American flag offensive AGAIN!?!?!?

This is a discussion on American flag offensive AGAIN!?!?!? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; in CALIFORNIA AGAIN TOO. but worse then the other one. FOX News Radio - Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’ Originally Posted by fox news radio ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

in CALIFORNIA AGAIN TOO. but worse then the other one.

FOX News Radio - Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’
    Quote Originally Posted by fox news radio
    The battle over the American flag has reached a middle school art class in California’s Santa Rita School District where a student was told not to draw Old Glory because it was “offensive,” but another student — in the same class – was praised for drawing a picture of President Obama.

Tracy Hathaway, of Salinas, CA, told FOX News Radio her 13-year-old daughter was ordered to stop drawing the American flag by an art teacher at Gavilan View Middle School.

“She had drawn the flag and was sketching the letters, ‘God bless America,’ when the teacher confronted her,” Hathaway told FOX. “She said, ‘You can’t draw that – that’s offensive.’”

Even more striking, another student in the same art class drew a picture of President Obama and was praised by the teacher.

“The picture of Barack Obama was in red, white and blue hues,” Hathaway said. “The teacher said it was great. But when it comes to the flag – all of a sudden it was offensive?”

Hathaway said she took her concerns to the principal – and he was “floored” and apologized for what happened. He arranged a meeting with the Hathaways and the teacher.

“My husband point-blank asked her what she found offensive about the picture – the American flag or the words, ‘God Bless America,’” she said. “The teacher didn’t say a word.”

Hathaway said she was especially concerned that a picture of President Obama was praised yet a picture of the American flag was deemed offensive.

“That showed where she stood in the political spectrum,” she said “But this was not a political class. This was not a religious class. This was an art class. “

“My daughter wasn’t trying to break any rules and she wasn’t trying to create a scene,” she said. “She was just expressing her view and saying this is America and I want God to bless it.”

Mike Brusa, the superintendent of schools, told FOX in a written statement that he had contacted the principal and that the issue “was taken care of to their (the parent’s) satisfaction.”

“The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the superintendent’s office,” he wrote.

However, Hathaway said her daughter has yet to receive an apology – and in fact – the teacher told the girl that she should not have gotten her parents involved in the matter.

“My daughter felt like her rights were being trampled on – she was doing what she thought was right.” she said. “It’s disturbing. It really is disturbing. When I was in junior high we didn’t have a lot of the problems they are having now. We were allowed to speak our mind. It’s absolutely devastating for me. Last time I looked, this is America. This is still a free country.”
    here is the picture in question

The Asylum is being run by the inmates........

This turns my stomach. Sounds like the parents handled it better than I could or would have. The teacher needs to apologize to more than just the student.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

That is disturbing on so many levels!!! If that happened to my kid, I'd be on every news channel telling everyone that would listen. I'd be in the school superintendant's office, the county board of supervisors / town council, my kid would no longer be in that teacher's class, and I'd demand a public apology to not only my kid, but to every American. And these people are suposed to be teaching our kids? Be afraid of what it is they are teaching them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Definitely sickening, but this is posted in the wrong area.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Oh what the !

Again! Offensive? What .

Those . How stupid do you have to see the American flag as offensive? Though it seems that it was the phrase God Bless America that the teacher found offensive. Hmph. What's next? Cash is offensive because it says "In God we trust"?

Sorry about that. Rant off. The above post was censored for your protection.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I am thankful I have no kids of school age. I would have to home school for sure.

Public school teachers are way, way off the reservation and have been for at least the last 12 years or more. And they keep getting worse year by year!

We currently live in a small rural community where the teachers are not nearly as psychotic. Our daughter and husband moved from the suburbs to live here so our 8 year old granddaughter won't be subjected to the whims of insane lunatic liberal teachers who's role is indoctrination, not education. They moved here to avoid being forced into home schooling. But it's an option they hold out in case teachers here start to show the signs of lunacy.

Not to mention all the teachers molesting and having sex with our kids! I swear, it seems like the number one requirement to be a public school teacher is not a teaching degree... but to be amoral first, teaching degree second.

I'm afraid if I ever met someone who claims to be a teacher at some social event in a major metro city these days, I might puke on their shoes.

No really, I'm serious... I can hardly stomach what I hear going on in schools today.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    One of the advantages of being in my seventies is I'll not likely have to watch where this is going.

One of the advantages of living in SWVA is that it's not that bad here, yet. The schools still give out DAR and other organizations' citizenship awards/scholarships. Towns get plastered w/ flags on holidays like the 4th, Veterans' day, etc.

As for the younger members of the list, good luck, do the right thing, turn this Ca. nonsense around!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

"However, Hathaway said her daughter has yet to receive an apology and in fact the teacher told the girl that she should not have gotten her parents involved in the matter."

And this would have sent me over the edge. A teacher should not DARE tell a child to not tell their parents ANYTHING!!! That is worse in my eyes than the issue with the picture. It's like "snitches get stitches" for the classroom. These types of teachers need to grow up and take some responsibility. They are our kids not yours. I'm not big on clothing with the flag on it, outside of uniforms. But I think I would be buying some flag shirts top send my kids to school in.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The Asylum is being run by the inmates........
    Inmates show they're often better educated and smarter, as compared to the some of the unthinking, uncaring automatons engaged as so-called "educators" of our children.

I, too, would not have simply rolled over once the principal "spoke with" the teacher. Fearing "gang 'colors'" is one thing; fearing an uprising is one thing. But I can't, for the life of me, imagine what was going through that teacher's mind when seeking to jump on that child for her imagined infraction. When tromping on rights and children goes as far as that, to call one's own country and one's own flag 'bad' in front of the children, and to call the child 'bad' who dared to disagree, then it's clear such a person has no place being anywhere near a position of responsibility for educating children.

There are educators worthy of the name. There are many hundreds of thousands of them. Sadly, there is a good percentage of them who can't find righteousness or worth with a map and a light.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    One of the advantages of being in my seventies is I'll not likely have to watch where this is going.
    Nah. We can all see where it's going. It's what brings us together on issues like this.

It is inspiring, though, to see that the child in question recognized immediately who the teacher and student were with the question put to her. She knew, as did her parents. I doubt the teacher does, even after the "scolding" (or whatever was done, if anything) the teacher received. Therein lies some reason for hope, pitiful the rest of it is.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; May 12th, 2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

someone needs to fire that B! This is America!
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Art teacher should be locked into a Pillory.....and tomatoes for everyone.....take a pix.....it's art.........putz.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    "However, Hathaway said her daughter has yet to receive an apology and in fact the teacher told the girl that she should not have gotten her parents involved in the matter."

And this would have sent me over the edge. A teacher should not DARE tell a child to not tell their parents ANYTHING!!! That is worse in my eyes than the issue with the picture.
    +50 This would have gotten the teacher a nice conversation with the school superintendent an my attorney.

Here's an interview with the girl and her mother done last night.

Teacher Deems American Flag 'Offensive' | The FOX Nation

If political correctness gets involved in this the flag will be doomed at that school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links