Need help...

Need help...

This is a discussion on Need help... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I live in Alaska and want to go hunting... In Alaska i want to go for Moose and Caribou. In Texas it will just be ...

View Poll Results: What caliber to get...

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll

13 32.50%
  • 30-06

15 37.50%
  • .300 Win Mag

12 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help...

Need help...

I live in Alaska and want to go hunting... In Alaska i want to go for Moose and Caribou. In Texas it will just be Deer.
    I want a Remington 700.

Now the hard part....

Right now i live in Alaska. Next year i will be moving to Texas.

I dont know what Caliber to get...

Thanks for your input!

Johnny

Although the 308 and 30-06 are good rounds and would probably do the job for you, I think that the 300 win mag, for what you are describing, is much less likely to leave you wishing you had just a little more power or distance in your round.

If i'm in Alaska and a momma moose or a hungry bear comes close, i would definitely want the win mag over the others!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post
    Although the 308 and 30-06 are good rounds and would probably do the job for you, I think that the 300 win mag, for what you are describing, is much less likely to leave you wishing you had just a little more power or distance in your round.

If i'm in Alaska and a momma moose or a hungry bear comes close, i would definitely want the win mag over the others!
    +1

Once you're in Texas you can always power down on the cartridge to take the smaller game. In Alaska the extra couple of hundred foot pounds going down range might come in handy.

bosco

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    300 winmag

.308 and 30-06 is great for deer. They can take down larger animals but you can't go wrong with a 300 winmag.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

308 because it is the most common of the three and all three preform very well.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member
    I swapped my 06 for 300 win mag ...oh maybe 20 years ago. I've never doubted the decision. If you were only allowed one of these three calibers, go 300. My Wyoming trips have gone by the wayside in the past 5-6 years so I've been hunting mostly smaller whitetails in eastern/central NC. Yeah, it's overkill but that's ok. I've never needed more but there is such a thing as too little.

One beauty of the 300 that I only came to realize in the past few years. If you load your own, you can play with the 300 and load an effective varmint load. It's much more versatile than just for knocking down elk.

I haven't done my homework on the costs effectiveness between the three calibers in question but I feel comfortable saying that it isn't significant. Not like getting in to Weatherby calibers or something of that nature. You haven't mentioned it in your criteria but I wouldn't let that influence the decision. Most of us don't shoot these calibers enough through the course of a year that it really matters.

As a general statement, you'll feel more recoil from the 300. Much of this depends on the rifle you choose. I've fired all three in single sessions at the range for comparison. Unfortunately, different rifles/models. Yeah, the 300 tops the others but not bad. I'm 5'7" / 165# and it doesn't worry me. If you can handle any of them, you can handle all of them.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    One other thought. If I were in Alaska for only a week, I'd have nothing less than the 300. 308 and 06 are fine calibers. Very fine. But......
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thanks for all the input thus far! I do reload. This rifle will be for hunting and some long range shooting, but not to much long range shooting. I have herd that if you use a .300 for deer that you will blow out the back side of the chest cavity, Is that true?

Also I have never been hunting for big game "big game being any thing larger than a coyote".

if i get the .300 what distance should i zero it at? i was thinking 150 yrds. But i dont know...

this will be my 3rd rifle. 1st being M4, 2ed 10/22, 3rd Rem 700 in caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    Thanks for all the input thus far! I do reload. This rifle will be for hunting and some long range shooting, but not to much long range shooting. I have herd that if you use a .300 for deer that you will blow out the back side of the chest cavity, Is that true?

Also I have never been hunting for big game "big game being any thing larger than a coyote".

if i get the .300 what distance should i zero it at? i was thinking 150 yrds. But i dont know...

this will be my 3rd rifle. 1st being M4, 2ed 10/22, 3rd Rem 700 in caliber?
    I have not heard of such damage happening to a deer... maybe if you use the wrong bullet?

most deer rifles are zeroed at 100 yards. I think it would depend on the optical setup you are getting for it and at what distance you will be shooting at most of the time.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you want the max out of the .300 win. mag, I would zero at 200yds. That will give you a "battle zero" which will put you in the kill zone of most big game, from 100yds. out to 300/325 yds. depending on the bullet you're using.
    And my vote is for the .300 mag. If you want a flat shooting long range cartridge and one that will put down LARGE game also..thats it!
    Later on in Texas, you can always trade it in on either the .308 or 06'..but you won't need to.
    As to blowing out the guts...won't happen with the right bullet. Use a 150 grain at a modest velocity for a .300 mag, and you'll be fine
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I say .308 is fine for everything. Use 150 or 165 for deer and caribou and the 180 for moose. Good bullets at moderate velocity will get your tag filled if you do your part.

I think the .300 Win Mag is too much gun for most hunters that carry one. It kicks more than they can handle at a range session so they don't practice with it enough and can't shoot it well. That leads wounded game and they just go out and buy a .338 Win Mag for the next hunt when they would be better off with a .308 or .30-06 that they can actually shoot well.

Using a cartridge that is just fast enough to keep a good flat trajectory over your skill range is all you need. Don't fight over an inch difference at 300 or 400 yards as chances are you won't even shoot half that distance, let alone hit anything at that range if you don't practice extensively.

I've seen more .300 Win Mag rifles traded in for a .308 or .30-06 rifle than any other changeup. Wonder why.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Actually I can't find a used 300 winmag anywhere... Well other then one on consignment at a local gun shop it was a savage and the guy wanted 650 bucks for it! 308 is sometimes hard to find used too.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    308 because it is the most common of the three and all three preform very well.
    I don't know where you're shopping but I rarely see .308. 30-06 OTOH is everywhere.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I vote '06, just because it's become the all-American. At least, that's what I think
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I'd go with the 06. One of the most versatile calibers around.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links