Suicide At My Range

Suicide At My Range

This is a discussion on Suicide At My Range within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sadly, this seems to be happening more and more. I would guess they will stop people from renting guns from the rental case if they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicide At My Range

Suicide At My Range

Sadly, this seems to be happening more and more. I would guess they will stop people from renting guns from the rental case if they come alone or don't already own a gun.

Limatunes used to work here, BTW and was key in helping me get started in shooting and CCW a few years back

Police: Man killed himself at East Pikeland shooting range

Monday, May 24, 2010

By Dennis J. Wright, dwright@pottsmerc.com

EAST PIKELAND — A 50-year-old Chesterbrook man shot and killed himself in the shooting range of French Creek Outfitters, 270 Schuylkill Road, Sunday afternoon, police said.

Police Chief Jim Franciscus said that the 50-year-old victim, whose name is being withheld until notification of next of kin, entered French Creek Outfitters around 12:30 p.m.

“He rented a Smith & Wesson .357 gun with a four-inch barrel Model 686,” Franciscus said. “He also purchased a box of ammunition. He filled out the necessary information and left his driver’s license.”

Witnesses told police that the victim was in the gun range at the same time other individuals were in the range shooting.

Franciscus said that a short time later, one of the individuals began to bang on the window to get the range officer’s attention.

“The range officer went into the range area and saw the individual lying in a pool of blood,” he said. “He called 911 and ordered all of the other range occupants to exit the area.”

Police arrived on the scene around 12:36 p.m., Franciscus said, and found the victim inside the shooting range in front of Lane 9.

"The victim was identified by the photo on his driver's license. We recovered the silver revolver and it was covered in blood," he said.

Police secured the entire scene and began their investigation by conducting interviews and contacting Chester County Detectives.

Management at French Creek Outfitters would not answer any questions Monday, including whether the store closed for the rest of the day following the incident.
    Link
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    Happened here not too long ago.

Sad, a permanent end to a temporary problem!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sad and crazy.. I find it amazing that he checked the gun out at 12:30 and six minutes later he was dead with the police standing over him. Unfortunately, it shows that even a very quick response time is not enough sometimes. You have to take care of yourself and loved ones in this world.
    After re-reading the OP, I see that he ARRIVED at 12:30, so we're only talking about a minute or two between when he must have shot himself and the police arrived!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Odd that he is called a victim. Is this the correct and/or socially acceptable terminology for someone who commits suicide?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

In the medias mind, the guy is the victim and the gun is the badguy.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Perp+victim=Pervick
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Wow, I'm actually trying to sell a 686 with a 4 inch barrel right now.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Odd that he is called a victim. Is this the correct and/or socially acceptable terminology for someone who commits suicide?
    In the obituaries, they often say john Doe died suddenly Sunday afternoon, when referring to suicides.

I guess he was the "victim" of a suicide.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Seems kind of rude to me. If you want to check out, I guess that's your right. But why involve a bunch of other people? It would be like killing yourself by stepping in front of my car: Thanks loads for letting me be a part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Well yes, that's the correct term. A homicide is the killing of a human being. The human that was killed is the victim since they are the recipient of the act. In a suicide (self killing), the actor is also the victim since they are the human that has been killed. The term is used correctly in the context. You may not agree with it, but it is what it is.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Well yes, that's the correct term. A homicide is the killing of a human being. The human that was killed is the victim since they are the recipient of the act. In a suicide (self killing), the actor is also the victim since they are the human that has been killed. The term is used correctly in the context. You may not agree with it, but it is what it is.
    uh, if you continue that line of reasoning, then the 911 suicide attackers were VICTIMS??

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    uh, if you continue that line of reasoning, then the 911 suicide attackers were VICTIMS??
    Great point...a victim, in my mind, has no choice in their involvement in the act...

Committ suicide...you have total choice...you can't be a victim...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    It happpened here on May 17th, too bad people feel they have no other way out. Also too bad they involve so many others in their personal decision.

Here's a link to the story.

ksl.com - Gun range staff struggling with 3 recent suicides
    Gun range staff struggling with 3 recent suicides
    May 18th, 2010 @ 9:30pm
    By Sarah Dallof
    MURRAY -- A trio of disturbing self-inflicted gunshots at a Utah gun range is bringing attention to a federal gun law. All three people rented a gun at the range then turned it on themselves.

It's an interesting law: Buy a gun from a store and you'll need to pass a background check; try one out, all you need to do is show ID. But that may not have prevented these shootings.

The staff at Get Some Guns and Ammo is struggling with the self-inflicted shooting of one their customers Monday night. It's the third time it's happened in six months.

"They seemed like normal people, very down to earth, very poised," says range owner Stuart Wallin.

In each case, the people showed ID, filled out a waiver to enter the range, then shot themselves with the very gun they checked out.

"I don't wish this on any of my competitors," Wallin says.

It's horrifying, but it's not the first time. It's happened at gun stores around the country. Two weeks ago, a Florida mother killed her adult son, then herself at a gun range.

So what does the law say? According to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, background checks are only required when one is purchasing a gun. Stores don't do them, nor are they required to, when someone is renting one at a range.

Get Some Guns and Ammo has people fill out a waiver, asking if the renter is legally allowed to have a gun, is on drugs or alcohol or is suicidal. Owners decided to do this story, saying they know they'll face criticism from some but wanting to tackle the subject of suicide head on.

"We feel for their families and their friends. Suicide solves nothing," Wallin says.

The shooting range has also adopted a new policy. Anyone who comes in alone -- like all three victims did -- is required to provide the phone number of a friend, parent or spouse.

"We're going to call them and say, 'Is "John" in a good state to be shooting guns?'" Wallin says.

Wallin said had the victims bought the guns, thus prompting background checks -- two of the three would have passed.

E-mail: sdallof@ksl.com
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 27th, 2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add article and correct date
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Yes, they were victims of suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Great point...a victim, in my mind, has no choice in their involvement in the act...

Committ suicide...you have total choice...you can't be a victim...
    According to the dictionary, one definition of "victim" is such:

4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking:

It's the English language. Learn its proper use.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links