Just got a handheld ham radio

This is a discussion on Just got a handheld ham radio within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's a Yaesu FT-270. When I turn it on most frequencies I can't hear anything, but some I hear static. Am I out of range? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a handheld ham radio

It's a Yaesu FT-270. When I turn it on most frequencies I can't hear anything, but some I hear static. Am I out of range?

EDIT: I know there are a couple of people who are hams in my neighborhood so I don't think I'm out of range.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

You need to crank back the squelch if you hearing noise, this is FM and should be quiet unless someone is talking.

but you need to look up the local repeater (duplex operation AKA receive on one frequency n they transmit on a different one) frequency's, PM me your location and I will look them up, n post here.

but for now try a few of the calling frequency's, 146.52 146.55 146.58 147.52 147.55 and 147.58 with 6.52 being the best bet for simplex operation.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    You need to crank back the squelch if you hearing noise, this is FM and should be quiet unless someone is talking.

but you need to look up the local repeater (duplex operation AKA receive on one frequency n they transmit on a different one) frequency's, PM me your location and I will look them up, n post here.

but for now try a few of the calling frequency's, 146.52 146.55 146.58 147.52 147.55 and 147.58 with 6.52 being the best bet for simplex operation.
    I'm in Crystal River FL
    Ron Paul 2012

146.925- is the local repeater. Just make sure that you do not transmit if not licensed to for the band.

If not licensed, study and find out where and when to take the no-code exam and get your license.

Research the internet and you can find out where and when the tests are given. They don't cost much to take.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    146.925- is the local repeater. Just make sure that you do not transmit if not licensed to for the band.

If not licensed, study and find out where and when to take the no-code exam and get your license.

Research the internet and you can find out where and when the tests are given. They don't cost much to take.
    I got my tech license last year when I volunteered for the local CERT team. I only just got a radio though, so I have forgotten some of the stuff that was covered in the class. Was trying to get Echolink set up on my computer but it kept giving me trouble so I finally gave up.
    Ron Paul 2012

OK your licensed, good for you !

Glad you mentioned being licensed, as the Ham Radio Fraternity is known for policing our selfs. And I was getting geared up for some real good questions for you.
    most of the posters already gave you a good hint, I'm assuming you got a 2 Meter handheld. Hit the internet for ham radio clubs and you should be able to find out about the local repeaters. And then learn about phone patches, although outmoded now days due to cell phones being everywhere you look, they are kind of fun and could be used for an emergency when you cell phone won't do the job.

BTW, My call sign is WA6ABW, transplanted from California so many years ago, I like the call so don't ever want to change it, your in 4 land, so what's your call sign. And welcome to the other fraternity.

Oh have fun with your radios, I also have lots of scanners, be forwarned, some LEO's don't like scanners or portable radios because they one, don't know anything about them and or may think your a Cop wannabee !.. Or Police inpersonator, this could be bad or painful to you.
    PM for details if you want.

73's

Duane
    Last edited by dcody40; May 20th, 2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: additional info only

How do you like that Yaesu?
    My Technician came through three days ago. Right now All I have is some Motorola MT-1000's I originally got for GMRS. I can hit my local 70cm easy enough but the EMROG is on 2m. I have been looking for similar Motorolas in the right band split but not having much luck.
    I got my ticket also after CERT class. Unfortunately our OEM has not been able to put any teams together in my area yet. So until I can get some people to work with it looks like I will pretty much be limited to superficial damage assessments. With the hurricane season starting up in less than two weeks I need to get squared away.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by dcody40 View Post
    Glad you mentioned being licensed, as the Ham Radio Fraternity is known for policing our selfs. And I was getting geared up for some real good questions for you.
    most of the posters already gave you a good hint, I'm assuming you got a 2 Meter handheld. Hit the internet for ham radio clubs and you should be able to find out about the local repeaters. And then learn about phone patches, although outmoded now days due to cell phones being everywhere you look, they are kind of fun and could be used for an emergency when you cell phone won't do the job.

BTW, My call sign is WA6ABW, transplanted from California so many years ago, I like the call so don't ever want to change it, your in 4 land, so what's your call sign. And welcome to the other fraternity.

