So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy..

This is a discussion on So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by shooterX +1 Although I do somewhat understand the birth date question, helps determine the age demographics. I answered correctly about our ages ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: So I had A Talk With Some Arrogant Census Bureau Guy..

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    +1 Although I do somewhat understand the birth date question, helps determine the age demographics.
    I answered correctly about our ages, but I did not respond to the question about our birth dates.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

re: carry Ok

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    I answered the 10 questions, minus providing my phone number. So, no problem with your point there. However, your bit about being asked about your neighbors, and 'help out' if you can is absurd. Who the 'h-e- double hockey sticks' do you think you are? I am glad you do not live in my neighborhood. Mind your own business!
    Not sure why you think answering questions posed by a census taker somehow gives you a reason to ask me, "who the 'h-e-.. do you think you are."

Census taker when I answered the door: "Sir, I've been to your neighbor's house a few times and no one is home; do you know how many people live there?

Me: Yes, I think 2.

Census taker: "Sir, do you know their race."

Me, "Yes, the are Asian from Viet Nam."

Census taker: "Do you know their name?"

Me: "Actually no. I have very little contact with them."

Census taker: "Thank you, can you give me your name and phone number in case we need to contact you again."

Me: "Sure."

Big deal. How does that become, "who the 'h-e-.. do you think you are."

And the answer btw to who the h I think I am is, I think I am a good citizen cooperating with government employees going about their lawful task. Why in the world would that be an issue for you?

Simply, Hopyard..............

it becomes 'who do you think you are', because you correctly state the legalities of the census. However, might you please point me to the part in the Constitution that specifies that you are responsible for answering for your neighbors?

You state, in your scenario, that you 'think' 2 persons reside in the residence in question. You have little contact with them, and do not know their names, but you seem certain they are Asian, from Viet Nam. You are a good citizen indeed!

Is that what the census bureau needs, your surmisings, and suppositions?

I reassert, mind YOUR own business, and let the census workers do their jobs, for themselves.

Best to you..............
    Last edited by carry ok; May 28th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I agree that the census is in the constitution. Bit it's use is now much more political than it was ever intended. It's no used to set voting districts, which are now more and more based on race and social economic parameters. It's not just to know how many people we have. Please do not believe it's that apolitical.
    So what is the political thing about the censes? If its not about counting people and not about trying to create voting districts of one demography what about it is political?

Ummmm the purpose of the census IS political...because districts are just that
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

One word...............

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    So what is the political thing about the censes? If its not about counting people and not about trying to create voting districts of one demography what about it is political?
    for you to research, if you please.

And the word............G-E-R-R-Y-M-A-N-D-E-R-I-N-G

'NUFF SAID
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

VIP Member

re: Carry OK

it becomes 'who do you think you are', because you correctly state the legalities of the census. However, might you please point me to the part in the Constitution that specifies that you are responsible for answering for your neighbors?

The census taker asks a question of you which they are lawfully allowed to ask. They are going about asking you a question in order to accomplish their task. It is my and your citizenship responsibility to cooperate.

In this situation I was not "answering for your neighbors." I was responding to a question directed at me by an official.

How would this be any different than if an LEO came to your door and said something like--"We got a report that they haven't been seen outside recently and they are older, and no one is answering their door. Do you know if they are out of town?"

For heaven sake, what is so wrong with some of the people here who think that cooperating with officials doing their job is a big deal?

And Mr. Carry, note that it is not about me inappropriately introducing myself into my neighbor's business. It is about me responding to an official asking me a question while performing their official business.

How does that get turned into, "what business is it of mine?"

VIP Member

re: Carry OK, on Gerrymandering

for you to research, if you please.

And the word............G-E-R-R-Y-M-A-N-D-E-R-I-N-G

'NUFF SAID
    Actually, the census has nothing whatsoever to do with Gerrymandering. It would be helpful to you if you had some basic understanding of how the process of creating Congressional districts works.

Step one: The population of every nook and cranny in a state is determined by the census conducted through the Federal Government under our constitution. This is information gathering and nothing more.

Step two: STATE (not Federal) legislatures must draw congressional district boundaries with approximately equal numbers of citizens in each district. To do that they need the census information.

