Have you ever left or almost left your ATM card in the machine?

This is a discussion on Have you ever left or almost left your ATM card in the machine? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by swinokur That's why I don't sign my card on the back. I print ASK FOR ID with a magic marker. Haven't gottern ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever left or almost left your ATM card in the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    That's why I don't sign my card on the back. I print ASK FOR ID with a magic marker. Haven't gottern to test it yet.

Not to deviate from my post but you must understand this. The Consumerist is one of my favorite web sites.

If you are one of those people who refuses to sign your credit card, be aware that it is invalid and merchants can and will refuse to accept it.

Unless your name is "Check ID," that's not a valid signature. End of story.

Unsigned Credit Cards Are Not Valid And Merchants Can And Will Refuse To Accept Them - The Consumerist

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Not to deviate from my post but you must understand this. The Consumerist is one of my favorite web sites.

If you are one of those people who refuses to sign your credit card, be aware that it is invalid and merchants can and will refuse to accept it.

Unsigned Credit Cards Are Not Valid And Merchants Can And Will Refuse To Accept Them - The Consumerist
    On the flip side... I have NEVER had a merchant check the signature yet. Been using credit cards for a couple decades now.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Nope, never done that one... yet. But it sure sounds like me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I think I'm the only person on the planet (aside from hubby) who does not own an ATM card. Everything is cash or credit card (which is paid off every month) for me.
    I believe that there are two of us...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad you got your card back.
    Last edited by 1911PKR; May 10th, 2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: OP didn't like my post.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I have found ATM cards in the machine and returned them to the bank.
    Since a crook doesn't know your pin number, I doubt he can use the card, but it is a pain to lose one.

My ATM card is also a Visa card, and that could be used.
    People cant use your card at the ATM but they can go nuts at BP, mobil, best buy, and other places that the user can just push credit.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post

never had my card refused, although I believe your post. I will sign my card when a retailer refuses it for the reason you state.

Until then my name will remain ASK FOR ID

I left my card in the machine once... I went to the bank, got money out, went to the grocery store and realized I didn't have it. Needless to say I had a panic moment until I went back to the bank and the lady told me the machine just sucks it back in and she retrieved it for me. I always double check now.

I'm not a huge fan of the ATM machine anymore though and if I do use it I make sure I'm armed. It seems like there are more and more reports of people getting robbed while using ATMs in this area.

Most of the ATMs I use now have just the "swipe" sensor. My bank still had the old style "eat the card" types in the lobby. One Saturday evening I was getting some running around cash out when I saw an older lady at the adjacent machine almost in tears because she couldn't figure it out. Being the good samaritan, I asked if she would like some help. I quickly got her straightened out and returned to my machine. Which, you guessed it, had swallowed my card for security. Here I am on Saturday night, not a penny in my pocket and I the bank is closed until Monday morning.

Talk about Karma backfiring on you!

Joe

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    If you don't retrieve it, it goes back into the machine and no more transactions can be made.

You have to contact the bank in the morning, show your identification, pick up your card, and apologize for being a complete idiot.

I'm speaking from experience.
    Why, I can't *believe* you did that! ...um... like I did, too.

I heard the beeping, but wanted to record the transaction before I left the ATM (this was during one of my many aborted attempts at responsible recordkeeping). About the time I reached for the card, the machine stopped beeping and sucked it back in. I was *not* pleased.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links