So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy..

This is a discussion on So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've had the same census guy show up twice asking about my neighbors. He asked about my next door neighbor the first time, said he ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy..

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've had the same census guy show up twice asking about my neighbors. He asked about my next door neighbor the first time, said he tried several times, there was never anyone home (BS, my neighbor's wife is a stay at home mom with a couple of kids, usually has some of the other moms and kids around all day). So I told him how many people lived there. Couldn't really answer any of the other questions (except race and I wouldn't answer that for them). The second time he couldn't find an address, because it doesn't exist! That really reinforced my confidence in the results (not). He seemed very nice, though.

I am curious why those who say just fill it out and send it in, not asking that much, is why the government wants to know my race / ethnic background on the census? You can't use it legally for anything unless it is voluntary, right? (But if I don't fill it out there is a fine involved, which sounds mandatory.) Unless maybe you plan on gerrymandering districts based on assumptions about which races vote for what parties, which would be illegal on several levels.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I am curious why those who say just fill it out and send it in, not asking that much, is why the government wants to know my race / ethnic background on the census? You can't use it legally for anything unless it is voluntary, right? (But if I don't fill it out there is a fine involved, which sounds mandatory.) Unless maybe you plan on gerrymandering districts based on assumptions about which races vote for what parties, which would be illegal on several levels.
    -sarcasm-

The Right Wing rednecks want to know where are the minorities are!!!! we are being put into camps!

-/sarcasm-
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Have you read the Constitution? It's, um, kinda IN THERE.

The actual clause states:
    [An] Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.
    and the final bill (i.e. LAW) states in part
    ...distinguishing also the sexes and colours of free persons, and the free males of sixteen years and upwards from those under that age.
    Note that that law is from 1790 - it's not some newfangled attempt to gerrymander anything...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well...there you go...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm wondering if questionaires are different in different areas. I've heard people mention questions that weren't on ours. IN ours, it was very simple.... name, race, age, address.
    Me too. My form only asked: Name, Race, Age, Adress, and Relationship.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    username: oneshot

On secert moderator list

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^UH OH^^^^^^^^^

See below

10. Discussion of illegal activities except in reporting the actions of others is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned. Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed or the poster will given the opportunity to edit their admission out of the post. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well. In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law.

I know your kidding; and so am I!!
    Sorry ,could'nt resist

Blaise Pascal:
    Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    The questions on the Census were ALL answered when I filed my Federal taxes. I know not everyone does that, but I did, they already had ALL my answers.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Yeah, SIGMan, but the Census is still Constitutionally mandated. Unless and until it is officially amended, they MUST take a census every 10 years. As to the "some questionnaires are more equal than others" issue:

The number of questions in the decennial census has varied widely since the first in 1790, where census takers logged the name, gender, and race or each member of a household, to 2000, where a multi-page form with dozens of questions was sent to one out of every six households. In 2010, the Census Bureau trimmed the questionnaire to just the basics: name, gender, race, and ethnicity or each person, and whether the dwelling was owned, rented, or "occupied without payment of rent." A more detailed list of questions, called the American Community Survey (ACS), is sent to selected households in addition to the shorter headcount forms and in non-decennial years to allow the Bureau to do statistical sampling. According to the Census Bureau, about 3 million households are selected to receive the ACS each year.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    I understand it is a law to fill it out and return it, and that is just what I did. I mailed it back the day after I received it.

Anyone who got a form similar to mine, I don't see a reason to NOT answer the questions. Had I received a form that had what I felt were more intrusive questions, I may feel differently.
    Thomas Jefferson

I was pleased to see, for the first time, that they allowed you to choose more than one "race" for a person. 'Bout time!
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by Exp View Post
    I have gotten 2 total visits. The second guy parked on my dang lawn.
    He would have been very rudely directed to remove his vehicle from my property. I have nothing against census workers, filled mine out like a good little American, got selected for the ACS (which I'm filling out today).. but I spend great amounts of time and cash on the appearance of my yard, and tire tracks are NOT appreciated.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

I agree that the census is in the constitution. Bit it's use is now much more political than it was ever intended. It's no used to set voting districts, which are now more and more based on race and social economic parameters. It's not just to know how many people we have. Please do not believe it's that apolitical.

VIP Member
    but I spend great amounts of time and cash on the appearance of my yard, and tire tracks are NOT appreciated.
    Just don't do what that retired Marine in Detroit did!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yup. For heavens sake. Ten quick questions. Big deal.

Do what you are supposed to (mail back the form) and no one comes to the door. They come to the door, thank them for doing the job and answer the dang questions. They ask about your neighbor, if you can help out, help out. IF you don't know the answers, be truthful.

We have so many here who get themselves in a tizzy about perceived unconstitutional intrusions. Well, taking the census is fully constitutional and fully lawful. Moreover, this year's form is almost nothing compared to what has been done in the past. Piece of cake. Nothing at all to be worked up about.

We all live in one country; how about acting/talking like citizens of that country instead of fear filled --well, paranoiacs.
    I answered the 10 questions, minus providing my phone number. So, no problem with your point there. However, your bit about being asked about your neighbors, and 'help out' if you can is absurd. Who the 'h-e- double hockey sticks' do you think you are? I am glad you do not live in my neighborhood. Mind your own business!
    Last edited by carry ok; May 27th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    I answered the 10 questions, minus providing my phone number. So, no problem with your point there. However, your bit about being asked about your neighbors, and 'help out' if you can is absurd. Who the 'h-e- double hockey sticks' do you think you are? I am glad you do not live in my neighborhood. Mind your own business!
    Exactly...
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links