Step three: The STATE (not Federal) legislatures draw these boundaries in whatever crazy quilt way they think will benefit the majority party in a given State legislature. That process almost always involves some gerrymandering, but don't blame it on the census; blame it on the local pols jockying for position.

Note, the process of drawing the district boundaries is separate from
    the gathering of information on population.

Also note, the Federal requirement is strictly a matter of "one man one vote." The districts must be equal in population. There is no law that requires Congressional districts to be any particular shape. That is a matter for the state legislatures to decide.

I am, Mr. Hopyard,

going to forego the strong, nearly overwhelming desire to personally insult you here. You have a real nice day, there!

p.s. I must admit, I could only restrain myself for a short period of time. Ergo, p.m. sent, and I confess that I was 'sorta nasty. It felt rather therapeutic.
    Last edited by carry ok; May 28th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Why do they need my name, why do they need my phone number, and why do they need my birth date?

I filled out the part they needed, how old are you xx and how many people live here x.

For me its not about being parinoid, I just dont give that info out. That is the same reason why I dont buy stuff online. I like the fact that you cant google my name and see my address or phone number and I plan on keeping it that way.

Note: Most of the people on here dont use thier real name. Think about it.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we screwed up".

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    To revisit my earlier post about why the Census asked race and why the government wanted that information. Yes, I know that the 1790 law specifies race, but that was because blacks got counted as 2/3 of a person for purposes of determining how many seats a state got in Congress. "Non tax paying indians" weren't counted either. Now in this day and age, we count blacks as whole people, and we don't care whether Native Americans pay taxes or not, they all get counted. The law had to be amended to do all of the above. Why is the government still asking about race? And why all the ethnicities in the race section? Per the 1790 law, shouldn't the government only be asking about whites, blacks and tax paying indians?

Why ask about sex? Again, in this day and age, it doesn't matter for determining the number of seats. Same goes for whether I rent or not.

Any why ask age AND birthdate?? If I give you my birthdate, you can easily determine if I will be of voting age by the next election cycle (which again, is the only legitimate reason to ask).

VIP Member
    2ndAmend - so, now you get to pick and choose what laws you will follow, and what clauses of the Constitution apply to you? Must be cool to be you...

AutoFan - Why do you care so much if someone in the federal govt knows if you're a man or a woman? Stats are important, for lots of reasons - none of them so the feds can rate your carcass for sale to the aliens based on age, sex, and race...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Just an observation. Mr. Opfor and Hopyard, (not to connect the two in any way) both seem very angry individuals, due to the tone of their posts. Interesting that both identify themselves as Federal agents, one retired, one apparently active.

Specifically, Mr. Hopyards comment on my post, wherein he accuses me of being ignorant, regarding congressional districts. He is, apparently, 'the last word' in such matters.

Mr. Opfor, in his most recent posts, writes, to Mr. 2ndAmend, quote, 'Must be cool to be you.....'

It seems sad that this quality of individual is allowed to be employed by our Federal Government, in any capacity. Hopefully, these are rare examples in the ranks.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ... It seems sad that this quality of individual is allowed to be employed by our Federal Government, in any capacity. Hopefully, these are rare examples in the ranks.
    Remember the saying, "Never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance or stupidity"? I would also caution against global statements based on this thread's exchange. Step on a guy's toes, he'll get upset and step on yours. Then it's your turn. Could they have been smoother, or clammed up? Sure. The post above could have, too.

I have had points of agreement with each of the two mentioned above, and have also had points of disagreement. Most of the time they've conducted themselves as gentlemen and I hope to extend to them the grace they've shown me. Please don't dump on them - sure, I think they have screwy ideas on occasion, but they're on our side. Frankly, I would wish to have MORE like them in Federal service.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member

TO Paymeister Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Remember the saying, "Never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance or stupidity"? I would also caution against global statements based on this thread's exchange. Step on a guy's toes, he'll get upset and step on yours. Then it's your turn. Could they have been smoother, or clammed up? Sure. The post above could have, too.

I have had points of agreement with each of the two mentioned above, and have also had points of disagreement. Most of the time they've conducted themselves as gentlemen and I hope to extend to them the grace they've shown me. Please don't dump on them - sure, I think they have screwy ideas on occasion, but they're on our side. Frankly, I would wish to have MORE like them in Federal service.
    Thank you.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links