Wisconsin Veteran Must Remove Flag After Memorial Day,

This is a discussion on Wisconsin Veteran Must Remove Flag After Memorial Day, within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wisconsin Veteran Must Remove Flag After Memorial Day, Wife Says By Joshua Rhett Miller - FOXNews.com An Army veteran in Wisconsin will be allowed to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Veteran Must Remove Flag After Memorial Day,

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Wisconsin Veteran Must Remove Flag After Memorial Day, Wife Says

By Joshua Rhett Miller

- FOXNews.com

An Army veteran in Wisconsin will be allowed to display an American flag until Memorial Day, but the symbol honoring his service in Iraq and Kosovo must come down next Tuesday, his wife told FoxNews.com.

Dawn Price

Charlie Price, a 28-year-old Army veteran, will be allowed to fly this flag in his Wisconsin apartment only until Memorial Day, his wife told FoxNews.com.

An Army veteran in Wisconsin will be allowed to display an American flag until Memorial Day, but the symbol honoring his service in Iraq and Kosovo must come down next Tuesday, his wife told FoxNews.com.

Dawn Price, 27, of Oshkosh, Wis., said she received a call from officials at Midwest Realty Management early Wednesday indicating that she and her husband, Charlie, would be allowed to continue flying the American flag they've had in their window for months through the holiday weekend. The couple had previously been told they had to remove the flag by Saturday or face eviction due to a company policy that bans the display of flags, banners and political or religious materials.

"It's basically an extension so we can fly the flag on Memorial Day," Price told FoxNews.com. "It does need to come down after that."

Charlie Price, 28, served tours of duty as a combat engineer in Iraq and Kosovo, his wife said. To honor his eight years of service, she began decorating their apartment during Veterans Day in November. An American flag topped off the display, she said.

"I knew it made Charlie really proud to see that," she said. "And this isn't something new. This has been up for quite some time now."

Veterans' groups were furious at the realtors' refusal to allow the flag to fly.

"As a veteran, it sickens me that the Dawn and Charlie Price's building management company would imply that the American flag could be construed as offensive by their residents," said Ryan Gallucci, a spokesman for AmVets.

"We're talking about our most revered national symbol. This is insulting to anyone who has defended our flag honorably, like Charlie Price."

Dawn Price said she now works to amend the federal Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005, which states no "condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association" may stop someone from flying the American flag. The law, however, does not apply to renters.

"This has been eating at us since Friday," she said. 'The best way to fight this isn't getting an eviction and going after these people in court. That's just going to cost us a lot of time, energy and money."

Instead, Dawn Price said she either intends to place a curtain between the flag and the apartment window to block it from onlookers or will move it to a rear balcony come next week.

"We don't want to fight the eviction," she said. "We know we'd lose."

Officials at Midwest Realty Management, which manages Brookside Apartments, where the Prices live, did not return several messages seeking comment. In a statement to the Oshkosh Northwestern, company officials said the policy was established to provide a consistent living environment for all residents.

"This policy was developed to insure that we are fair to everyone as we have many residents from diverse backgrounds," the statement read. "By having a blanket policy of neutrality we have found that we are less likely to offend anyone and the aesthetic qualities of our apartment communities are maintained."

Despite the brief reprieve, Dawn Price said her husband is disappointed by the flag flap.

"He actually sees it as a slap in the face to his service," she said. "He's pretty upset about it, especially right around Memorial Day."

A Facebook group created by Dawn Price, "Freedom to Display the American Flag," had roughly 2,000 members as of Wednesday.

"As a father of a son [who] is currently serving in Iraq this blackens my heart!!!!" read one comment. "These men and women sign a blank check up to and including their life!"

Are these people who complain about the American flag being displayed mentally handicapped? Do they realize their complaints make them look like idiots?...getting sick and tired of reading about some small-minded simp with a little authority making this an issue
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

This always works out this way:

1. Some idiot HOA/Apartment bans US Flag

2. it hits news and goes viral

3. they get inundated with pad press, letters, and phone calls

4. they reverse their stupid decision

Dont people learn? Are they this stupid?

I'd be moving soon!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Here is a link to their contact page.
    midwestrents.com

I have sent them a note letting them know how wrong I think their policy is.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

"This policy was developed to insure that we are fair to everyone as we have many residents from diverse backgrounds," the statement read. "By having a blanket policy of neutrality we have found that we are less likely to offend anyone and the aesthetic qualities of our apartment communities are maintained."
    Do these pieces of.... You know what, I'm not even going to finish this post. My blood pressure just suddenly skyrocketed and I think I need to go lay down.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'd be moving soon!
    I agree...it's a stupid policy...

But the property owner has the right to set that policy...and have it enforced...

People who oppose it can and should vote with their feet by moving, or not renting there...

But those of us who served did it to protect our rights...which include property rights...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Just dropped a line or two, to Midwest Realty. If they know how to read and comprehend they will know that I am P.O.'d.

I urge others to do the same.

I you are offended by the display of our flag, go somewhere else.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

What would Jack Bauer say about that?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    Here is a link to their contact page.
    midwestrents.com

I have sent them a note letting them know how wrong I think their policy is.
    Message sent, short with broken thoughts, but the intent is clear.

If I were your company, I would think hard about getting permission from the property owner to allow display of the flag. You do a dis-service to all military members, active and retired. Without our military members bringing the fight to terrorists in other parts of the world, those terrorists would bring their destruction to our shores. All should be proud of what our flag stands for, a country unlike any other in the history of the world, born through the desire to have all treated equally rather than subserviant to a single ruler, and to allow it's citizens to enjoy freedoms to pursue life. If, as a property management company, you developed this requirement, than you should consider moving to France.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Note sent
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I also sent my note. If they don't reconsider their decision, the Prices should move.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

They where told they are allowed to place the flag on their balcony. If they are allowed to break the rules then so are others. Yes, I understand it is the American flag but they could simply display it proudly on their balcony without issues.

Oshkosh Couple Threatened with Eviction for Flying American Flag | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

“This is a window situation,” he added. “If they wanted to put a flag on their balcony we would have no problem with that.”

Time to move.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    So the management company flies the flag itself, you can fly a flag on the balcony, but putting it in the window is somehow NOT ok?? If they want a rule that says you have to have real window treatments in the window, fine, but to say you can't have a flag visible through the window when you can fly it off the balcony is just stupid.

They say they don't want things in the window to be offensive, but I find their policy about the American flag offensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links