Students exposed to their rights; teachers suspended

This is a discussion on Students exposed to their rights; teachers suspended within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two Norfolk teachers put on leave over material about police | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com Two Norfolk teachers put on leave over material about police Posted ...

Thread: Students exposed to their rights; teachers suspended

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Two Norfolk teachers put on leave over material about police | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Two Norfolk teachers put on leave over material about police
    Posted to: Education News Norfolk 90 comments

By Steven G. Vegh
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 27, 2010
    NORFOLK

Two Norview High School teachers were placed on paid administrative leave this week after a parent complained that they distributed classroom materials that gave advice on how to deal with police if stopped.

The materials - a one-page handout and a video distributed and aired in a 12th-grade government class - are sponsored by two organizations, one a nonprofit that supports legalization of marijuana and one that calls itself a "decentralized anarchist collective."

The last paragraph of the fl ier, titled "When Dealing with Police" states, "Remember You have legal rights, but many police will not respect your rights. Be careful - Be Street Smart."

Schools spokeswoman Elizabeth Thiel Mather said division leaders are investigating the incident over concerns that the materials were unauthorized.

The parent, who asked not to be named out of fear that her daughter could be ostracized or get a lower class grade, told The Pilot that she contacted the division and police after her daughter described the leaflet and video.

"She came home recently and said, 'You won't believe what we are learning in Government. They are teaching us how to hide our drugs,' " the parent recounted.

Last week, an Oakwood Elementary School employee was placed on leave with pay in connection with the distribution of plastic fetus models to children, which division leaders also considered unauthorized material. Oakwood's principal was also put on leave in connection with the incident, and an investigation is continuing.

Mather said it is uncommon to have to put staff on leave for using inappropriate materials. The division typically gets no more than two parent complaints a year about the suitability of textbooks or library materials, she said.

The leaflet handed out at Norview describes the rights citizens have if they are stopped or arrested by police or witness police activity. It is posted on the Web at http://tinyurl.com/35ju99t.

A credit on the leaflet reads, “Assembled by the Crimethinc Police Unwelcoming Committee.” On its website, Crimethinc.com calls itself a “decentralized anarchist collective.”

The video, “Busted: Citizen’s Guide to Surviving Police Encounters,” is posted online at YouTube - BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters. It opens with a portrayal of young adults stopped by a traffic officer who searches their car and arrests them for marijuana possession. Other scenes depict police questioning a young man at a bus stop and patrol officers who visit a home where loud partiers are smoking marijuana.

A commentator on the video states, "Whether or not you break the law, this video is designed to explain what the law is and how you can legally and properly assert your constitutional rights through even the most stressful police encounters."

For each scene, the commentator explains how legal rights apply to police searches of vehicles, homes or individuals and how people can cite those rights during encounters with police.

The video was created by Flex Your Rights, a nonprofit that advocates educating the public about how constitutional protections apply during encounters with law enforcement. The production has gotten 2.3 million viewings on YouTube since November 2006.

The video's end credits cite funding from the MPP Foundation, which is part of the Marijuana Policy Project. On the Web, the group advocates legal regulation for marijuana and noncoercive treatment for problem marijuana users.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sad!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    I'm pretty sure it is not the content but the context that is the problem here. Surely the teachers could have found a better example to illustrate the message they were trying to convey.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I don't think it's sad. The teachers were passing out pro drug pamphlets.

'You won't believe what we are learning in Government. They are teaching us how to hide our drugs,'
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is not the content but the context that is the problem here. Surely the teachers could have found a better example to illustrate the message they were trying to convey.
    +1 Nothing wrong with teaching kids what their rights are, just go about it in a smarter way.

Reality is, it's an imperfect world. To some, a law enforcement "badge" implies a right to use force, dictate terms, provide cover for hustles (or worse), etc. High school seniors are 18 yrs of age, or soon will be. Seems to me that knowing the score is a worthwhile exercise. Knowing one's rights, one's responsibilities, the limitations and realities ... that's a good thing. So long as it's not being couched in terms of pamphlets on how to hide your drugs, it doesn't seem a problem to me.

For example, I can see every 18yr old needing to hear much of what Ayoob presents in his Lethal Force discussions, in terms of the responsibilities, risks, how to work with police, being cognizant of your rights, etc. I mean, at 18 a person is an adult being expected to act like it without sufficient intel, yet because it's "high school" they're continuing to be treated like children.

The question is whether the parents in question were going overboard, or not. Haven't seen the pamphlets or handouts, myself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

teachers should not be pushing a pro drug agenda
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I don't think it's sad. The teachers were passing out pro drug pamphlets.
    + 1 I concur. We don't need any more pro-doper education in the schools (hidden under the guise of constitutional rights). That should have been left as an out-of-school activity.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Reality is, it's an imperfect world. To some, a law enforcement "badge" implies a right to use force, dictate terms, provide cover for hustles (or worse), etc. High school seniors are 18 yrs of age, or soon will be. Seems to me that knowing the score is a worthwhile exercise. Knowing one's rights, one's responsibilities, the limitations and realities ... that's a good thing. So long as it's not being couched in terms of pamphlets on how to hide your drugs, it doesn't seem a problem to me.
    +10. "Know your rights" means know *all* your rights, not just the ones approved by one president or another. And it should probably start, carefully, far earlier than age 18.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    +1 Nothing wrong with teaching kids what their rights are, just go about it in a smarter way.
    I'd like them to start with the 'Declaration of Independence' and the 'U. S. Constitution'. But that seems to be expecting too much these days of our public schools and of those that are running them.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Care to place bets on how the Powers-That-Be will react to their teaching about Jury Nullification?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Sponsored Links