If You Boycott Arizona, You Lose Your Power!

This is a discussion on If You Boycott Arizona, You Lose Your Power! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They impose sanctions on us (that's what this really is anyways) we counter them. It's the way of the world. Arizonans, especially, aren't going to ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Boycott Arizona, You Lose Your Power!

They impose sanctions on us (that's what this really is anyways) we counter them. It's the way of the world. Arizonans, especially, aren't going to take lightly to this type of "crap." There is a reason Arizona draws civilians from all over the country besides the weather...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

AZ, I got your back in any way I can!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Most long term power contracts are for base load (the demand that exists year round on a nominal day). That's about half of what a utility provides to its consumers. The balance is traded on an exchange in increments from a month down to a day (or hourly in some extreme cases). Since CA gets about 25% of its electrical power from Arizona (and the large majority of that goes to LA), LA could lose say 12-15% of its electrical power going into the summer months when demand is highest countrywide without AZ violating any contracts. That would precipitate rolling blackouts or brownouts in LA. That would cause much more disruption than anything LA could do to AZ, but would precipitate federal action against AZ.

A solution I find much more entertaining (and perfectly legal) is to offer illegals free one way bus tickets from AZ to anyplace that boycotts AZ and the suburbs surrounding Washington DC where the politicians live.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I wish more Conservative states would stand up for Arizona. Let them know they aren't alone.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I can't feel bad for them. They elected their city council - if the council leaves them in the dark, it was their choice.
    I'd cut off the water from the Colorado River as well!!
    In the dark and thirsty!!
    Maybe so, but like a lot of us, they may not have gotten what they voted for. Pols say one thing to get elected, but then once in office, things change. If the voters of LA put the same clowns back in office next election, then you and are are not only on the same page, but the same paragraph and sentence.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Do the folks in AZ with a population of around 6 million think they can outlast CA with a population of 36 million in an economic war?
    I'd say they already have. Commi fornia is almost insolvent. Arizona is not.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member

re: boscobeans

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    quoting wrote:
    As the Court said in Hughes v. Alexandria Scrap, “the long recognized right of trader or manufacturer, engaged in entirely private business, freely to exercise his own independent discretion as to parties with whom he will deal” seems to render a state or municipal boycott constitutionally permissible. But it seems that the L.A. boycott may move beyond merely targeting activities where the city is a “market participant” to include “market regulation” as well, insofar as it does not just say it will or won’t deal with specific actors, but rather says the city will refuse to deal with any actor in a given location until that location changes its laws. The city is, in short, using its market power (in combination with other states and municipalities — are there anti-trust implications here as well?) to try to coerce another state to change its laws. Regardless of its merit in this specific case, such a precedent would potentially destroy the very purpose of the commerce clause itself WHICH IS preventing states from undertaking coercive trade practices against each other and thus resulting in trade wars amongst the states. What happens if Arizona enacts a counter-boycott? What happens if more states pass Arizona-style laws and boycotts and counter-boycotts spread throughout the country? Wouldn’t that be the end of the national economy and, in effect, the end of the interstate commerce clause itself?

IANAL But in my opinion the intent of these boycotts is to prevent the free flow of trade with Arizona..

bosco
    Yes, there are absolutely horrendous implications that cut to the heart of Federalism in BOTH the actions of CA and the actions of AZ.

No good can come from any of it.

Both parties have trampled on the fundamental structure of our country.

The AZ law is feel goody stuff with major constitutional problems and the boycotts are also feel goody stuff with both severe economic and
    constitutional issues associated with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yes, there are absolutely horrendous implications that cut to the heart of Federalism in BOTH the actions of CA and the actions of AZ.

No good can come from any of it.

Both parties have trampled on the fundamental structure of our country.

The AZ law is feel goody stuff with major constitutional problems and the boycotts are also feel goody stuff with both severe economic and
    constitutional issues associated with them.
    what constitutional problems does the AZ law have?
    it makes the Federal laws also state laws.
    in essance saying that if you violate xx federal law you can be charged with a state crime also.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member

re: tbrenke

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    what constitutional problems does the AZ law have?
    it makes the Federal laws also state laws.
    in essance saying that if you violate xx federal law you can be charged with a state crime also.
    Bumper took down another thread in which this was discussed and so I don't want to go there in this open forum. I'm surprised he has even let this thread go as long as it has.

So, just for a quick response that is relevant, there is a 1941 Supreme Court case which seems pertinent, and was a challenge to a similar law passed by PA in the late 1930s.

That is as far as I am going with this thread so as to not offend against the forum rules and Bumper's wishes.

Hopyard,
    Can you site a number or something so I can look it up?
    I would be interested in what it says.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I truly wish EVERY state would follow Arizona's example. Not boycott them, but embrace them.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    Hopyard,
    Can you site a number or something so I can look it up?
    I would be interested in what it says.
    I think it's this one. HINES V. DAVIDOWITZ, 312 U. S. 52 :: Volume 312 :: 1941 :: US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I hope that LA keeps pushing and AZ puts them in the dark
    UH CA has been in the dark for a very long time.......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

California is one big bowl of Granola! Nothing but nuts, fruits and flakes.

They want to boycott Arizona but they aren't holding any cards... How stupid is that?

Arizona should cut off the water, the electricity and bus all of California's prisoners back... All on the same day! Too bad cinco de mayo isn't next month because that would be one hell of a statement.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

California is stupid; but Arizona is even stupider.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links