Grillin'

Grillin'

This is a discussion on Grillin' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I really havent looked into it much, I have rust on my grill. Its been sitting since last fall and I have no idea how ...

Thread: Grillin'

Grillin'

I really havent looked into it much, I have rust on my grill. Its been sitting since last fall and I have no idea how to prevent it from forming again. Its a gas grill. I cleaned the rust off, but afraid of getting sick or something from eating food cooked on it. Would high heat spray paint work? Is there something I can put on it? Or do I have to clean it every time I want to grill something?

Put vegetable oil on the grates. Heat it up and repeat.

Use the grill more often, and get a decent grill brush. Don't brush it after you use it, but instead as it's heating up for its next use - yes, every time. It's part of the hair-on-the-chest man-thing.

If you fire the grill up to working heat, chances are you won't even see rust. But if you do, a quick brushing will take it off. You will not get sick from any residual rust on your grill. The LAST thing you want to do it to paint the grill parts exposed to high heat... THAT will get you sick!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Keep it covered when not in use! Those grill covers are great and will keep your grill nice and dry when it rains out. It'll also keep the UV rays off of it too.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Use the grill more often, and get a decent grill brush. Don't brush it after you use it, but instead as it's heating up for its next use - yes, every time. It's part of the hair-on-the-chest man-thing.

If you fire the grill up to working heat, chances are you won't even see rust. But if you do, a quick brushing will take it off. You will not get sick from any residual rust on your grill. The LAST thing you want to do it to paint the grill parts exposed to high heat... THAT will get you sick!
    Exactly...I clean before I use the grill...and after. Vegetable oil on the grates as it heats up. I usually get the grill VERY hot and then bring the heat down to temperature. In 30 years of grilling...neither I nor those who ate my food ever got sick...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

do not paint
    Use advise above
    Only exterior parts need painting.

I'm not saying this is true, in fact I find it suspect, but I read a story about a doctor who was in Nicaragua or Honduras during the fighting there, who had people drinking glasses of water with nails rusting in them to provide a source of iron in their diets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but would'nt that be an invitation for lockjaw?
    If it's true, you don't even need to brush the grill off anymore! Bon Apetit' ( sp?)
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

If the parts are in bad shape, check out Home Depot, they have replacement parts for many grills.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I'm not saying this is true, in fact I find it suspect, but I read a story about a doctor who was in Nicaragua or Honduras during the fighting there, who had people drinking glasses of water with nails rusting in them to provide a source of iron in their diets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but would'nt that be an invitation for lockjaw?
    If it's true, you don't even need to brush the grill off anymore! Bon Apetit' ( sp?)
    From Google Health
    Many people believe injuries caused by rusty nails are the most dangerous. This is true only if the nail is dirty as well as rusty, as is usually the case. It is the dirt on the nail, not the rust, that carries the risk for tetanus

I spray mine with olive oil when done...Brush and reapply when using it the next time.....

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

OK, thats what I do anyway. I heat it up VERY hot and clean it with a wire brush, apply vegetable oil, let it cool down to temp, cook, and then it cranked up again for a few minutes before shutting it down. I just noticed a bit of rust on it and was wondering if it was a bad thing. Nothing to worry about? Fine by me. Thanks everyone.

Distinguished Member
    I use wadded up used foil with a tongs or just your hand to clean the grill when it is still hot or warm at least. You can also use this before grilling, just heat it up and then rub the foil on it. You can use this in addition to a grill brush.

Covering the grill can also really help with moisture getting inside.

I agree with other posters that the paint would be worse than the rust. Afterall, it's just extra iron, right?

Cast iron grates cook way better for me than the other metal grate types. So, if your grate is rusting, consider youself lucky. Just get enough of it off of there before cooking to be reasonable.

Replace your grill brush often. You can clean them good off all that embedded goo by running them under hot water, in a shop sink or utility tub.

A good way to clean grill grates is to spray them with ammonia (put into a big plastic tub first). Cover with a garbage bag and let sit for a few hours or overnight. Then hose off. Works better than oven cleaner.

That's my 2 cents. Fun to have a cooking comment here to chat about!!

Eezox no just kidding veg oil works great so does pam spray.
    Last edited by REDTAIL; May 18th, 2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: ADD LINES

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Cereal manufacturers add iron to it. Yes they actually add iron! Iron filings can be found in the cereal. The filings will be rapidly broken down in your stomach. The the iron filings are mixed with the cereal (usually when it is in the wet paste form-before drying), but they are not chemically combined at all.

bosco

Sponsored Links