Need help...

This is a discussion on Need help... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; uh Tubby....that was a pretty generalizing statement don't you think? And I'd disagree with you as well ( too much to handle, don't shoot them ...

View Poll Results: What caliber to get...

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll

13 32.50%
  • 30-06

15 37.50%
  • .300 Win Mag

12 30.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help...

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    uh Tubby....that was a pretty generalizing statement don't you think? And I'd disagree with you as well ( too much to handle, don't shoot them well). But I can reciprocate and say 308 folks usually were dressed funny by their mommas. What was that all about? As far as leading to lost game, are you smoking something? And finally, if you go for moose with a 308, hell I don't even know what to say about that.

We all have opinions but dude. Whitetails to mule deer, more than 2 dozen, never more than 20 yards after being shot. Never lost one. Never even had to put a second shot in one, at least I don't believe. Most of them free hand. And there are much better hunters out there than I.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    uh Tubby....that was a pretty generalizing statement don't you think?And I'd disagree with you as well ( too much to handle, don't shoot them well).
    It's based on facts and testimony from my customers as well as seeing hunters afield. When I worked as a guide, I saw many hunters with .300 super awesome game getter magnum rifles wound many game. Asked how much they shot the gun. Average answer was less than a box of 20rds to sight the gun in. Most popular reason why: the gun kicked too much.

But I can reciprocate and say 308 folks usually were dressed funny by their mommas.
    No clue what is meant by that.

As far as leading to lost game, are you smoking something? And finally, if you go for moose with a 308, hell I don't even know what to say about that.
    No I'm not smoking anything. Again, I've seen more big game animals wounded with super magnums than killed. Ask any guide that's been around a couple years. They will tell you the same thing.

More moose have been killed humanely with a .30 WCF (.30-30) than all other .30 caliber "magnum" cartridges combined. In many Scandinavian countries, such as Finland, the preferred cartridge for moose is the 6.5x55 Swede. The .308 Winchester is the number 2 cartridge in those countries for moose, with the 6.5mm Swede being the number one by far. They both lack the "high" kinetic energy figures that the paper shows at the muzzle, where game animals are never shot. They both will completely penetrate a moose end to end. I've done it with both cartridges plenty of times to know this.

Just because one cartridge propels the same bullet faster doesn't mean it's any better let alone renders the other cartridge obsolete or inhumane for the same task. Before the .300 Win Mag was introduced, what do you think hunters used before that? .30-30s, .300 Savages, .30-'06, .30-40 Krags is what they used. All of a sudden the .300 WM comes along propelling the .30 caliber bullet 300fps faster than the .308 and all of a sudden overnight the .308 is garbage? Get real.

We all have opinions but dude. Whitetails to mule deer, more than 2 dozen, never more than 20 yards after being shot. Never lost one. Never even had to put a second shot in one, at least I don't believe. Most of them free hand. And there are much better hunters out there than I.
    Sure everyone has opinions, but don't for one second tell me the .308 Winchester is inadequate for moose. That is simply false; opinion or not.

I've killed a couple dozen moose and elk, over 300 deer (thanks to WI's CWD eradication movement where I worked as a subcontracted sharpshooter for the DNR). Killed 8 black bear, smallest was 350lbs and I used a 10mm for that one (200gr XTP @ 1050fps shot was 23y T&T the shoulders-dropped on the shot and didn't move again).

So yeah, I've shot some big game animals and have a little bit of experience from which I opine about cartridge selection for big game.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    30-06 is plenty for Moose and Caribou, there is more variety of ammo available than the 300, it doesn't kick as much, and in my experience 30-06 ammo is more available than even 308.

Ok cool guys!! I got some grate feedback and I think I am going to go with a 30-06. Now all i have to do is find one at a good price!

Thanks

Johnny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links