Oh have fun with your radios, I also have lots of scanners, be forwarned, some LEO's don't like scanners or portable radios because they one, don't know anything about them and or may think your a Cop wannabee !.. Or Police inpersonator, this could be bad or painful to you.
    PM for details if you want.

73's

Duane
    Yep, I think it's 2 meters. Like I said I've kinda forgotten somethings, lol. My instructor was from CA too!

I joined the ham club just last month. My Call is KJ4ODL.
    Last edited by BRTCP88; May 20th, 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add my call
    Ron Paul 2012

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I got my tech license last year when I volunteered for the local CERT team. I only just got a radio though, so I have forgotten some of the stuff that was covered in the class. Was trying to get Echolink set up on my computer but it kept giving me trouble so I finally gave up.
    Don't give up it is way worth it, once you get authorized by them just download the software, and follow the directions, its a snap and feel free to check in on their repeater and ask for help.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Yup, FT-270 is pretty nice 2m HT. Hit the interwebs, search out local repeaters - as has been mentioned - find the web sites with info on local nets and times. Check in, say hi! You'll find a wide variety of 'folks' out there. Most are very helpful and there'll be a metric truck load of information to glean.

And with what some may consider a 'contentious' note - though not meant that way (don't you hate it when past 'discussions' color new ones?) - I'll just add I hope you got your tickets for more than just CERT. There's a LOT out there to enjoy! Dive in and have a blast.

Headed back to my PSK station (it sits right next to my RCBS Pro2000) - South America is coming in nicely on 20m.

"You see, wire telegraphy is a kind of a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates exactly the same way, except there is no cat."
    -- Attributed to Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Got my Tech license as part of our CERT leadership program.
    We decided all the local CERT leaders needed to hold at least a Tech license. We gathered weekly for study groups and we all passed the test.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Our county CERT teams use county issued 800Mhz APCO-25 radios that tie directly into the county wide trunking Public Safety system. Their ability easily exceeds common VHF Part 97 gear. Not to mention all the privacy issues are dealt with.

Part 90 radios for Part 90 work.

What's with all the CERT emphasis on Amateur Radio? Why not use Part 90 gear? Is CERT paying for Amateur Repeaters these days? Where do I sign up for such a grant? Installing, maintaining and operating an amateur repeater isn't cheap - if CERT is going to load up the channels with their traffic, what are they doing to support the infrastructure? Not to mention, there's no 'exclusivity' to repeater use.
    "You see, wire telegraphy is a kind of a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates exactly the same way, except there is no cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Don't give up it is way worth it, once you get authorized by them just download the software, and follow the directions, its a snap and feel free to check in on their repeater and ask for help.
    I've done all that, my mic just keeps cutting out. I don't know what's wrong. I think I'll concentrate on the handheld for now.

Also, I don't hear any static anymore, but I still can't pick up any signals *scratches head*
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Zotter View Post
    Our county CERT teams use county issued 800Mhz APCO-25 radios that tie directly into the county wide trunking Public Safety system. Their ability easily exceeds common VHF Part 97 gear. Not to mention all the privacy issues are dealt with.

Part 90 radios for Part 90 work.

What's with all the CERT emphasis on Amateur Radio? Why not use Part 90 gear? Is CERT paying for Amateur Repeaters these days? Where do I sign up for such a grant? Installing, maintaining and operating an amateur repeater isn't cheap - if CERT is going to load up the channels with their traffic, what are they doing to support the infrastructure? Not to mention, there's no 'exclusivity' to repeater use.
    Our CERT leadership council (which has since been forcibly disbanded by the county - THAT is a long story, to be related at another time) wanted to be able to back-up our RACES people during emergencies. CERT isn't doing any outfitting, but rather encouraging members to expand their training in areas that augment the preparedness/response profiles.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I should stop now. This is a real rats nest of an issue with very strong feelings and opinions on several sides. One that's even prompted the "sleeping giant" of the FCC to stir from it's slumber and grumble a few words. Amateur Radio is not a fall-back/backup system for the Part 90 services. Never was, never meant to be, should never be considered such. And with that, I'd better shut up and go back to load'n up some .45 rounds. 73!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links