Took my customer to the range and things got bloody!

This is a discussion on Took my customer to the range and things got bloody! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a customer that has bugging me to take him to the gun range. His wife hates guns but he is still interested, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took my customer to the range and things got bloody!

Took my customer to the range and things got bloody!

I have a customer that has bugging me to take him to the gun range. His wife hates guns but he is still interested, so I took him on Sunday.

We started out with the 4 rules and I explained how a semi auto operated. All the while he was saying "I know, I know, I know".

After I felt comfortable with him I let his start by shooting my Super Red Hawk .44 with some light loads, and things went well. He didnt sweep anyone and had pretty good muzzle control.

Then we started shooting my M&P 40. I watched him threw the first 2 mags, and helped him correct his stance and grip and everything looked ok. I told him that I was going to walk back to the truck to grab a few targets and to wait for me. Just as i get back to the truck I hear him shoot 2 rounds then then scream. I honestly thought he shot himself. I hauled butt back to him and saw blood dripping on the ground and my heart sank. I asked him what happened and he kept saying that he didn't know but was holding his hand. He then said he thought the gun blew up. After he calmed down i finally got him to show me his hand and low and behold he got bit by the slide. HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET BIT BY A M&P? There is a huge beaver tail back there!

Anyway, his wife has no banned him from hanging out with the redneck (that being me) and no more guns. He has no hard feeling thank god, he buys over a million dollars worth of product from me every year.

I guess the moral of the story is don't turn your back when you have a new person with guns. I did ask him to wait and he didn't listen, but I still see him as my responsibility. I guess i should have cleared the guns before I left but he is a 45 year old man. Was I expecting too much?

2. Remove Ads

Did you ever find out how he managed to get in the way of the slide?
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Wow.....great question....how do you get bit by an M&P?

I treat new shooters pretty equally. In your case, I probably would have called a break to go back to the truck to get something to drink (i.e. not leaving a new person unattended with MY gun and ammo readily available).

You are right....at the range...he is your responsibility.

Inquiring minds want to know....how'd he do it?

ETA: Sorry for the double-tap earlier...tried to edit...then network went down due to lightning storms....
    Last edited by SIGguy229; May 26th, 2010 at 02:14 AM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

locking thumb over back of hand like when he was shooting the revolver will get an OWIE from an autoloader everytime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

His fault for not listening and following instructions. His fault for marrying a woman that revoked his mancard and placed his manhood in her purse.

Don't give up on him... just remind him that stupid hurts the next time you go shooting with him. (he'll be on a business trip "out of town for the day")
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    locking thumb over back of hand like when he was shooting the revolver will get an OWIE from an autoloader everytime

You're probably right. He used the same hand hold for both guns. He'll only do that once.

I asked him today at work and he said that he was trying to brace his wrist and placed his left had over his right. My best guess is that he was trying to hold the gun down when it recoiled. I tried it and i cant believe that he did that. After looking at his hand it cut him up pretty good. The knuckle on his left hand thumb looks like it went almost to the bone, it tore all the skin off. I know there's not much skin there but it looks painful as heck. Ill try to get a picture. I'm still just dumbfounded how he did that.

Well, he probably did it like I did. It's difficult but it can be done even with a beavertail. The secret is to take your weak hand and overlay it on the strong hand really high toward the non-pointy end of the gun. Next take a deep breath, then pull the trigger, scream real loud and call for a medic! It helps if there's lots of blood to wave around as if your hand were amputated.

Well, I don't know about the the last part, but I end up bleeding at the range more often than not. It was only once with the overlap thing. Last time it was a weak hand finger too high above the trigger guard and the slide caught me. Range bag now includes supply of bandaids and adhesive tape.

I learned to shoot when a young boy. I was taught to stand up straight turned sideways so my shoulders pointed in a straight line from left past neck to right to target. My left hand was on my hip, my right arm extended straight out and squeeze off a round. I suspect I had everything except the wide brimmed hat the "rangers" wore in those days. I even qualified for CCW last year with that stance, having not fired a gun in decades and put them all in center mass at 7 yards (my CCW instructor was quite impressed).

Now I shoot more like Joe Frazer boxed compared to "The Great One". It's not pretty but it might get the job done if someone is shooting back.

I have had two friends do the same thing. One with a 92FS and one with an LCP. I always add that to my introductory spiel, now.

don't laugh. when I rented a glock 19 a few weeks ago I accidentally moved my left hand too close to the slide :(..... nicked my thumb.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

This is common with semi-auto pistols. Watching the folks at my wife's CCW class at the shooting range, one of the guys did it with a S&W 9mm. He got his thumb too close and "WHAM" it bit him good.

I was standing way back with the shooter before my wife and we were both watching this dude. The Instructor was on the other side of this guy, the shooter was left-handed and the Instructor didn't see the thumb carressing the slide ever so slightly. Me and the other observer started to say something, but it was too late. Pulled the first round and he was dripping blood, and we laughed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sorry Back40, you left a new shooter unattended with a loaded gun, that's no good.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Sorry Back40, you left a new shooter unattended with a loaded gun, that's no good.
    your right,

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Well, he probably did it like I did. It's difficult but it can be done even with a beavertail. The secret is to take your weak hand and overlay it on the strong hand really high toward the non-pointy end of the gun. Next take a deep breath, then pull the trigger, scream real loud and call for a medic! It helps if there's lots of blood to wave around as if your hand were amputated.

Well, I don't know about the the last part, but I end up bleeding at the range more often than not. It was only once with the overlap thing. Last time it was a weak hand finger too high above the trigger guard and the slide caught me. Range bag now includes supply of bandaids and adhesive tape.
    That's hilarious! And good advice, thanks!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Winner!

I have a buddy that I shoot with--he is a revolver guy and whenever he picks up a semi-auto, he habitually puts his weak thumb across the back of the gun. Last time we shot, I barely stopped him from getting a nice slide-bite.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links