Fired today!

Fired today!

This is a discussion on Fired today! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I got fired today. How about that? I got myself a new job in Indianapolis Indiana. This is great because I was born and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fired today!

Fired today!

Well, I got fired today. How about that?

I got myself a new job in Indianapolis Indiana. This is great because I was born and raised in Indiana. We are moving home. We will have family all around. It's going to be really great.

So, trying to do the right thing at work, yesterday I go to my supervisor and give him a nice 2 week notice letter. That is the polite thing to do right?

Today (Thursday May 20th) I get called into the office where my boss hands me termination papers and tells me that since I obviously don't want to be there they don't want me.

Now, this was not a complete surprise to me. In fact, I was kind of expecting this or something like it. This place, is not a great place to work. In fact, of the numerous TV stations I have worked at, this one is by far the worst. It is managed poorly by a guy who is a micro-manager and who tries to do things as cheaply as possible. And I do not mean inexpensively, I mean cheap. My boss, the Chief Engineer, is also cheap and has no people skills at all. I will cite the example of when one of our twins broke his arm. He was 6 years old at the time. He broke his arm badly before school. So I take him to the hospital and when they wheel him back to put pins in his arm and set it and cast it, while waiting for my wife to get there from her job, I call my boss and tell him I won't be in that day and why. His response? And I quote, "Can't you just drop him off and come in to work?"
    I had to explain to the pin head that no, I was not simply dropping a 6 year old off at the hospital in down town Memphis Tennessee to have his arm fixed and then coming to work. Good God.

Anyway, I was told to turn in my keys and company ID, gather my stuff and leave immediately. So I did. No big deal I guess. I did explain to him that he was number 1, though when I used the hand gesture to convey this message I believe I may have used the wrong finger judging from his reaction to it.

So I went home and called the new job in Indy. I told them what happened and asked if they might want me to start sooner than the June 8th start date we had agreed upon. They got back to me less than 5 minutes later and my new start date is now May 26th. Next Wednesday. How's that for a cool place to work?

So I am leaving Memphis behind Monday morning bright and early. Here we go on yet another new chapter in life. I'm looking forward to it!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

great for you. there loss.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Congrats, I have had a few bosses like that and I am happy to say they all went out of business shortly after I left. I even had a few customers like that when I was in the classic car restoration business. They couldn't figure why I had to take time off from finishing their car because my dad had died out of state. Some people have no sense and they think the world revolves around them. I'm glade you have a new and sounds like better gig. Good Luck!!!

I am a firm believer in "things happen for a reason."

Now you have to change your name to "IN_Mike"

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    I am a firm believer in "things happen for a reason."

Now you have to change your name to "IN_Mike"
    Working on the name change Kustom. And I too believe in the things happen for a reason theory. I had a job offer from a station in Atlanta 2 months ago that I was going to take but the deal fell apart on me. Less than 2 weeks later, the job in Indy came open. Believe me, I'd rather go home to Indiana than to Atlanta any day! It was meant to be.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Since you already gave notice and they decided not to allow you to work out your notice, I wonder if they have to pay you your 2 weeks. I've seen that happen before to a buddy of mine. His company paid him his 2 weeks but didn't have to work it.

congrats on the job and GOOD LUCK! Ive had a boss like that before, same thing happend. HAnded in my 2 weeks, next day they handed me a termination letter...
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I am contacting a labor lawyer tomorrow to ask that very question.

But, the way they worded it on the termination papers stated that they were simply accepting my resignation effecting today instead of on June 2nd. So they may have legally covered their butt.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Best wishes on this new chapter in your life.

I'm not current on IN CCW laws, but I have carried there before, so I know it's available. I hope the CCW laws there are also reasonable.

Sounds like they(your old company) did you a favor.
    Sounds like they(your new company) did you a favor.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sounds like you're leaving behind a really ratty manager, there. Have known a few idiots myself.

Success and prosperity, in the new digs.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Every place I have ever worked that did not allow employees to work a notice paid the employee for the 2 week notice and sent them home that day. Never heard of anyone just firing them when they turned in the notice.. That guy is a real hole Mike.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Good to see you happy Mike! Don't forget, get yourself a lifetime CCW permit once you're established!

Hate to see you leave Tennessee behind, but from everything I've learned from you from here and FB, it's definitely for the best. Good luck with the new job man, and we'll have to hit a range next time I'm in Indy!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Lead Moderator
    Good to see that things worked out even if the old job was crappy.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    It amazes me how immature that adults (your former manager) can be.

Many times I've seen a highly-respected member of the workforce go from hero to zero on the day they resign. Management would then talk trash about their former super-star after they left, and then wonder why everyone started brushing up their resume and moving on. Some never learn that just because they're the boss, it doesn't mean that they're any smarter, nor necessarily respected by their employees. Respect always must be earned. Thank you for your contribution to cleaning up the corporate gene pool .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links