Plasma or LCD??

This is a discussion on Plasma or LCD?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not talking about rifles.... Does anyone have advice on which is better--LCD or Plasma...I could go either way. Definitely looking for High Definition....thoughts?? Family ...

View Poll Results: Which TV should I get? LCD or Plasma?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • LCD

51 86.44%
  • Plasma

8 13.56%
  • Soccer? You mean (American) Football, right?

1 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plasma or LCD??

Plasma or LCD??

I'm not talking about rifles....

Does anyone have advice on which is better--LCD or Plasma...I could go either way.

Definitely looking for High Definition....thoughts??

Family will arrive in two weeks...and I am tasked with making sure the house is set up for World Cup Soccer.

ETA--this is a multiple choice vote...just so you can give me a hard time about the World Cup....
    Last edited by SIGguy229; May 25th, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

LCDs are not as heavy as plasma and less prone to burn-in. They also use less energy. I have an LCD television. Where I work, in the tv studio, we also have a large LCD on one set and a large plasma screen on another. We would run cable into the studio and hook it up to the LCD and watch Battlestar Galactica when it was in its final season.

Also, plasma screens are glossy where LCD screens are more of a matte finish. LCD screens will reflect room light sources less. Viewing angle used to be an issue with LCDs but I don't think it's as much now.

Plasma screens probably beat LCDs as far as contrast levels and realistic colors. I can't see that much of a difference, though.

Distinguished Member
    Plasma if you are looking for the cinematic experience and you can darken the room, they will wash out more with bright light.

LCD in rooms with a lot of natural light where their overly vivid colors will shine through.

LCD is getting better and better. The new LEDs are awesome. I just bought a new TV a couple months ago. Spend the small amount extra and get a 240Hz refresh rate. Makes a real difference. This is what I got.

Amazon.com: LG 42LH55 42-Inch 1080p 240Hz LCD HDTV, Gloss Black: Electronics

Go here for your cables for HD.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have an LCD now, most of my family and friends have LCD's and they all work wonderfully.

I have also actually personally SEEN the burn in on a plasma. Granted it was an older model that we heavily used, but ...it burned in none the less. Supposedly the newer models got better, but I just don't see the point. LCD's are cheaper, not as hot(man that plasma could double as a home heating device), and uses less power.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I have also actually personally SEEN the burn in on a plasma. Granted it was an older model that we heavily used, but ...it burned in none the less. Supposedly the newer models got better, but I just don't see the point. LCD's are cheaper, not as hot(man that plasma could double as a home heating device), and uses less power.
    I've had my plasma 5 years, no burn in and it doesn't get any hotter than the old CRT it replaced. Burn in really isn't an issue on modern quality sets.

I've had a plasma for 3 years and have never experienced burn in. If I'm playing video games or watching ESPN for a long time, the image may ghost but it eventually goes away.

I personally don't like the image that LCDs put out. It just doesn't look right to me.

VIP Member
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Really depends on the size, each have their own pluses and minuses. I suggest Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! for your cables or monoprice.
    Guns are meant to be shot Harley, not thrown!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range....
    ...and in less than 10 posts! Thanks OPFOR!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ...and in less than 10 posts! Thanks OPFOR!
    I was surprised it took 8... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Actually what you would like to look into is the new "LED" screens it's the next generation of TVs. Samsung is at the top of the TV game with the new 3D LED TV's, .9" thick weighs nearly nothing, and has an amazing 8,000,000/1 Contrast Ratio, running at 240hz. Beats everything out there by far.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I've had my plasma 5 years, no burn in and it doesn't get any hotter than the old CRT it replaced. Burn in really isn't an issue on modern quality sets.
    I stand corrected. But in my defense I did specify mine was older.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I know you just got to Ger, but if you plan on keeping the TV when you move I believe the movers are really against moving plasma. I think it is because they are more delicate and of course if it gets broke they have to pay. That was the deciding factor when I bought my new TV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links