So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy.. - Page 2

So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy..

This is a discussion on So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Its the freaking census... Some of you guys are extremely paranoid...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Its the freaking census... Some of you guys are extremely paranoid

Ok you think so, my friend is a manager for the census. He has over 150 enumerators. His turnover rate is about 20%emery two weeks. That's because of the crack heads that they employ. Dint get me wrong there are some eay good people filling these jobs as well, but which one is knocking on your door? He has had to fire 2 in his group after they found out that they were level 2 sex offenders. Are we really all that paranoid or do you just have your head in the sand?

I enjoy dodging the census.

The one who visited my home was lucky my wife talked with her instead of me. I was already ticked off at the census because:

1 They did not send us a form.
    2 When we called to request a form, they said it was too early, call back at a later date.
    3 When we finally got through at the later date, They sent the form, which we filled out(answering all questions) and sent it back to them.
    4 When my wife told the worker that we had sent in the form, she was told it was received too late to be counted.

I'd have told her I'd already answered the questions and I wasn't answering any more.

And, yes, we live in a very rural area because we value our privacy. I wish I'd been out at my home range shooting my .223 Saiga or 1911 pistol when she drove up.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    The one who visited my home was lucky my wife talked with her instead of me. I was already ticked off at the census because:

1 They did not send us a form.
    2 When we called to request a form, they said it was too early, call back at a later date.
    3 When we finally got through at the later date, They sent the form, which we filled out(answering all questions) and sent it back to them.
    4 When my wife told the worker that we had sent in the form, she was told it was received too late to be counted.

I'd have told her I'd already answered the questions and I wasn't answering any more.

And, yes, we live in a very rural area because we value our privacy. I wish I'd been out at my home range shooting my .223 Saiga or 1911 pistol when she drove up.
    Thats what I was thinking, Next time im going out on my back deck with the shirt off with my Ar15 and let lose on my forty round clip.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    What makes you think he was a liberal? After all, he had a job.

:)
    Hey now!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

The census people that came to my neighborhood were very nice and polite.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

My beef with the census is that is goes beyond the simple "enumeration" required by the Constitution. I'm happy to provide information about how many people live at my address and whether it is a single- or multiple-unit dwelling (obvious by observation in my case), but they don't need my name, phone number or birth date to fulfill the "enumeration" info needed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    The census people that came to my neighborhood were very nice and polite.
    Same here, but I still sent them away - all 3 times they showed up.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My beef with the census is that is goes beyond the simple "enumeration" required by the Constitution. I'm happy to provide information about how many people live at my address and whether it is a single- or multiple-unit dwelling (obvious by observation in my case), but they don't need my name, phone number or birth date to fulfill the "enumeration" info needed.
    +1 Although I do somewhat understand the birth date question, helps determine the age demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm wondering if questionaires are different in different areas. I've heard people mention questions that weren't on ours. IN ours, it was very simple.... name, race, age, address.
    Are those the only questions you had, or the only questions you answered?
    Ours had about 12 questions asked......of course I did not answer them all.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My beef with the census is that is goes beyond the simple "enumeration" required by the Constitution. ...
    I agree!

I've only had the short form for the last few census. However, I did get caught up in the longer form "sample" once.

Don't remember all the questions now, however they went way too far beyond the simple "enumeration" required by the Constitution.

Too many "officials" think that they "need to know" far more than they need to know.

IMHO, the census should not be about every detail of my home, e.g., from number of bathrooms to how I heat it.

Ditto, no need to know all the personal information about each individual.

Secondly, they have to know in their hearts-of-hearts that they are getting feed a fair amount of misinformation. Misinformation in areas that only a nanny state might want (i.e., only "wanted" if a government is into micro-managing its "subjects"). Misinformation in areas where GIGO [garbage in: garbage out] will result in worst miss-micro-management of the nanny sort.

Luckily, I have yet to see (or hear of) any questions on gun ownership.
    Last edited by DaveH; May 26th, 2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It's About Census Worker Arrogance

This isn't really about the Census per se, but about the arrogance of workers. They feel "muy importante" with their job and allow it to go to their heads as if they have some real power. It's a job, not an adventure.

On the other hand, I'm a field worker for a County Elected Official and we constantly are confused with Census workers so I can understand it from the "other' side of the coin. Many of the folks I deal with are getting a tad annoyed at the workers, their attitude and the intrusion into their lives.

Census workers need to use a bit more common sense when dealing with the public. Just do your job and quit thinking you are something you are not.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Never got a form in the mail, haven't had anyone show up (yet). Maybe I don't exist, or they just plain forgot about me. Now if I can get the bill collectors to forget about me.

Andy
    shhhhh, librarian packing

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I'm by no means a liberal, but I applied to be a census taker. I was laid off this spring, and needed the work...

Please don't generalize.
    Hey, it was a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, no need to be upset over it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links