leaf blower gas or electric?

This is a discussion on leaf blower gas or electric? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My hand-me-down Gas Homelite leaf blower hasn't been running great for the past 2 years. It probably is about 8-10 years old. I am thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaf blower gas or electric?

leaf blower gas or electric?

My hand-me-down Gas Homelite leaf blower hasn't been running great for the past 2 years. It probably is about 8-10 years old. I am thinking of purchasing a new blower. My main task is to blow off the patio and driveway after I cut the lawn or whenever it is dirty. I don't have many leaves but I do get pine needles from some trees in my lawn. The Homelite gas blower wasn't powerful enough to blow the pine needles off. The pine needles tend to get caught in my Bermuda grass. I don't know if any blower that is affordable would be powerful enough to blow the pine needles out of my lawn.

Ok back to the main question.

Should I save money ($50-$100) and buy an electric blower, or should I buy a gas blower.

I know the Gas is easier to use because you don't have to drag an electrical cord around and you are not limited to the length of the cord. On the other hand an Electrical blower is easier to maintain and start.

It also seems that a lot of the Electrical Blowers advertise a higher MPH speed than the Gas. Wouldn't that mean the Electrical blowers are more powerful?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Makita has a small, light-weight blower with a 4-stroke engine. That's right, 4-stroke. No more mixing oil and gas, no more stale fuel. I've had mine for about 2 years. Starts on the first pull every time. I think it was about 100 bucks.

VIP Member
    If you ran a commercial business I'd say get a gas-powered.

We have an electric here, it has plenty of blowing power. Just buy an extension cord long enough to do what you want and dedicate it to staying with the ele. blower.

You'll be either messing with an extension cord OR you'll be messing with the gas mix, spark plugs, flooding, gunked carb, etc.

Of course it's your choice.....good luck
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Makita has a small, light-weight blower with a 4-stroke engine. That's right, 4-stroke. No more mixing oil and gas, no more stale fuel. I've had mine for about 2 years. Starts on the first pull every time. I think it was about 100 bucks.
    Good idea and good price.

I'm adding- 2 cycle or 4 cycle, I think you'll benefit from running the carb dry as much as possible, especially when you put it up for the off-season.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    What store sells this blower? The price doesn't sound bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    If you ran a commercial business I'd say get a gas-powered.

We have an electric here, it has plenty of blowing power. Just buy an extension cord long enough to do what you want and dedicate it to staying with the ele. blower.

You'll be either messing with an extension cord OR you'll be messing with the gas mix, spark plugs, flooding, gunked carb, etc.

Of course it's your choice.....good luck
    Yeah gas equipment sometimes if a pain to maintain compared to electric. A cord wouldn't bother me. I am just wondering about the performance difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Good idea and good price.

I'm adding- 2 cycle or 4 cycle, I think you'll benefit from running the carb dry as much as possible, especially when you put it up for the off-season.
    I ususally use Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer. Maybe that is why some of my gas equip tends to gunk up.

I got a GREAT 4 stroke little back pack blower from Lowe's this past fall. It was fantastic this past fall when getting up the leaves in the yard. Blow them up into a pile and take the mower to 'em! It's real light weight, easy on the back, and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Best of all, no oil to mix! The power is good too for what it is. Real easy to start too.

I've used bigger commercial blowers before, and they do get heavy after you run them for a couple hours.

Shop Troy-Bilt 32cc 4-Cycle Backpack Blower at Lowes.com

One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Senior Moderator
    My leaf blower

It's beer powered
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have worked commercially and just for myself. Always hated the electric powered stuff. Give me a good Stihl and the job will be done. Mix up gas for the year, and it starts on at least the second pull. And PLENTY of power. Of course, I share the gas with the outboard, the weed whip, the chain saw, and the blower.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Administrator
    I wont have an electric, its just a pain to drag around cords. For smaller jobs, I have a blower that attaches to and is powered by my weed eater. It works great and was like 30 bucks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    What store sells this blower? The price doesn't sound bad at all.

Yeah gas equipment sometimes if a pain to maintain compared to electric. A cord wouldn't bother me. I am just wondering about the performance difference.
    I bought at Home Depot.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I have a 2-stroke gas powered leaf blower made by Weedeater. It has plenty of power for my needs and I have the same brand string trimmer so I only need 1 fuel mix. Plus the leaf blower only cost about $70.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Gas powered is so much more mobile, faster, and easier to handle than messing around with power cords. They use very little gas, as long as you have some when you need it. Reminds me I need to go fill my can up. A few bucks depending on price hikes lasts me all the way till next winter.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Electric? BLASPHEMY!

Seriously...Gas. Much more portable and more powerful...
    {insert Tim Taylor manly grunt here}

If you do decide to get a new one...why not try to fix the old one on the side. Give it new life and then trade or resell...garage sale, craigslist, whatever. Might help(granted probably only a wee bit) offset the cost of a new one.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member

pgrass101 Same here

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    My leaf blower

It's beer powered
    Mrs Hopyard uses an electric leaf blower. I use one just like yours.
    I won't say what powers it, but it comes in 12 ounce bottles with the word cola embossed.

No more 2 cycle engines for me. I pay someone to mow our small front yard; I use an electric trimmer for the ground cover immediately in front of the house, and a rake or (the electric leaf blower) as appropriate "when falling leaves start to come."

We had truck loads of crushed rock dumped in our back yard and part of the front yard. Spray it down with Round Up a couple of times a year and except for the small area mowed by a pro, there is little real work to be done--except for gathering up the falling in the fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links