Just got a handheld ham radio - Page 2

Just got a handheld ham radio

This is a discussion on Just got a handheld ham radio within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by BRTCP88 I've done all that, my mic just keeps cutting out. I don't know what's wrong. I think I'll concentrate on the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got a handheld ham radio

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I've done all that, my mic just keeps cutting out. I don't know what's wrong. I think I'll concentrate on the handheld for now.

Also, I don't hear any static anymore, but I still can't pick up any signals *scratches head*
    Try a different (external) mike, or adjusting the recording properties under settings.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Try a different (external) mike, or adjusting the recording properties under settings.
    Yeah, I did that. Like I said, I prefer the Handheld cause what I got my license for was my CERT duties.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by Zotter View Post
    I should stop now. This is a real rats nest of an issue with very strong feelings and opinions on several sides. One that's even prompted the "sleeping giant" of the FCC to stir from it's slumber and grumble a few words. Amateur Radio is not a fall-back/backup system for the Part 90 services. Never was, never meant to be, should never be considered such. And with that, I'd better shut up and go back to load'n up some .45 rounds. 73!
    I fully understand. But on the other hand, when the big-n-nasty one strikes, you use what you have.
    Just my own personal opinion, but I'll do what I have to to save a life, even if it means breaking precious FCC regulations.
    Hell, we were just glad to be considered for that much training.

Anti-gun billionaires + Low info voters = Passage of Washington I-594

So have you tired the 146.775 - or the 146.550 - they are listed on the ARRL Travel plus program.... they may be easer to hit.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    I fully understand. But on the other hand, when the big-n-nasty one strikes, you use what you have.
    Just my own personal opinion, but I'll do what I have to to save a life, even if it means breaking precious FCC regulations.
    Hell, we were just glad to be considered for that much training.
    Actually, the FCC regulations for amateur radio state that in a matter if life-or-death... anything is allowed. Any frequency, any mode, any power.

It's a Yaesu FT-270. When I turn it on most frequencies I can't hear anything, but some I hear static. Am I out of range?

EDIT: I know there are a couple of people who are hams in my neighborhood so I don't think I'm out of range.
    You've got a nice 2 meter ham rig there, 5 watts output should be plent to hit the local repeaters:
    Yaesu FT-270R Product Reviews

I don't know your location, so you can look for nearby repeaters here:
    Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

The OEM here is not the most organized I have worked with. But they are making progress. Six months ago they were talking up the use of FRS/GMRS by the teams but someone pointed out the license issue with full powered GMRS ( my license expires next month if I don't send the FCC a check) But the EMROG did not have GMRS gear! Their net is on 2m and I am pleased to say (I just learned this week) they now have a 70cm repeater as well. While it is not optimal I can use my Motorola for both GMRS and 70cm. What kind of irks me is the attitude some folks had when there was discussion about them getting some GMRS gear. Worse than caliber wars!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I'm looking to get my Technician Class License but I'm not able to make it to the training classes. What online study or booklet would you recommend? I took a practice test and started doing pretty well until it got a little more technical.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

It's a Yaesu FT-270. When I turn it on most frequencies I can't hear anything, but some I hear static. Am I out of range?
    Hey I recently added a 270 to my arsenal, I'll have to check the date on my receipt and a calendar looks like I got it about the same time you posted.

Here's some repeater listings for your area....
    Repeater Listings from the FRC Database

Also may want to check out radio reference and see if you can find a public safety frequency and plug it in in VFO mode and see if you hear anything to rule out the very rare possibility that you got a dud.

I can Rx from about 30-40mi away, Tx isn't quite so hot. But a ton varies on the quality the repeater and what you're using for an antenna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    I'm looking to get my Technician Class License but I'm not able to make it to the training classes. What online study or booklet would you recommend? I took a practice test and started doing pretty well until it got a little more technical.
    W5YI is all the questions, then answers explained, ARRL is high school text book format, and review questions as you learn concepts, both are valuable resources. If the car cooperates I'll be testing for my upgrade to General/Extra tomorrow.

All the CERT talk is interesting, never went the CERT route, but I'm finishing up a degree in Emergency Management, on top of some additional professional certifications. All very like minded.

Glock Certified Armorer

Hey guys, I finally played with my radio some more and got it so I could hear people talking, but it doesn't seem like they can hear me. Anyone have any more advice?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

You could still be out of range. One of the repeaters in Houston sounds great but I cant hit it with my radio from my home. Also you may need to find out what tone code they are using and if you are transmitting with the correct offset for the repeaters.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Hey guys, I finally played with my radio some more and got it so I could hear people talking, but it doesn't seem like they can hear me. Anyone have any more advice?
    Yep go rig up a better antenna, that rubber duck is very inefficient on transmit, quick and dirty go buy a 5/8 wave mag mount and put it on top of the fridge, more involved but cheaper, look up the home made J pole, just rig a adapter for you HT and you will be good to go....

Ok, the best thing for you to do, (because repeaters are all different) is to get an ARRL repeater directory. They're well worth it especially if you travel, you can look up local repeaters settings as you pass through. You will want to get very familiar with the legend in the book as some repeaters are closed to public use etc.. You are going to have to know the + or - offset and PL. (CTCSS Tones that are input subaudible tones that "wake up" the repeater) unless you are just trying to talk simplex to another handheld in which you will still want to know the freqs. for practiced simplex operation. It sounds like you're trying to wake up a repeater and it isn't listening. You will need to know this information and how to program it into your HT or you will be lost.

73, and good luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    Roman623, go to QRZ.COM Callsign Database and toward the top of the page, on the far right, there's a link there for practice tests. Good luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Ok, the best thing for you to do, (because repeaters are all different) is to get an ARRL repeater directory. They're well worth it especially if you travel, you can look up local repeaters settings as you pass through. You will want to get very familiar with the legend in the book as some repeaters are closed to public use etc.. You are going to have to know the + or - offset and PL. (CTCSS Tones that are input subaudible tones that "wake up" the repeater) unless you are just trying to talk simplex to another handheld in which you will still want to know the freqs. for practiced simplex operation. It sounds like you're trying to wake up a repeater and it isn't listening. You will need to know this information and how to program it into your HT or you will be lost.

73, and good luck!
    What repeater are you trying to hit. let us know and we can advice on the tone as mprp pointed out.

One easy way to tell if it is a tone issue is to ride the tail of another transmission. If they can hear you before the repeater drops then it is a tone issue. Not the best etiquette but a good test.

If you are interested in emergency operations check out ARES.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links