of posts changed in recent weeks? It seems that people are more argumentative than in the past. Is this perceived "new" tone because of the current affairs in our country? I can remember after 9/11 how attitudes changed and people actually took time to be patient and care about the lives of others. I pray it doesn't take another tragedy or attack to remind us to be considerate...
    [sarcasm] What?!?! I'll take any tone I please thankyou! Don't tell ME to be patient! [/sarcasm]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Haven't been on this forum long but everyone seems pretty nice, aside from the occasional barb.
    You wanna seem some un-civil discourse, go on a left wing discussion group and say something nice about Sara Palin.

Just in the short time I have been here it seems that more of the post are being worded to start a disagreement. IMHO

I don't know if it is related but it seems that tension is high in America in general. With everything that is going on in New York and on the Mexican border and such people are on edge.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

VIP Member
    I think you guys are all full of crap!!!

Just kidding.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

You know how in some gun shops there's that crusty old know-it-all that is a jerk to everyone that is well......not him I guess. he may have learned how to use the interwebs.

Seriously!? I haven't noticed much of a change. Of course, I'm happy to be here when I can due to my more limited time for other things these days.

Well, there's 40,000+ registered members here, with around ~5,000 active members. With that many individuals, all with their own views on all of the subjects that are posted, there's bound to be some arguments and disagreements on occasion.

I've only been here about 14 months, but it does seem as though there's a few more arguments here than when I started, but not often enough for me to worry that this is going to turn into Glock Talk Home or anything like that.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Passionate people=Passionate discourse.

There has been a noticeable change, thus, Bumper's reminder of the rules.

We can discuss/argue/clarify until the cow's come home...but as long as the discourse is based on the facts/point of view and not directed at individual posters, there shouldn't be a problem. Everyone is not going to agree to one point of view--and that's ok...because if we did...then why am I talking to you?

As long as we keep it on topic and not run down rabbit trails, this is a great place to hang out.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I've seen the change too. However, most of the unwarranted attacks tend to be met with polite restraint or non-response by the more seasoned members here. Sadly, I wish I could say that I've held the line, but I've been pulled down a rabbit hole on one occasion as well. A lot of new folks have joined, and this forum is unique in it's professionalism, compared to most. It will likely take time for folks to adjust to DC's standards. I think the mods continue to do an outstanding job.

I love this forum. I take some of the responses with a grain of salt, and keep on truckin! Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I don't have to take the bait if I so choose.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I do like a lively debate.

I don't like when the debate turns to bickering... unless I am not involved in which case I grab the popcorn
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    I have noticed it at this board and others.

My belief is that it does have to do with external factors, such as government, border issues, terrorism, and let us not forget the contagion of the global economy, even if they are agitators on the subconscious level for some.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I joined in December, and DC is certainly not my first forum experience, I even admin a larger forum on a totally different topic elsewhere; the last thing I need in life is internet drama, if it was here I would've left long ago.

And I haven't noticed a change here in the past few weeks, so I'm still staying a regular reader of the forums, and offering what little I can where appropriate. Everyone here is pretty much an adult and 99% of the folks here act like them so it's been enjoyable.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    There has been a noticeable change, thus, Bumper's reminder of the rules.
    I thought Bumper said he did that every year regardless?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links