If You Boycott Arizona, You Lose Your Power!

This is a discussion on If You Boycott Arizona, You Lose Your Power! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well.... is this a good time to bring up that many thousands of prisoners from California are being "housed" in Arizona prisons under a contract ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Boycott Arizona, You Lose Your Power!

Well.... is this a good time to bring up that many thousands of prisoners from California are being "housed" in Arizona prisons under a contract with Arizona. Load them on the bus and return them to California while they are at it too.

I think it is making the California city councils that are doing this, look like fools.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I really don't understand all this cities wanting to boycott Arizona over this, it's B.S. Illegal immigration is a problem everywhere and yet, cities are boycotting and ranting and raving about anyone who wants to do anything about it, even Texas was not saying much about it due to the large hispanic communities saying we already have fought this battle (from what I have read here and there), I was like what??? No we haven't, illegal immigration is as much of a problem here as anywhere. It's all B.S., I say shut them down Arizona and let them deal with the fall out.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

great ideas, send the "housed" criminals back then a week later kill the lights.
    let the matter take care of it self.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

If I were the Arizona utilities official,I would wait until the Lakers were playing the finals in the stadium in L.A. and "accidentally" pull the plug. Ooops, sorry L.A.

Renegotiate the power contracts with California next time they come due. Up their price about 25% and use the money to help enforce the immigration laws in Arizona!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Regardless of the politics or the reason behind this idea, pulling the plug on LA or releasing the contract prisoners has its own downsides to the AZ economy. Both provide revenue and jobs to Arizonans and AZ corps. Either stunt would backfire rather quickly.

At first look it might seem tempting. But, who else is going to buy that much power? What if CA retaliates again and gives those prisoners parole and a one way bus ticket back to AZ?

Too, the next thing you know CA will cut services it provides to AZ. Maybe the power cut would so badly affect the port or LAX that needed goods wouldn't get to AZ?

Do the folks in AZ with a population of around 6 million think they can outlast CA with a population of 36 million in an economic war?

And wouldn't there of necessity have to be a strong Federal response, perhaps unprecedented since Little Rock?

Let's hope cooler heads prevail.

As a proud citizen of the state of Arizona, I strongly support this measure. If they want a total boycott of ALL Arizona businesses, then it should be ALL of them, including power and water.

I see nothing wrong with this. It may be a bit extreme, but then so is the boycott of an ENTIRE state..... Fighting fire with fire...

It's definitely time for LA to stock up on candles and bottled water. They may whine for "depriving" their citizens, but what do they think they are doing to us? Are we supposed to just lay down and do nothing? Or, did they EXPECT us to lay down and do nothing.

But seriously, I really, really like this idea. That guy Pierce has some giant cojones...

EDIT: (I don't like the idea of releasing the prisoners, though. I didn't see that part).
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Regardless of the politics or the reason behind this idea, pulling the plug on LA or releasing the contract prisoners has its own downsides to the AZ economy. Both provide revenue and jobs to Arizonans and AZ corps. Either stunt would backfire rather quickly.

At first look it might seem tempting. But, who else is going to buy that much power? What if CA retaliates again and gives those prisoners parole and a one way bus ticket back to AZ?

Too, the next thing you know CA will cut services it provides to AZ. Maybe the power cut would so badly affect the port or LAX that needed goods wouldn't get to AZ?

Do the folks in AZ with a population of around 6 million think they can outlast CA with a population of 36 million in an economic war?

And wouldn't there of necessity have to be a strong Federal response, perhaps unprecedented since Little Rock?

We need a federal response... That's kind of the point. We know we can't outlast CA, but what else are we supposed to do? Nothing? Just waste away?

SB 1070 is NOT going to go away until the fed does something. CA cities aren't likely to end the boycott before then... We won't last either way...

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

There doesnt have to be a econ war theyre killing them selves. why does the rest of the country follow these liberal idiots? can they not see that they are driving them and a huge chunk of the US economy off the cliff? Its like they have 10 year olds controling their budget. They have taxed themselves to the hilt and still are in the whole. They have zero constaint or common sense.

I spent 14 years in that hell hole and have never been happier to leave somewhere.

Just stand back and let them sink

I love it, lets see how serious they are about the boycott.

I' live in Nevada, but damn i love AZ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Hopyard,

You always have a different point of view...from mine?
    I know that you have a good head on your shoulders, but I am aghast at some or your opinions...I'm just sayin'...

A discussion of world events with you over a few beers could prove to be interesting.

With all due respect, of course...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Electricity is one thing... just wait and see what happens if we divert more of the Colorado River water to Arizona!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    The Arizona utilities commissioner actually can't just turn off the juice- that's up to the power companies themselves, but he can strongly suggest to them that they look at renegotiating contracts.

What Mayo Villaraigosa will probably end up boycotting is official purchases of turquoise bolo ties.
    I'll trade you 10 illegals for 10 kilowatts.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

The Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday voted 13-1 in favor of an economic boycott of Arizona, becoming the largest city yet to boycott the state over its new anti-illegal immigration law.
    The list of $56 million in Arizona-related investments the city could boycott includes airline service into Arizona and the harbor's clean truck incentive program. Officials recommended that the City Council suspend travel to the state, refrain from entering new contracts and review current ones for possible termination.
    Los Angeles officials joined with other cities across the country in calling for an economic boycott of Arizona after lawmakers there passed a tough immigration law that critics say will lead to racial profiling.
    As California officials at the municipal level continue to act, the leader of the state Senate, Darrell Steinberg, is asking Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to take action as well, according to the L.A. Times. He sent a letter to the governor asking for an inventory of Arizona businesses and agencies that do business with California.

The law is already facing court challenges, but if it goes into effect in July as planned, New York City could also consider a boycott. City Controller John Liu today called for a boycott of Arizona-made products if it goes into effect, the New York Daily News reports.
    Are Arizona Boycotts Unconstitutional?

Eugene Volokh, Constitutional Law Professor at UCLA points out :

As the Court said in Hughes v. Alexandria Scrap, “the long recognized right of trader or manufacturer, engaged in entirely private business, freely to exercise his own independent discretion as to parties with whom he will deal” seems to render a state or municipal boycott constitutionally permissible. But it seems that the L.A. boycott may move beyond merely targeting activities where the city is a “market participant” to include “market regulation” as well, insofar as it does not just say it will or won’t deal with specific actors, but rather says the city will refuse to deal with any actor in a given location until that location changes its laws. The city is, in short, using its market power (in combination with other states and municipalities — are there anti-trust implications here as well?) to try to coerce another state to change its laws. Regardless of its merit in this specific case, such a precedent would potentially destroy the very purpose of the commerce clause itself WHICH IS preventing states from undertaking coercive trade practices against each other and thus resulting in trade wars amongst the states. What happens if Arizona enacts a counter-boycott? What happens if more states pass Arizona-style laws and boycotts and counter-boycotts spread throughout the country? Wouldn’t that be the end of the national economy and, in effect, the end of the interstate commerce clause itself?

IANAL But in my opinion the intent of these boycotts is to prevent the free flow of trade with Arizona..

bosco

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links